Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC phone question

• 16-06-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Apologies is this is in the wrong forum.

I recently upgraded to the UPC phone/BB/tv package and while the BB and tv arre phone i have a question over the phone. The cable modem is hooked up to the pc one of the bedrooms where they have installed the new siemens phone.

However our main phone is in the hall(and one upstairs) these phones do not work now. Am i stuck with the phone they provide in the bedroom? As we can never heat it. Its quite baffling that it is set up this way and need to know if the other phones can work as their customer service well i wont go into how long it takes to get through to their staff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Most digital cordless phones will work with the UPC line. Try bringing the original base phone upstairs and plug the phone lead in to it, see if it works, your second phone should also work from it wirelessly as before. If the phones you have are old, for €25 each you can order a second or third handset from UPC.

Once you locate these in rooms where you can hear them, well then you'll be in business. I got two free UPC phones for some reason when I ordered and I bought two more as my Eircom phones were gone very shabby. So for €50 we have 4 cordless phones dotted about the house, ideal as our attic is converted in to a bedroom and it saves a lot of shouting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

When you switch to UPC phone you are actually using a VoIP service over their modem and broadband connection and not the Eircom phone line that comes into your house, which is what I'm guessing your other phones are connected to. However what comes out of the back of the UPC modem is exactly like a standard digital phone line, so as long as you are not using really old handsets which used pulse dialing (I have one old handset which still uses pulse dialing, you can actually hear it dial so you would know if you had one).

I'm not 100% sure that this will work as I've never been in a position to check it, but I can't think of a reason why not. If you have a phone socket on the room with the PC and modem in it, what I would do is this. Firstly I would go to the main eircom socket in your house, the one where the phone line comes in. I would open it up and disconnect the external line from the internal network. Then you should be able to connect the phone line from your modem to the socket (with a splitter if you still want the phone in the pc room) and then all the other phones should work as they used to. Again this is just conjecture on my half so I take no responsibility for any damage (although again I can't think why it wouldn't work) and to be honest I have no really experience so perhaps you should wait until somebody more knowledgeable weights in.

Advertisement