Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to the city via M20 to close 21st June.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Mc Love wrote: »
    Not a bad idea - the road is certainly wider than the rosbrien road.

Not enough room for this. The on ramp from the carew park side goes right up to the Rathbane flyover. There are 2 on ramps within 650m of each other so no room for an off ramp in between even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

jonski wrote: »
    Surely it would be a bad idea ? , it's residential both sides of the road .

So is the Rosbrien Road, that many people leaving the M20 use for access to the city, as well as all those from Raheen/Dooradoyle and surrounding areas.

Exiting onto Childers road shouldnt be a problem, the sequence of the lights needs to be changed to facilitate the influx of traffic from the M20
    pajoguy wrote: »
    Not enough room for this. The on ramp from the carew park side goes right up to the Rathbane flyover. There are 2 on ramps within 650m of each other so no room for an off ramp in between even.

Damn - didnt think of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Mc Love wrote: »
    So is the Rosbrien Road, that many people leaving the M20 use for access to the city, as well as all those from Raheen/Dooradoyle and surrounding areas.

Indeed , and it was never meant for that, but two wrongs don't make a right .

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

It is very easy for a Councillor to call for this with no sizing as to how much it would cost and no clear idea of the benefit... also the exit here was never costed

I dont think any of the ideas I have seen would work within the existing infrastructure. You cant simply close access from the Galway/Shannon direction towards Cork/Kerry in favour of an exit for just one location.. and this doesnt allow exit for traffic from the Dublin direction.
    You cant use a traditional cloverleaf as the northbound road is no longer a motorway at this point and already this junction is backed up every evening.

I would suggest creating a "TurnAround" road just after the Rosbrien flyover.. this would have the advantage of creating 1 piece of infrastructure to cater for traffic from all directions. Should be possible to build it without major disruption of the existing junction.

Let me know what you think - M20 - Junction.png

I dont know if that would work without buying the houses on either side of where the turnaround crossed the motorway there

I'd wonder if they were going to do something could do they something that would tie in with the Crescent SC .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Too many CPOs needed for that JPG route.

Houses, Cross 2 different roads, 2 of which you cross twice, negotiate the flyover over those roads, cross the traintracks twice and also you have swamp lands there.

But my opinion is that the infrastructure in Roxborough cannot handle the increased traffic that would come in the M20. There is very little that can be done in the area to support the increase in traffic that would not follow existing signs to the Dockroad. People, or "the user experience" would be to follow the shortest journey IF you don't know the area.

Personally If I was working in the city and came in from Adare each day I'd actually go onto the M7 and get off at Junction 29 in through Ballysimon. I couldn't be dealing with that traffic on the Dock Road. I come in from Newport every day and use J29 instead of coming in the Dublin road. Too many Industrial Estates and Schools on that route.

Berty wrote: »
    Too many CPOs needed for that JPG route.

Houses, Cross 2 different roads, 2 of which you cross twice, negotiate the flyover over those roads, cross the traintracks twice and also you have swamp lands there.

But my opinion is that the infrastructure in Roxborough cannot handle the increased traffic that would come in the M20. There is very little that can be done in the area to support the increase in traffic that would not follow existing signs to the Dockroad. People, or "the user experience" would be to follow the shortest journey IF you don't know the area.

Personally If I was working in the city and came in from Adare each day I'd actually go onto the M7 and get off at Junction 29 in through Ballysimon. I couldn't be dealing with that traffic on the Dock Road. I come in from Newport every day and use J29 instead of coming in the Dublin road. Too many Industrial Estates and Schools on that route.

Tried coming in that way before Berty and its much like the dock road, one big line of traffic. The major bottleneck on the dock road is the two roundabouts by the flyover/cement factory. It should nearly be two lanes from the 2nd roundabout to the roundabout by Roches Feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

how about....
    https://flic.kr/p/EeWgXt
    small underpass required close to the motorway -but the slip road off the M7 is at is highest here.... couple of days work tops !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

VikingG wrote: »
    I would suggest creating a "TurnAround" road just after the Rosbrien flyover.. this would have the advantage of creating 1 piece of infrastructure to cater for traffic from all directions. Should be possible to build it without major disruption of the existing junction.

That is a very neat solution for the two missing slipways.

CORK (M20) to ROXBORO (N20)
    DUBLIN (M7) to ROXBORO (N20)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

gryff wrote: »
    how about....
    https://flic.kr/p/EeWgXt
    small underpass required close to the motorway -but the slip road offcouple of days work tops !!

Couple of days work :pac::pac:

Maybe in China!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

VikingG wrote: »
    It is very easy for a Councillor to call for this with no sizing as to how much it would cost and no clear idea of the benefit... also the exit here was never costed

I dont think any of the ideas I have seen would work within the existing infrastructure. You cant simply close access from the Galway/Shannon direction towards Cork/Kerry in favour of an exit for just one location.. and this doesnt allow exit for traffic from the Dublin direction.
    You cant use a traditional cloverleaf as the northbound road is no longer a motorway at this point and already this junction is backed up every evening.

That looks so simple and yet it looks totally manageable. That's probably the best idea I've seen on it.
    Couple of days work :pac::pac:

Maybe in China!

Not just China though, you're giving Ireland way too much credit. Maybe in many every other country except Ireland. That would be more accurate :D

#MakeIrelandGreatAgain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A few posters on here are not very clued in on infrastructure construction if ye think that any solution here could be done easily, cheaply or quickly. The suggestion that an underpass idea would take a few days to build is hilarious. Even if it was possible it would take months of work and more than likely need the closure of the Roxboro/Cork exit for an extended period of time. And building the loop around flyover suggestion over a live dual carriageway would easily take a year and cost millions.

And none of that has anything to do with it being Ireland, it would be the same in any country that has proper safety standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

A few posters on here are not very clued in on infrastructure construction if ye think that any solution here could be done easily, cheaply or quickly. The suggestion that an underpass idea would take a few days to build is hilarious. Even if it was possible it would take months of work and more than likely need the closure of the Roxboro/Cork exit for an extended period of time. And building the loop around flyover suggestion over a live dual carriageway would easily take a year and cost millions.

And none of that has anything to do with it being Ireland, it would be the same in any country that has proper safety standards.

Planning, design and construction could be anywhere around 10-15 million depending on the solution id imagine???

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Tongue planted firmly in cheek when I wrote ' a few days'.. as no matter how simple a solution it will 'become' a major project costing millions and taking months/years to complete. I agree building over a live dual carriageway is difficult - but they did it on the double on the South link in Cork recently... all we need is money !

I remember a council proposal that the Roxboro Road (R511) was to be used for the two missing slipways.
    • CORK (M20) to ROXBORO (N20)
    • DUBLIN (M7) to ROXBORO (N20)
    Whatever became of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

And building the loop around flyover suggestion over a live dual carriageway would easily take a year and cost millions. .

Yes agree that is why I started the post saying It is very easy for a Councillor to call for this with no sizing as to how much it would cost and no clear idea of the benefit..... at the end of the day this is more of a pub conversation rather than a deep analysis of the options...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I remember a council proposal that the Roxboro Road (R511) was to be used for the two missing slipways.
    • CORK (M20) to ROXBORO (N20)
    • DUBLIN (M7) to ROXBORO (N20)
    Whatever became of that?

Well for one thing the distance between the on ramp and overpass isn't big enough, so you'd have cars accelerating along the on ramp to join the flow of traffic while cars in the driving lane are trying to use the same space to slow down to take the proposed exit.

It would be an incredibly dangerous solution which would definitely result in collisions.

source wrote: »
    Well for one thing the distance between the on ramp and overpass isn't big enough, so you'd have cars accelerating along the on ramp to join the flow of traffic while cars in the driving lane are trying to use the same space to slow down to take the proposed exit.

It would be an incredibly dangerous solution which would definitely result in collisions.

Then they must have had the other side in mind with two right-hand turns into the city when the traffic arrives at the Roxboro Road.

Then they must have had the other side in mind with two right-hand turns into the city when the traffic arrives at the Roxboro Road.

This option would take it through the middle of Rathbane Golf Club. The original plan was though up by councillors, who have no clue as to the practicality of their ideas. They were informed at the time that it wasn't an option.
    Plus there isn't a need for an M7 movement as you can take J29 at Ballysimon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Is something like this feasible?
    440241.JPG

The M7/M18 overpass of the M20 is wide enough for another lane. The M7-M20 lane could be separated from the green lane with a barrier, to stop cars cutting across the M20 merging lane. Not sure if roundabouts would be needed on the R511, but there is space.

Construction wise, the Roxboro-M7 slip would likely have to close for construction of an overpass, but there is possibly enough space on the M20-M7 slip to avoid closure.

On a separate note, is there any chance of the M7 between the M20 and N24 getting an extra lane? The traffic at rush hour is very slow, particularly near the N24 turn-off between 5 and 6pm

• Advertisement

Plus there isn't a need for an M7 movement as you can take J29 at Ballysimon.

Getting To Our Hotel (Maldron Hotel)

Maldron Hotel Limerick is one of the most conveniently located hotels in Limerick city, located just off the M7 and M20, and just 5 minutes drive from the Limerick Tunnel, Limerick city centre, Crescent Shopping Centre, Raheen Business Park, University of Limerick and the Regional Hospital and 20 minutes from Shannon Airport. As one of the best located Limerick hotels, Maldron Hotel Limerick is the perfect base when visiting the South West of Ireland.

Can't blame them for being ambiguous about the missing direct access from the M7 and M20. Were there not rumblings recently from them about the adverse effects is has on their business. That would be a real blow for the regeneration of the area if they have to pack it in.

Getting To Our Hotel (Maldron Hotel)

Maldron Hotel Limerick is one of the most conveniently located hotels in Limerick city, located just off the M7 and M20, and just 5 minutes drive from the Limerick Tunnel, Limerick city centre, Crescent Shopping Centre, Raheen Business Park, University of Limerick and the Regional Hospital and 20 minutes from Shannon Airport. As one of the best located Limerick hotels, Maldron Hotel Limerick is the perfect base when visiting the South West of Ireland.

Can't blame them for being ambiguous about the missing direct access from the M7 and M20. Were there not rumblings recently from them about the adverse effects is has on their business. That would be a real blow for the regeneration of the area if they have to pack it in.

Their site gives directions to get to the hotel via Junction 29 if traveling from Dublin or Cork direction. You only get sent out of your way of you're coming from the Cork direction. Junction 29 is perfectly adequate if travelling from the Dublin direction. I've stayed in many a hotel that were harder to get to than the Maldron.
    Also I've heard no rumblings about the junction affecting their business and I'm from the area.

That’s the reality, when selling their rooms the hotel is located just off the M7 and M20 but once the room is booked it’s a detour via Junction 29 (except for Galway).

As to what they recommend for travelers coming from Cork (M20), well I would nearly suggest that they even go in the other direction to Junction 2 (Dock Road) on the (M/N18) and then return back to Junction 30 (Rosbrien), with just a direct, short exit left to the hotel.
    FROM CORK (Maldron Hotel)

Follow M20 for Limerick, follow the dual carriageway sign posted for Limerick. Continue along this dual carriageway and follow sign post for Waterford continue along on left hand side of motorway, take exit 29 for Limerick and you will come to a set of traffic lights, turn left, continue straight on and go through the traffic lights heading towards Limerick, go straight through the 1st roundabout, continue along to the next roundabout and take 1st exit off that roundabout and continue along straight through two more roundabouts, you will come to a set of traffic lights and Maldron Hotel Limerick is on the left.

440287.png

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's a pity the M20 - Childers Road movement wasn't built with the Interchange and opened as a Bus Lane.

That way:

1. Buses coming from the M20 wouldn't have to take a ridiculous diversion to access the bus station which they don't have to on the way out
    2. In the event the decision was ever reversed there would be no need for upheaval and expensive construction works.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ricimaki wrote: »
    On a separate note, is there any chance of the M7 between the M20 and N24 getting an extra lane? The traffic at rush hour is very slow, particularly near the N24 turn-off between 5 and 6pm

Few minor items to make this better without a widening:

1. Lengthen the part of the exit slip eastbound so that traffic queueing to turn right onto the N24 isn't blocking access for cars turning left towards the city - the addition of the slip road at Northern Trust and the subsequent resequencing of the traffic lights is causing trouble here.

2. Extend the slip road markings further back so traffic exiting at Ballysimon can get off the mainline quicker - think there is a railway bridge which may cause an issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Berty wrote: »

That's a total pita. I drive from near either the Parkway roundabout or the Ballysimon Rd roundabout to Croom several times a week and on the journey out it is always much quicker to go directly onto the M20 at Roxborough. Coming back, it's always quicker to come through Rosbrien, though it would be quicker again to be able to come off at Roxborough. The only exception is close to Christmas when the traffic for the Childers Rd Retail Park is so bad that it's definitely quicker to use the M7.

I always feel pretty crappy coming off at Rosbrien because you are literally coming through a housing estate to get off the motorway. And I doubt the million and one speed bumps make much positive difference to the residents.

iguana wrote: »
    That's a total pita. I drive from near either the Parkway roundabout or the Ballysimon Rd roundabout to Croom several times a week and on the journey out it is always much quicker to go directly onto the M20 at Roxborough. Coming back, it's always quicker to come through Rosbrien, though it would be quicker again to be able to come off at Roxborough. The only exception is close to Christmas when the traffic for the Childers Rd Retail Park is so bad that it's definitely quicker to use the M7.

I always feel pretty crappy coming off at Rosbrien because you are literally coming through a housing estate to get off the motorway. And I doubt the million and one speed bumps make much positive difference to the residents.
    I really doubt it would change much if there was an exit at roxboro. Most people are going to go onto childers Road anyway either by the Rosbrien road, the Southhill Road and the ballysimon road. It would actually i believe alleviate traffic on those three roads by adding the extra road at Roxboro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

You can't currently come out by Southill, so Rosbrien and Ballysimon are the exit options. And alleviating the traffic coming off at Rosbrien should be a priority as it's a residential road and means driving right through Greenfields estate on a road that can't handle that traffic so is covered in speed bumps which double nitrogen dioxide emissions. It's a really crappy situation for the people living there with their livingrooms about 10m from traffic the road was not designed to handle.

iguana wrote: »
    You can't currently come out by Southill, so Rosbrien and Ballysimon are the exit options. And alleviating the traffic coming off at Rosbrien should be a priority as it's a residential road and means driving right through Greenfields estate on a road that can't handle that traffic so is covered in speed bumps which double nitrogen dioxide emissions. It's a really crappy situation for the people living there with their livingrooms about 10m from traffic the road was not designed to handle.
    Yes, and the alternative would be to send the traffic in by the Maldron Hotel, a road which has a sum total of zero houses fronting onto it and is sufficiently wide enough also with traffic calming.

The Childers Road and whats on it has no relevance here because no matter whether you send traffic down the Rosbrien Road or the link road by the Maldron you will use the Childers Road either way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement