Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to the city via M20 to close 21st June.

• 16-06-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭

Just a reminder that access to the city from the M20 motorway via the Carew Park link road at the Rosbrien Interchange, will cease from next Monday 21st June at 9.00pm to finish work on the final section of the Shannon Tunnell/Southern Ring Road. However traffic coming out from the city will still be able to access the M20/M7 via Carew Park link road.

So if you are coming from Cork/Tralee or Kilarney and want to get into the city you will need to either take the Dooradoyle exit or continue on out the M7 and take the Tipperary/Waterford exit.

Knew this was happening but still hats off to the geniues who though of and approved this plan, incompetancy at its best.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I pity the Sales Manager in the Maldron Hotel. Disaster to be honest.

It is going to make traffic much quieter on the Tipperary road though because I would normally use this route to cross over to Clare but now I will probably try what its like to drive down to the Dock road and go that way.

It may become a crazy bottleneck until the tunnel actually opens but lets see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

So goodbye Tesco in Roxborough, with your short queues, easy parking and perfect spot right across the road from Aldi you were the gem at the end of the dual carriageway.

Oh well, back to the Crescent :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

bazz26 wrote: »

Knew this was happening but still hats off to the geniues who though of and approved this plan, incompetancy at its best.

I agree. Totally disastrous decision :mad:

I pity the people living down from Old Crescent Rugby club as traffic is going to be constant there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

445279.ie wrote: »
    I agree. Totally disastrous decision :mad:

I pity the people living down from Rosbrien Rugby club as traffic is going to be constant there

Yep that road, and up through Greenfields and the side of Ballinacurra Gardens is going to get traffic numbers fit for a motorway on what is basically a housing estate road from Monday onwards.

Plus no doubt there will be a spillover into Dooradoyle and down past the Crescent shopping centre.

I remember when this idea was first announced and the question of the congestion in those places was brought up, some genius in the road planning tried to claim that all the traffic would be using the new road.

I think he could not fathom that everyone coming in the M20 is not going to be heading for the tunnel and that thousands of cars per day will still need to get to the city for jobs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I actually think traffic on at the Tipperary Road interchange will actually get more congested at least in the short term anyway as people will not be familiar with the new route and will end up on M7 and the nearest exit off it at that stage will be the Tipperary interchange.

Even at the moment the traffic builds back up from the traffic lights right back up the slip road. Sometimes it can take over 5 mins before the traffic lights change and there is a very long queue of traffic on that slip road. Of course the bright sparks who design these plans are probably from up the country who have never travelled the route.

• Advertisement

I actually think traffic on at the Tipperary Road interchange will actually get more congested at least in the short term anyway as people will not be familiar with the new route and will end up on M7 and the nearest exit off it at that stage will be the Tipperary interchange.

Even at the moment the traffic builds back up from the traffic lights right back up the slip road. Sometimes it can take over 5 mins before the traffic lights change and there is a very long queue of traffic on that slip road. Of course the bright sparks who design these plans are probably from up the country who have never travelled the route.

One of them is local and does not even drive. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

All the traffic back on to Childers Road again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

If something is worth doing then its worth doing badly!

There's a right way and a wrong way to do everything.

If you can establish a point of logic then you have the platform to defeat it.

- I love the point made where they state People are going to use the Tunnel instead!

So People in County Limerick that had planned to shop in Tesco Roxboro or say use the Gym in the Maldron Hotel are going to drive to Clare instead and shop Lidl in Shannon Town Centre or use the Gym in the Clare Inn :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Raiser wrote: »
    So People in County Limerick that had planned to shop in Tesco Roxboro or say use the Gym in the Maldron Hotel are going to drive to Clare instead and shop Lidl in Shannon Town Centre or use the Gym in the Clare Inn :confused:

.....and get charged €3.80 for the privilege!

Ridiculous decision by the so-called "planners".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

What I think is it is a conspiracy so that people coming in from Cork and Tralee/kerry when coming in to Limerick wont need to pass by our infamous Southill. Stupid idea blocking an entrance in to a city??? what sense does it make??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

What I think is it is a conspiracy so that people coming in from Cork and Tralee/kerry when coming in to Limerick wont need to pass by our infamous Southill. Stupid idea blocking an entrance in to a city??? what sense does it make??

Hmmmm - I wonder if there's any truth in that? Wouldn't shock me to be honest.....

- Funnily enough the other day I was admiring the manicured green area fronting Carew Park as seen from the new flyover - More grass there than in my whole Dooradoyle Estate which was planned and built in the past decade......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Raiser wrote: »

And people in Janesboro/Rathbane/Southhill/CarewPark/HydeRoad , that want to shop in the Crescent will, instead of going home , head off out to Clare ..sure why would we want to head back home .

( a , I heard from a man who heard it from x , paragraph ) ... Apparently , when the idea was first put forward , the people in Carew Park objected to the road at the end of their estate becoming a main access road to the M20 , and tbh if you think of how it was back then it did kind of make sense . So a compromise was reached and it was only supposed to be a temporary road . Fast forward 15+ years and a lot has changed and I bet if you asked anyone in Carew Park now they would have no objection , but no one tried that . ( /end of he said she said paragraph )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I used the m20 to come to work every day...and i work in the LEDP in roxbro...this is a complete disaster for me...my option was to use the dock road and then onto the new motorway and come off in roxoboro but that isnt an option yet so looks like im left with the route in by the cresent shopping centre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Living in Dooradoyle this has a big effect on my travels.. I think the ballinacura/greenfields road might get off lightly as i for one probably wont use it for one simple reason.. the conditions of the road from the train gates to the lights on childers by lidl is totally fu**ed.. its like a mine field (my low profile tyres feel every bump).. i think the most pressure will be on tipp road/dooradoyle..

in fairness they say they want more footfall in the city centre but they then divert half the traffic away from the city and towards the retail parks and right past the crescent (the main competetor to town shopping)..

id say there is a bit of truth in the theory that they wanted to divert traffic away from that area.. i mean if you think about it its pretty hard now for an unsuspecting motorist to take a couple wrong turns and end up in lets say carew park, southill, weston..

jonski wrote: »
    And people in Janesboro/Rathbane/Southhill/CarewPark/HydeRoad , that want to shop in the Crescent will, instead of going home , head off out to Clare ..sure why would we want to head back home .

( a , I heard from a man who heard it from x , paragraph ) ... Apparently , when the idea was first put forward , the people in Carew Park objected to the road at the end of their estate becoming a main access road to the M20 , and tbh if you think of how it was back then it did kind of make sense . So a compromise was reached and it was only supposed to be a temporary road . Fast forward 15+ years and a lot has changed and I bet if you asked anyone in Carew Park now they would have no objection , but no one tried that . ( /end of he said she said paragraph )

Makes a total joke of the claims made in the past about the dual carriageway/motorway reducing the traffic on Childers road. All that will happen now is that from Dooradoyle to the Ballysimon road via Childers road will have more traffic on it. Leading to more congestion.

Knowing the expert planners, we can probably expect them to throw in extra traffic lights as their way of sorting things in the future.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Kess73 wrote: »
    Makes a total joke of the claims made in the past about the dual carriageway/motorway reducing the traffic on Childers road. All that will happen now is that from Dooradoyle to the Ballysimon road via Childers road will have more traffic on it. Leading to more congestion.

Knowing the expert planners, we can probably expect them to throw in extra traffic lights as their way of sorting things in the future.:rolleyes:

And a new roundabout or two for good measure

sioda wrote: »
    And a new roundabout or two for good measure

And a grand announcement as to how the roads are now congestion free regardless of what the truth may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

rewind 15 years and you'll see that every TD and local politican in the region lobbied for the road to be layed out this way ... under pressure from the locals of the area.

If I remember correctly - which I do - Willie O Dea and Michael Noonan were very prominent in the debate - it was big news at the time

Just goes to show where parish pump politics gets us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Alas this morning i have seen the solution....ladies and gentlemen...all is well....this moring they appear to be cabeling for traffic lights at the junction of childers road and hide road...
    Thank god...i was worried the flow of traffic on childers road would be restricted thus leaving me sitting in traffic jams on the way to work....but this will surely solve all my worries...Thank you Limerick county Council..

Please note: this post may contain considerable amounts of scarcism....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Nice one, another ambush spot for those who haven't yet graduated to hitting moving cars with stones. Should I wait another while to replace my windscreen that got damaged along that stretch - how many times can you claim on windscreen cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alas this morning i have seen the solution....ladies and gentlemen...all is well....this moring they appear to be cabeling for traffic lights at the junction of childers road and hide road...
    Thank god...i was worried the flow of traffic on childers road would be restricted thus leaving me sitting in traffic jams on the way to work....but this will surely solve all my worries...Thank you Limerick county Council..

Please note: this post may contain considerable amounts of scarcism....

In fairness that junction needed traffic lights along time ago. Trying to get across from Hide Road to go up towards Ballinacurra Gardens was a nightmare. Bizzarly they put traffic lights at a pedestrian crossing less than 100 meters up from the junction a few years ago.

Bizzarly they put traffic lights at a pedestrian crossing less than 100 meters up from the junction a few years ago.

They used to help getting off Hyde Road but the junction really needed those lights or people with the polite decency to let others out in traffic.

Oh well lights it is. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

so what's the official excuse for closing down that road? and could it not be prevented?

electron wrote: »
    so what's the official excuse for closing down that road? and could it not be prevented?

The City/County Council signed off on the plans with the NRA many years ago during consultation. They started protesting about it more recently and the NRA said it was far too late and they can go swing for it.

Basically thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'm confused. So people coming from west/mid Limerick (like myself) would be better off coming off the dual carriage way and going through Patrickswell and in the "Sunday drivers" road as I call it, in by Raheen and onwards??? I'm sorry but that just seems like we've gone backwards to the 1990's and sitting in the back of my parents car bored with all the traffic! :confused:

I'm confused. So people coming from west/mid Limerick (like myself) would be better off coming off the dual carriage way and going through Patrickswell and in the "Sunday drivers" road as I call it, in by Raheen and onwards??? I'm sorry but that just seems like we've gone backwards to the 1990's and sitting in the back of my parents car bored with all the traffic! :confused:

You could also exit at Raheen or Dooradoyle and head into the city that way or, like the NRA and Council would like you to do, keep on the M20 and exit for the City Centre/Shannon/Galway and then exit at the Dock Road and head in that way.

The Dock Road traffic WILL be much quieter than normal when the tunnel actually opens because many of the drivers on the dock road and heading through the city are actually trying to cross the city.

Don't go the Tipperary road way because I use that way and it gets mental from around 8:20am onwards.

Berty wrote: »
    You could also exit at Raheen or Dooradoyle and head into the city that way or, like the NRA and Council would like you to do, keep on the M20 and exit for the City Centre/Shannon/Galway and then exit at the Dock Road and head in that way.

The Dock Road traffic WILL be much quieter than normal when the tunnel actually opens because many of the drivers on the dock road and heading through the city are actually trying to cross the city.
    Don't go the Tipperary road way because I use that way and it gets mental from around 8:20am onwards.

The Dock road may be quieter than normal when the tunnel opens and takes some of the traffic, but if the M20 traffic that want to go to town start using it daily, then the Dock ropad will go back to being busy again, plus there will be a hell of a lot of traffic coming down the slip road from the tunnel to the roundabout on the Dock road, as no doubt lots of the tunnel users will be going out the N69.

It just seems they have lessened the traffic with one move, and increased it in other areas with another.

Take someone coming in from Croom looking to go to Thomas street. When the tunnel is open and the roads up and running too, will they now to be expected to come in the M20, turn off onto the bypass, drive to the cement factory slip road to get onto the dock road, then drive up the dock road, and work their way through the town?

Just seems like it will add more traffic and more time onto people's trips.

All I can see happening is more people using the Crescent shopping centre and just not bothering with town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

Berty wrote: »
    The City/County Council signed off on the plans with the NRA many years ago during consultation. They started protesting about it more recently and the NRA said it was far too late and they can go swing for it.

Basically thats about it.

lousy excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

when the road opens you'll be able to exit there when comiong FROM the tunnel direction right?
    so, in from adare, up onto new motorway, off at the dock road interchange, around the roundabout, back up onto the motorway dublin bound, and exit for rosbrien. avoiding the traffic at the old crescent rugby road, it will take about 3 minutes I'd estimate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The industrial estate off ramp will be used too - It would be a lot faster then going by dooradoyle road!

Advertisement