Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat roof on a house?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Went to look at a house recently and came away liking it. Have been told a few things by people which has now kinda killed our buzz. First, part of the house has a flat roof, not good, so we're told. Second, the house is just a little different, quirky, but only slightly. I like that. Third, the front garden isn't huge and is actually a communal area shared by three other house in the immediate area. Are we mad for liking this house? It's in Ashbourne - in Garden City, if that makes a difference as well. It's up for 200,000. Any opinions would be helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I've lived in a flat that was flat roofed and it was horrendous there was a leak in the roof and every time it rained we had a waterfall in the kitchen, landlord got it resealed but think he did it on the cheap cause it didnt stop the leak.....the leak ended up making the place damp it was a nightmare only good thing was i was renting so could leave if your buying and this happens it will cost a lot of money to put right

also make sure you get a surveyor to check out the flat roof and dont be cheap about it a proper structural survey by a reputable one is best

as for communal area outside it depends on the neighbours and what their like there are quite a few threads on here regarding noisy neighbours and they are in their own garden imagine if you have it more or less on your doorstep what would you do????

why dont you go have a drive round the area at various times of the day and evening aswell as weekends to work out what the area is like...its one thing seeing it at an approved time with EA when all is hunky dorky but best to check it out in your own time and unannounced to see what its really like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

LOOK on daft.ie ,what else can you buy for 200k .THE flat roof better be perfectly sealed,waterproof, if it rains it could be quite noisy.ITS much better to have your own garden separate, whats to stop some1 parking 3 cars in your yard.You could be blocked off ,i have to ask my neighbour to move his car, so i can go to work,
    Separate gardens were invented for a reason,how much does a fence cost?
    200 euro.What happens if you have a bad,stupid neighbour.
    would you be allowed to put up a fence on the right ,left as a condition of buying the house?
    its a buyers market.theres arty design and theres just plain stupid,
    house s have pitched roofs, attics, provide space for water tanks,storage,
    and allow the water to drain off quietly.

in regard to human nature, if people can do something stupid or selfish ,some people will do it.
    if i,m buying a house id expect to get 2 parking spaces out front that are mine to use.
    as above go there at ten pm, ten 30 ,friday, saturday night ,is there any kids hanging round making noise.Or just being obnoxious.
    i dont wanna come home and discover theres no space,or i cannot acess space to park my car.

fences , gates,entrances , driveways were invented to give each owner their own personal space, be it ever so humble.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 miseian

Thanks for the replies. We've been thinking about it and have, or so it seems, to have started to go the other way in thinking about the house. The flat roof is a big part I think. The area in the front is all a green area and seems very nice and quiet, not to say that it isn't at other times of the day. There is a small garden in the back which is great for the sun. The parking spots is something we'd have to think about as well, it seemed to be more or less communal parking. We'd be a bit worried about being able to sell it on in five or so years as well. Not to say that we might not stay longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

4 years in civil engineering in college, one thing that was DRUMMED into us by a lecturer was "never ever build a flat roof because they always leak".
    Now, in recent years, flat roofs have been done well and can work. But if it's an older house, I'd be a bit wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Get a surveyor to check it, our house is 21 years old, and a part of it has a flat roof and touch wood never had a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

my family recently had the flat roof changed to a pitched roof, other than leaks, the main problem was the insane heat in the top floor during the summer, other than that hearing the birds on the roof was pretty annoying!

Advertisement