Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 Month Wait for Test, Any Exceptions?

• 16-06-2010 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

After having 2 provisionals, the last expiring in 99 I've recently had to apply for my drivers permit for a job in the UK.

I thought I could get the permit, get an assesment lesson and some pretests and avail of a cancelation pretty quickly but I've been snookered by the new 6 month rule.

I understand the logic and as it's 5 years plus since my last provisional I'm benefitting in getting a fresh permit without having done or failed a test previously.

Has anyone have any experience of accelerating a test or recieveing an exemption on the basis of employment requirements or other reasons?

Who would I even appeal to about this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The 6 month wait before sitting the test is a statutory requirement. It cannot be shortened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Paul Mc

Just found this thread discussing it. Sorry to rehash.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055889608&highlight=moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

You can apply for the test anytime you wish and book a time for the test after your 6 months are complete. That way you can make sure you get to do your test exactly after 6 months of getting your learner license. That's what I did and I got my first test date about 2 weeks after I had completed the 6 months on my license.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

This is really a crazy rule if you have no car of your own.

So if you want to take lessons straight away and go for your test, you still need to wait six months even if you have no car.

Surely, if you decide to take lessons only, you should not have to wait for this long?

Another crazy situation was when a colleague of mine lost his Belgian driving licence and could get a new one here. So he decided to go for an Irish one and had to wait 6 months too even though he has been driving for over 25 years. So I was his experienced driver accompanying him although I have less experience in years than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

bigar wrote: »

So if you want to take lessons straight away and go for your test, you still need to wait six months even if you have no car.

Usually people who are just taking lessons and don't own a car take longer to learn to drive unless they are seriously loaded and have loads of free time to take several lessons a week. Alot of countries have similar rules for learners.
    Another crazy situation was when a colleague of mine lost his Belgian driving licence and could get a new one here. So he decided to go for an Irish one and had to wait 6 months too even though he has been driving for over 25 years. So I was his experienced driver accompanying him although I have less experience in years than him.

Honestly your colleague was a little silly, the cost of taking the driving test was surely more then the cost of a flight back to Belgium to replace his licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Surely, if you decide to take lessons only, you should not have to wait for this long?

My ma got my da's licence into the washing machine so he had to get a new one. His licence was spanish and he had no problem in getting an irish one here. He was given the option of getting an irish, or if he prefered just a receipt sort of thing stapled on his wrecked licence until he was able to over to Spain and get a spanish one over there.

Advertisement