Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public health nurse checking up at creche?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Our son is 2 and a half. We received a letter from the public health nurse a few weeks ago, giving an appointment for us to take our son to see her for a developmental check-up. We were unable to make the appointment so I phoned the number given and left a message on the answer machine saying so, and that I would contact again to arrange another appointment when I can.

My wife's just back from work (I'm still in work), and phoned me to tell me that our son was visited today at his creche by the public health nurse - without our knowledge or consent - but being that our son was apparently asleep at the time the public health nurse did not inspect him.

The public health nurse then visited our home where my elderly father-in-law was in on his own and he gave her my wife's number to call, but she didn't.

Anyway, my question is, is it normal for a public health nurse to turn up unannounced at my son's creche to inspect him without our consent or knowledge? Frankly I'm quite upset by this. Of course I want my son to be assessed like every other child in Ireland, but I want to be present.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Never heard of that happening before. I would be upset if I were you too. She should have called to ask your permission before doing that.

Can you make a complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I'd be curious to know how she knew where your son was??

I didn't think a public health nurse would know what creche your son would be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

did the creche not ring you or your wife as soon as the nurse came in? strange. I would definitely ring or go into them and complain. i would get very annoyed if anyone came to see my child without my permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you have not made another appointment the nurse will be concerned it is due to you trying to hide something and they will try and check up on the child.
    I suggest you ring them asap and also ring thier supervisor in your local health clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks for the replies folks.

It would appear that wires may have been crossed between the creche, my father-in-law, my wife and myself.

Apparently what actually happened was, public health nurse visited our home saying that she wanted to assess our son. My father-in-law (who speaks little English and is slightly senile) told her that the parents are not in, he is the child's grandfather and he is in creche. My father-in-law then offered to walk the public health nurse over to creche (it's nearby) and she accepted. On reaching the creche they found that our son was asleep and so called it off.

So not as we initially thought but some things are still worrying me. Why did the public health nurse, after being told that the parents are not at home, proceed to the creche with my father-in-law (who is neither the child's parent nor guardian), with the intention of carrying out an assessment without obtaining parental consent?

Our son is small for his age (though this may be due to our race) and he is not speaking. At age two and a half this may be concerning and I would like to discuss this with the public health nurse when I am able to arrange an appointment. This is one of the reasons why I would like to be present when my son is assessed, but also I feel it's wrong that the public health nurse felt it was ok to carry out her assessment without even contacting the parents.

She left a card with her phone number so I will ring her shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

In fairness, the nurse probably encounters alot of parents that would not be as responsible and caring as you.

As far as I know she can call on the guards to help if parents don't co-operate with the visit.

Poly wrote: »
    As far as I know she can call on the guards to help if parents don't co-operate with the visit.

and I would agree with that. However, we were not given the opportunity to not cooperate, as the public health nurse neglected to contact either my wife or me. She seemed to intend on assessing our son in our absence.

In the mean time, I have just left yet another voicemail on the answer machine of the number given.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Poly wrote: »
    In fairness, the nurse probably encounters alot of parents that would not be as responsible and caring as you.

In all fairness, what has this got to do with anything? There was no mention of the police..so that completely doesnt apply.

As for the first part...granted, some parents might not be as responsible and caring, however, they are still legally in charge of the child and the public health nurse does not make to calls like that without contacting one of the parents first.

It's not like the parents have refused to cooperate or let the nurse see the child ever. It was ONE missed/undoable appointment...these things happen all the time.

I might add that I'm quite particular that our son receives all his injections on time, which I ensured until he reached 12 months. His next immunisation isn't due until aged 4.

Still trying to ring that number. Just rings then goes to answerphone.

Update:

Ok, just spoken to the public health nurse.

Apparently what happened was that she arrived at the house, asked for my wife or myself and informed my father-in-law that she was here to assess our son. At that point my father-in-law told the public health nurse that we are at work, and he proceeded to rush over to creche to get our son (creche is only over the road from us) - but not with the public health nurse - she stayed on our doorstep (my father-in-law can be quite panicky and I can imagine him doing this). He shortly returned and informed the public health nurse that our son was asleep. I was told also by the public health nurse just now that she wouldn't have proceeded with the assessment even if our son was awake, since neither my wife nor myself were present.

So it would appear that the public health nurse did nothing wrong and my poor old father-in-law's dementia is getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

If there is a thought that the child is neglected/abused there is a set way to deal with such matters, you cannot just assume you can do what you like because you have a 4 year degree in Nursing, a Doctor who is a far more qualified person cannot do that. However I know myself that there are a few nurses who see themselves as experts in everything!

As far as I see there are a few at fault here.

1. The Nurse - She should try contacting the parents if they are not in. She clearly is not checking to see if ye are trying to contact her and there are many working families in this country so to say neither parent is able to get the day off on a particular day should be no shock to her! I am sure she is not able to drop her appointments like a hat if she was the one being contacted about check up for her children.

2. The creche - The law states only parents/guardians/parent appointed person is allowed access to the child in a facility should as that. Sure if that is the case I could go to the creche around the corner in my nurses uniform and randomly just choose one of the children to look at. It is pure madness they should have told the PHN that the parents of the child did not contact them regarding this matter and for the safety of the child they are not permitted to allow anyone other than those with guardianship of the child near the child in their facility.

If the nurse has a worry about the welfare of the child she should bring it through the correct channels and not try to act the way she has!

Advertisement