Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roundabouts...the stuff of nightmares

• 16-06-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm a driver feeling quite confident about driving now.......apart from roundabouts.

The issues really begin when I'm turning right and need to cut across the left hand lane to exit.................I'm told that you need to check in your left hand mirror to see if there is another car on your left side before you do this and if there is you need to go around the roundabout again and exit when it is safe to do so...BUT my problem is judgement...how close should this other car be to you before you decide not to take the exit?? It all happens so quickly that my heart is always jumping around when I have to do this manouvre.....

Also when entering the roundabout I have judgement issues with regard to when it is safe to do so...............does anyone have any handy hints for judging this??

All info is really appreciated,

Thanks

BB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

But if you are turning right (third exit usually) there should not be anyone to your left in most cases. If there are it is either because they have undertaken you or it is one of the rare multi lane roundabouts where two lanes can turn right such as some entering the M50.

As for entering, do so when no one is coming that will crash in to you obviously :D

You actually do need to be somewhat aggressive on a roundabout. There is no trick, just experience and in some cases (walkinstown) pure luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 IrishGreenSheep

I had the same problem when I was starting and I found the best thing to do is practice in the evenings when there is less traffic on the road, that way you can get used to giving the glance in your mirror without actually having to worry if there is a car there or not. Less traffic also means that you can judge your position better without having to worry about being in the way of other cars or them rushing you.

The key is is to take it slowly and not to let traffic coming behind you rush you, as long as you arn't going at a snails pace you won't be doing any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

my husband who taught me to drive..I passed first time no official lessons....always says "INDICATE and DO IT" ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

Hi..I see from your other posts you are from Galway. Maybe if it helps (and this is how I learnt how to manage roundabouts)...go to the Western Distributor Road which in the evening is a fairly quiet road and practice on them. They are all nearly single lane but you can practice "roundabouting" and it will boost your confidence.

You are a learner driver and believe it or not, probably more aware of roundabout use than a great big pile of drivers.

As for the Headford Road Roundabout....Close your eyes and drift. Burn tyres if you need to and clutch it. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've been driving for well over a year and have encountered many roundabouts and I've never had to go around because of somebody on my outside. They really shouldn't go there. Ideally you should check your mirror, before you are signalling left, and then give a good check to your blindspot as due to the curved nature of roundabouts, you can't always see a car on your outside in your wing mirror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

As you pass the last exit before yours, just before you start to indicate, look into that exit to see if any cars are coming onto it and indicating to turn left. These are the guys you need to watch out for. Being aware of them definitely helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

:(
    alanajane wrote: »
    my husband who taught me to drive..I passed first time no official lessons....always says "INDICATE and DO IT" ...
    Ha, that is great advice!, as often people who are not on a test run,will use get in the appropriate lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Brilliant advice on this issue.......a big thank you to everyone who posted........practice at quiet times seems like a great idea as well as keeping an eye on the cars entering the roundabout from the left where you indicate.

Thanks again and safe motoring,

BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I may be a bit late but I just tend to go for it on roundabouts. As you're on the roundabout, you've got the right of way and no one should come up onto your left when you're taking the exit. Unless they're already on the roundabout but even in that case if they're in the left lane behind you, they should be taking the same exit as you.

Just remember to signal in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrivingMad

Try having a look at this clip. Thought it was very helpful......
    http://www.2pass.co.uk/roundabout_safetogo.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

my problem is judgement...how close should this other car be to you before you decide not to take the exit??
    Like others here, I have never felt the need to abandon an exit. I think the key is early planning - you should be thinking about your exit before you even start to indicate left.

Try to be aware of what's around you throughout the whole maneuver. If a car is uncomfortably close on your left rear corner before you start to indicate, adjust your speed so that you have a clear space to move left into when the time comes to cross lanes.

It's important to establish your position early so that you have time to focus on the exit itself - in Limerick some roundabouts have pedestrian crossings about a meter from each exit. There seem to be near misses on a weekly basis when drivers are too focused on their mirrors to notice the stupid pedestrian crossing the exit:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Swatka

im in the middle of an advanced driving course and the way theyre forcing us to understand roundabouts is if youre taking the third exit to the right for example, indicate right, stick to the right lane on the roundabout then just as you pass the 2nd exit indicate left and move into the left left to leave the roundabout. the only time you should have to go back around is if theres somebody right on your nearside but if theyre a little bit behind were told to put the boot down to get ahead because theyre in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Who you doing the driving course with may i ask? I'm looking into doing myself maybe. Possibly the RoSPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just be glad you never had to tackle the old red cow :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I have a slightly related question, and this seems to happen quite a bit to me so maybe I am in the wrong.

If I am waiting for a gap on a two-lane roundabout (with two lanes approaching it) and I am in the right lane (going right) whereas the car to my left is in the left lane (going straight on) - should we both move off at the same time? As far as I know, you do, but often the car going straight ahead likes to take a straight line through the roundabout, and goes from the left lane, cutting across the right lane, back into the left and exits at the 2nd exit (basically taking a straight line rather than following the left lane around). This causes me to break as I am being cut off, but the other driver seems oblivious to it - was he in the wrong? Should I move off at the same time as a car in an adjacent approach lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I have a slightly related question, and this seems to happen quite a bit to me so maybe I am in the wrong.

If I am waiting for a gap on a two-lane roundabout (with two lanes approaching it) and I am in the right lane (going right) whereas the car to my left is in the left lane (going straight on) - should we both move off at the same time? As far as I know, you do, but often the car going straight ahead likes to take a straight line through the roundabout, and goes from the left lane, cutting across the right lane, back into the left and exits at the 2nd exit (basically taking a straight line rather than following the left lane around). This causes me to break as I am being cut off, but the other driver seems oblivious to it - was he in the wrong? Should I move off at the same time as a car in an adjacent approach lane?

You'll find the car on the left lane may feel he can move off before you as he/she is further away from the approaching traffic. You should move off when you feel it is safe to do so.

If the car to your left takes the shortest route to his exit and cuts across the lane you intend to use to turn right the he is 100% in the wrong.

If in the left lane he/she should remain in the left lane.

Your job is to remain aware of the possibility of it happening, try to anticipate it and react adequately if necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Good question. Yes, the driver on the left is entirely in the wrong. That being said, there are things you can do to prevent it. Make eye contact as you are both waiting to enter. Once you do get onto the roundabout, establish a position a good bonnet length in front of him so he can see without (god forbid :rolleyes:) having to look around that his 'racing line' is unavailable.

On the other hand, lots of drivers are inclined to creep forward at roundabout entrances. If the driver on the left is one of these, he could be half a car length ahead before you ever get moving. In that instance, enter a little more slowly and stay behind him - anticipate his mistake so that you don't have to go to brakes when it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Swatka

if the car is in the left lane he should stay in the left lane or use the right lane to get past the first exit then indicate and maneuver into the left lane.
    sentient_6 wrote: »
    Who you doing the driving course with may i ask? I'm looking into doing myself maybe. Possibly the RoSPA.

im doing it through fás with ISM the instructors there are great :) its the ism in the jamestown business park in finglas.

Advertisement