Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Hard Drive - DVD Player - Television Problem

• 16-06-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'll take a chance that this is the most appropriate thread.

Last week I bought a Sony 32EX403 HD ready TV (it receives the RTE digital signal wonderfully North of the Border). I have a Toshiba SD DVD player, and an Iomega 1T external Hard Drive which I bought a few months back. My laptop is a old Dell inspiron 510m with precious little space left, operates with XP.

As an experiment I downloaded a copy of an episode of a popular American TV show, a relatively recent film release, and a '70's classic.

Now if I connect the Hard Drive to the DVD player via the USB port I get the following results:
    • I can quite easily watch the TV episode
    • When I attempt to watch the HD film the tv puts up the message ‘loading’ and almost instantly a message saying something along the line ‘HD not supported.’
    • Select the most recent film and it pops up the message ‘Loading,’ but that’s about it. I’ve actually had that film selected now for a good half an hour and it’s still giving the message ‘Loading…’

Any idea as to what is going on?

I'm assuming that the film was downloaded in a HD format - but not blue ray. And that the dvd player can't show it in HD, however, I would have thought that it could shown it in SD, after all if I buy a DVD that's in HD format and pop it into my player I'd expect it to work.

The reason I bought the hard drive was to store my collection of films and before I go much further I want to try and figure out what’s wrong.

As always many thanks for your help and support.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Hi Kevin,

It all depends on what file ext. the movie has -e.g. .avi can be played on alot of devices but .mkv won`t.....
    have a look at the manual of the DVD player to see what file extensions are supported but as most DVD players/tv`s have limited file support for devices connected via USB your best bet is to use a media player such as the WDTV live to watch your downloads/backups on.....these media playes support most video codecs and can be firmware upgraded to support new codecs

Advertisement