Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband / Dublin 15 area. Any problems?

• 16-06-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

(Mods: I know this is a D15 specific post and it would normally be better to post in the D15 forum, but this forum is usually the first place people look when they are having broadband problems, so please please please can you leave it here for a day or two? )

I've been speaking with the L2 guys in UPC Support and they are trying to determine how many other users in the D15 area are experiencing random broadband disconnections, especially in the last 2 weeks. I'm trying to find others affected in the hope that it might help UPC pinpoint the location of the fault causing this.

So, if you are having similar problems, would you mind posting a reply with your general location (ie, Roselawn area, Coolmine area etc), and the times of the disconnections? Or you can PM me if you don't want to post this information publicly.

I'll then send the information on the the UPC area network manager for D15. Hopefully we can then get this persistent issue resolved.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I was disconnected from 10pm onwards last night and few random disconnections during the day today. Located in tyrrelstown.

Also my friend is having the same problem in Finglas (D11) as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Not much use to you, but I'm in Dublin 16 and we are having this disconnection problem persistently over the last two days. I'm only signed up two weeks and up to now it's been great, I'm getting very tired of it very quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Not much use to you, but I'm in Dublin 16 and we are having this disconnection problem persistently over the last two days. I'm only signed up two weeks and up to now it's been great, I'm getting very tired of it very quickly!

UPC was down for me Tuesday night , most of yesterday as well. Rang support and they said there were issues in D15 alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Having quite a lot of problems here, D15, Roselawn.

Started as far as I could tell the night before last. Seemed to just stop working, so I left it.

Then yesterday morning it was on the blink...working, then stopped working for a few minutes, then working again. Rinse, repeat.

Then through the afternoon it was OK, at least as far as others in the house told me. Then last night, it stopped again.

This morning it seems to be randomly disconnecting again. In fact, just did now...using my vodafone mobile broadband right now.

I didn't call them because I assumed it was a known problem. Should I?

LookingFor wrote: »
    Having quite a lot of problems here, D15, Roselawn. I didn't call them because I assumed it was a known problem. Should I?

Please call them or send an e-mail to customer.support@upc.ie as they seem to operate on the basis of if only one person is complaining they must be a nutter, but if several people complain, there is a problem. (That was the way they dealt with TV problems in the past)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Cool. I'll contact them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I'm in Clonsilla and have noticed it occasionally disconnecting recently. Haven't really taken much notice of it though as it's not too bad so couldn't give you exact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

It's an issue with the underground cabling, someone cut through one and it's reduced the bandwidth on the network in the area, so at busy times it chokes.

Work is ongoing for the last few days to replace a long strech of cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Please call them or send an e-mail to customer.support@upc.ie as they seem to operate on the basis of if only one person is complaining they must be a nutter, but if several people complain, there is a problem. (That was the way they dealt with TV problems in the past)

No point sending an email. The inbox is not monitored as far as I cant tell.

But yes, anyone having problems should ring them, and not just the first time it happens. UPC will only escalated to the Area Network Management team if more than 3 users in the area are having the same problem.

It's an issue with the underground cabling, someone cut through one and it's reduced the bandwidth on the network in the area, so at busy times it chokes.

Work is ongoing for the last few days to replace a long strech of cable.

Odd. Nobody in UPC support mentioned this. However, the problem I and others are having is going on for weeks now.

• Advertisement

No point sending an email. The inbox is not monitored as far as I cant tell.

But yes, anyone having problems should ring them, and not just the first time it happens. UPC will only escalated to the Area Network Management team if more than 3 users in the area are having the same problem.

They do monitor the e-mail, I have sent 3 mails to them and received a reply each time, yesterday I got a reply 15 mins after I sent it, with an answer and solution to my query, not just an automate response.

They do monitor the e-mail, I have sent 3 mails to them and received a reply each time, yesterday I got a reply 15 mins after I sent it, with an answer and solution to my query, not just an automate response.

Very interesting (no pun intended). I've sent 4 mails in the last 2 years or so and never got a human response. I've haven't bothered emailing them in about 7-9 months though, so perhaps they've improved.

...or they don't like me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

I'm in Blanchardstown and I've been having the same issue over the last week or so. I'm on wireless with two laptops - One has win xp with service pack 3 the other has win 7. They both say connected to the network, but will drop offline at any random time. Is there anything I can reference when I call in?

I'm in Blanchardstown and I've been having the same issue over the last week or so. I'm on wireless with two laptops - One has win xp with service pack 3 the other has win 7. They both say connected to the network, but will drop offline at any random time. Is there anything I can reference when I call in?

Ask for a complaint to be filed on your behalf if the issue is not resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, does the modem itself reboot, or is it just the wireless that disconnects? UPC can't resolve issues with the wireless.

Ask for a complaint to be filed on your behalf if the issue is not resolved in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, does the modem itself reboot, or is it just the wireless that disconnects? UPC can't resolve issues with the wireless.

I'm not really sure. The wireless icon on both computers says that it's connected but it has a self assigned IP address in IPCONFIG. When I looked at the router (Cisco btw) all the lights were on.

And I did try changing the channel. I was able to on the Win 7 comp in the advanced settings of my network adapter in the hardware manager, but that setting was not on the Win XP comp. I also tried logging into the router by typing 192.198.1.1 into firefox, but it prompted me for login/password which I did not have. I tried admin as login and password and 1234 as the passwords but neither would log me in.

Furthermore, if I wait about 10 mins, it does reconnect on its own, but that really is unacceptable IMO.

My husband just called UPC and they now have an automated message stating they are aware of the problem and are working to fix it. Thanks for your assistance.

(sorry for the double-post if that's frowned upon)

So the issue came back today and I called UPC. They declined any knowledge of an issue in the area. Back to square 1, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Since we changed to UPC (15Mb) in April or thereabouts there have been random disconnections on a daily basis.

Two different engineers working in the area have been collared with no real improvement. One even stated that "its kids kicking football against the junction box" which is causing disruption.

We are in Huntstown, D15

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I am in D15, and have had random disconnects in the last couple weeks! It usually takes place mid-morning and lasts about 20mins!

Also, I have noticed that our speeds never go above 350 kb/s and its a rarity it goes that high at all! :(

The last time I noticed an issue about a week ago, I was told there was an area issue and they were sending a tech out. Since then it has been okay, not sure if you're in a different part of d-15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I am in the CastleBlanch part of D15 !! ;-)

It never used to disconnect before! Only the last few weeks! My father must be on the 5mb package but I thought he would have got faster than 300k/s

py2006 wrote: »
    I am in D15, and have had random disconnects in the last couple weeks! It usually takes place mid-morning and lasts about 20mins!

Also, I have noticed that our speeds never go above 350 kb/s and its a rarity it goes that high at all! :(

I've begun to notice the same pattern...it disconnects between 9:30am and 10:15 practically every day.

I've been told it's being investigated by the network team and that I'll get a call. That was over a week ago though. They never call when they say they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

D7, blackhorse ave,..upc 30mb package,..modem started dropping out last night at 21:30,..all upc BB customers in our row of 10 houses effected,..modem disconnects/reconnects every now & again,...it's on now 9:15 wed morning but for how long,....was down on 2 occasions in the last 2 months both lasting a week,...tech replaced the output selector in the local junction box,..problem sorted until last night,...don't think it's the same problem as before as the led's on the modem are displaying odd sequences as if it being addressed from the head end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Just moved to UPC. All great for the last 3 weeks but this weekend I'm getting random disconnects maybe twice an hour. Support didn't seem too bothered, I asked about recorded disconnect codes etc but was just told it was because I was downloading a large file...I was downloading a psone game on psn.

Anyone else in D16 having an issue?

Advertisement