Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting rent with a couple

Options
  • 16-06-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

So, Rent for the apartment is €1000 in fairview in dublin. It's a two bed (doubles) apartment with both rooms.
    The couples room has an en-suite so i will have the main bathroom to myself.

I don't have a car while they have one each (i get a lift up and down from home at the weekends with one of them so i wont be using that as an argument)

Also they are good friends of mine so i don't want to have a massive argument over it.

At the moment they want to split it 600/400

I meanwhile want to bring it to 350 or 360

Is this perfectly acceptable for me to ask or should i be glad to be paying 400?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

big_show wrote: »
    So, Rent for the apartment is €1000 in fairview in dublin. It's a two bed (doubles) apartment with both rooms.
    The couples room has an en-suite so i will have the main bathroom to myself.

I don't have a car while they have one each (i get a lift up and down from home at the weekends with one of them so i wont be using that as an argument)

Also they are good friends of mine so i don't want to have a massive argument over it.

At the moment they want to split it 600/400

I meanwhile want to bring it to 350 or 360

Is this perfectly acceptable for me to ask or should i be glad to be paying 400?

I think that's pretty fair - 600/400 - plus all bills split 3 ways. I'd make sure that is agreed. You have a double room with sole use of main bathroom for 400 euro, which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Housesharing with a couple brings with it its own special, magical issues. Have a read of the threads below for your own interest. Obviously I don't know your particular couple but it's no harm to gauge other people's similar experience, good and bad.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055893757
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055803886

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Thanks for the replies, currently living with them now (3 bed, other guy is finished college moving home) they are in a long term relationship so its grand :) not worried about them breaking up and getting fleeced with rent!

Just wondering about splitting the monies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

yeah, 600/400 is fair - that means they're each only paying 100 less than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

If they have a parking space included in the rent and you have a bathroom all to yourself then I'd be happy enough if I was you. I'm one half of a couple my self and everything, including rent is equally split with the other housemates. We all share the bathroom although nobody else feels the need to clean it but that's another story :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

600/400 with bills split evenly 3 ways seems fair to me

Advertisement