Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Physics!

• 16-06-2010 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey! How hard is it to get a high grade (B1 or A2) In HL physics?? I am hoping for it and have worked fairly hard, but im really worried the topics i dont know well are going to come up!:( Anone any advice/predictions?
    For section A what experiments do ye think will make an appearance?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

I know people are only sticking to 4 experiments that are predicted...but to me this is madness! If you ONLY stick to what is likely you may find urself schnookered!!!

For the expreiments the top 4 to come are reportedly:
    • Boyles Law
    • Acceleration is proportional to force
    • Vaporisation of Water
    • Joules Law
    But rather than saying all 24 (or 25) Expts should be learned im only learning 13:
    • Focal Length of Concave Mirror
    • Snells Law
    • Acceleration is Proportional to Force
    • Conservation of Momentum
    • Boyles Law
    • Co-planar Forces
    • Simple Pendulum
    • Calibration of Thermometer
    • Specific Heat Capacity of Water
    • Vaporisation of Water
    • Speed of sound in Air
    • Joules Law
    • Resistance of a thermometer with temperature

Plus for Section B

Know definitions and derivations (will get you half marks in some questions and nearly full marks in Q5)

Electricity

Light (Tipped)

Heat (Tipped)

and the rest is repetitive.

Theres a great site to get some resources thephysicsteacher.ie

This man turned my grades around! He has great notes and theyre free. Especially like the short question notes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

If you have worked fairly hard as you have said then you should do well ive no idea what will come up this year because I did my leaving last year and I worked hard for Physics for the leaving (I didnt kill myself but then again I enjoy physics) but what I found helped me for my leaving was I left out studying for mechanics (partly because I missed a bit due to illness) but this allowed me to focus on other parts of the paper. anyway long story short if you have worked youll be grand after I finished my test last year I thought I did sh1t but I got a B1 in HL ( half a percent of an A2 bastards haha). Anyway best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

i am f*cked for physics to ssay the least. done sweet feck all for the 2 years... i dont know what to study, what to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I'd suggest going over half of the experiments which you did, counting out last year's experiments and the experiments that are too 'easy'.

I'm going over heat, mechanics (for Applied Maths too), modern physics, resistors and electromagnetic induction in great detail and skimming over the rest of the course. Just do past papers over the weekend until you go purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Ara lads will ye relax....

Physics is píss...if your stuck ya can figure out the solutions using a basic knowledge of the fundamentals of it...Fnet = ma works for all statics and mechanics questions....90% of question 5 is in the tables, if your asked for a definition, just write the formula and state what each term stands for, ya get full marks....

the experiments have huge amounts of overlap....calirometer, insulation, thermometer, heat source or coil of wire, thermometer....

avoid parallax, make sure equipment is calibrated properly, insulate the calorimeter, dust the trolleys, minimise percentage error...its all the same year after year!

Dunno about ye but im goin for at least an A2....relatively easy to get in physics compared to maths/ applied maths/ economics/ etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

what I found helped me for my leaving was I left out studying for mechanics

Me and my friends had recently palnned to do that. It's a definite full question but the rest of the course is so much easier and shorter in comparasion imo. I'm skipping light as well, just don't like it. I might be skipping too much but I think I'll be fine. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 _Music_

Cipango, Thanks a million! Very helpful:) Ya iv been using that site for a good while,its very good i think! Hopefully its a lovely paper and we all get on fine! I wouldnt be turning my nose up to 80 or so points!
    Thanks lads!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

_Music_ wrote: »
    Cipango, Thanks a million! Very helpful:) Ya iv been using that site for a good while,its very good i think! Hopefully its a lovely paper and we all get on fine! I wouldnt be turning my nose up to 80 or so points!
    Thanks lads!:D

No probs! All 4 may not be there, they could Boland us but I'd say you'll get your 3 from the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Yes, that post was a great help, thanks.

Advertisement