Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Predictions/Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Cathal93 wrote: »
    Are you actually thick like? the irish section is the most pointless of the exam! Berlioz and Mozart created proper music! not just some twat from conemara on a whistle...good lord what kind of music students is there around the country like!! :O

I'm afraid the joke's on you... Irish music is worth the same amount of marks as your Q1 set works question...

Set works in total are only worth 13.75% and a lot of it comes down to your listening skills on the day so I don't know why people obsess over them so much... Irish music is much easier to do well in if you spend a bit of time learning your stuff. Also, practising the harmony and the melody question... it's worth 25% of your whole grade yet everybody ignores that to go listen to Mozart and obsess over a question worth 2%.

For what it's worth, not a hope in hell The Beatles will come up as Q1 again, it came up last year. She's Leaving Home will probably be the song that comes up, because they've really exhausted the possibility of asking different questions on When I'm 64 or Sgt. Peppers. Sgt. Peppers is least likely to appear because it was on last year.

Seachanges has never come up as Q1 and this is the last year of the current set works on the syllabus so it's likely. Otherwise I'd go for Berlioz or Mozart Movement I.

If a minor melody does come up, just do Q3 it's pretty much the same thing and I highly doubt they'll put a minor melody on both.

Good luck to everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Are you actually thick like? the irish section is the most pointless of the exam! Berlioz and Mozart created proper music! not just some twat from conemara on a whistle...good lord what kind of music students is there around the country like!! :O

Possibly the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. Take it you've never heard of the chieftans, altan, saw doctors etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fuzzel

So anyone have any bright idaes on how to prepare for the aural skills section?
    I did crap in it in the mocks and it looks like it'll be similar again if I don't do something to prepare XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Possibly the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. Take it you've never heard of the chieftans, altan, saw doctors etc...

When's the last time you saw any of them on the paper? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

Oh god this post really does make me wonder what type of music students there are in this country...

They usually feature every few years in the essays! Get learning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Cathal93

Oh god this post really does make me wonder what type of music students there are in this country...

I mean i know everyone wants to be patriotic and what not, but there's no way you could ever compare the works of berlioz (which i love) or bach or mozart or these extreamly well known classical composers, to that of irish music, with sean nos singing or whatever...NO comparrison!

Take out a piece of mozart, then listen to some irish music, and honestly tell me whats better, in fairness like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

to be honest i dont like irish music either..however its part of the exam..and it just has to be studied,..you just have to get on with it i guess! of course you cant compare works of genius like mozart to sean nos..pretend you like it...or else your like 25/30 marks down

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

my irish music essays:
    o'riada
    harping tradition
    influence on north america
    regional instrumental styles
    céilí bands

also, i was just wondering, my teacher said that some people don't actually do minor melodies? Is this true?
    cos once they're learned they can be easier than major, no modulation or anything required!

i hope the irish music listening isn't seannós, that stuff wrecks my head(albeit at form of music that should be respected etc etc see disclaimer...)

also did anybody do the composition elective earlier this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

Irish essays: Harping tradition, changes in Irish trad over the past 50 years, fusions, sean nos, group performance - Clannad, Riverdance/Bill Whelan and Collectors. I might learn most of them because they aren't too hard!

My teacher reckons minor melody/harmony too. I just did one there and they really are nicer than major ones! I'm kind of freaked out about the exam cos I'd love to do very well in Music, I'm just going to have to keep my **** together during the exam. Hopefully all will be well...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

I'm sorry ... I'm a little lost, who are we talking about here and can you give us any of these tips? :)

Macca = Paul McCartney. He was playing in the RDS, great gig :D but the tips thing was just a joke sorry haha, clearly I didn't get talking to Paul McCartney, I wish though :o Im a huge Beatles fan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 angel93

i was told that either mozart or deane will be the main question but more than likely mozart because more questions can be asked about it
    Please help if you can:
    for the composition how do you know if a piece is major or minor? is it by looking at the first few notes to see what chord they belong to?

angel93 wrote: »
    i was told that either mozart or deane will be the main question but more than likely mozart because more questions can be asked about it
    Please help if you can:
    for the composition how do you know if a piece is major or minor? is it by looking at the first few notes to see what chord they belong to?

they wont tell you to modulate in the information above, and there will be an accidental in the opening phrase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

omg hope its not mozart as q1... hate it... would much rather even berlioz coming up.. say it will be berlioz marche au supplice that will come up somewhere & maybe beatles she's leaving home... as for mozart maybe movement 3.?
    minor melody i say will come up.. hope its a major chord question so!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NR

In my sleep-deprived state I ended up making this earlier as an attempt at studying. 1999 to 2009 Irish Music essays, left to right

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...sard/Music.jpg

(Correction - Uillenn Pipes came up 2002)

frser32 wrote: »
    they wont tell you to modulate in the information above, and there will be an accidental in the opening phrase

Thanks so much. Will they definately not ask for a modulation if its minor? could they not ask you to modulate into the relative major?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Thanks so much. Will they definately not ask for a modulation if its minor? could they not ask you to modulate into the relative major?

No. If its a minor it will say on it "include a modulation...if you wish". As opposed to on a major "Include a modulation to the dominant.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Please help if you can:

Also to spot if it's minor check if the notes in the first bar are from the tonic chord because sometimes they don't have accidentals in the minor to throw you off. The first bar should always always have notes from the tonic chord, if it doesn't check if it's in minor.

thanks everyone who helped me out. i think i know how to tell if it's minor now.

one more thing: for the irish essay question, wil sean o riada be ok to use if a question comes up about composers/ performers?

• Advertisement

thanks everyone who helped me out. i think i know how to tell if it's minor now.

one more thing: for the irish essay question, wil sean o riada be ok to use if a question comes up about composers/ performers?

yes....dont be banking on him though;)

Hopefully the beatles, doubt it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭phileeoonskee

NR wrote: »
    In my sleep-deprived state I ended up making this earlier as an attempt at studying. 1999 to 2009 Irish Music essays, left to right

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...sard/Music.jpg

(Correction - Uillenn Pipes came up 2002)

Lol, Evan Boland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

So how'd everyone get on?Personally I thought it went well.I didnt like all the inserting the note questions but what can you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

the pints are already flowing :D:D

found it great :D:D think i might of fudged up a few questions here and there but feck it tis over!
    i hate the insertin notes but it was 4 the main melody which keeps repeatin so u could look further ahead and copy the notes kindaa...........i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

the pints are already flowing :D:D

found it great :D:D think i might of fudged up a few questions here and there but feck it tis over!
    i hate the insertin notes but it was 4 the main melody which keeps repeatin so u could look further ahead and copy the notes kindaa...........i think

Yup thats what i did as well...! :D just G,A,C.. didnt really know the values.. but ITS ALL OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

It went alright I guess, I thought the question about why he named it seachanges was a bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Tom Jones = Win to end all wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

What can you do now heyyyyyyy? :P FINISHED!!!!! :D:D AURAL SKILLS BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ . . . . it's not unusual. . .like a briiiiiiiiidge over trouuublesd waters! LOVE THEM SONGS :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

LL92 wrote: »
    What can you do now heyyyyyyy? :P FINISHED!!!!! :D:D AURAL SKILLS BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ . . . . it's not unusual. . .like a briiiiiiiiidge over trouuublesd waters! LOVE THEM SONGS :P

Absolute tunes! Even the supervisor was bopping away to them :p

Advertisement