Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New "Slim" Xbox 360

• 16-06-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Couldnt find a thread already made for this so...

Was going to order mine off amazon.co.uk, which are usually pretty fast on delivery, but I ordered it and the estimated date of delivery was 20-24th of July.

The release date for the console as you know is the 16th...and call me a fanboy all you want I really don't care, but I want mine on launch day.

So, basically what I'm asking is, is anyone else ordering from amazon, or does anyone have any indication what the actual date of delivery would be based on previous pre orders with them.

Or has anyone got any other good, fast delivering sites for me to buy it from?

Thanks,
    Luke.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I'll probably get mine in a shop on release day. Wouldn't trust ordering something as big/expensive as a console online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

They're £200 (~€240) on amazon and €250 to buy in-store over here. If you really want it on launch day then just spend the extra few euro and but it in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Suppose, I honestly thought the price difference was bigger. Cheers all the same, its off to GAME in the morning. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

rizzla wrote: »
    Wouldn't trust ordering something as big/expensive as a console online.

I have ordered consoles from Amazon before, they got here just fine tbh and in two days which was not bad. If anything happens in transit it's covered, you might have to send it back to them but they pay for it.

I've bought PCs and laptops online that cost 10 360s. I've never really been worried about what might happen in transit though. Never crossed my mind really.

Either way though, want a new 360 on launch day? Buy it from a shop.

Undead wrote: »
    Suppose, I honestly thought the price difference was bigger. Cheers all the same, its off to GAME in the morning. :)

You should probably bring in your old xbox too. When the elite came out they had an trade up option. I'm hoping to trade mine in and get the slim version for around €130/150. They'll transfer everyone onto the new hard drive as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

mgsrocks wrote: »
    You should probably bring in your old xbox too. When the elite came out they had an trade up option. I'm hoping to trade mine in and get the slim version for around €130/150. They'll transfer everyone onto the new hard drive as well.

Yeah I was looking online at Game's deals, you only have to pay 159.99 if you trade in a 60gb Pro, but wouldn't that mean they'd have to crack open the box and that in the store, cos otherwise how could you trade in your Xbox with HD THEN transfer data..

Oh, and @ Captain Chaos. Yeah I've gotten my VAIO online, and other stuff like moniters etc, its not the saftey aspect that worried me it was the time aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Seriously. How much of a muppet do you have to be to do this, THEN make a youtube video about it and claim this retarded flaw?

wouldn't that mean they'd have to crack open the box and that in the store, cos otherwise how could you trade in your Xbox with HD THEN transfer data.

Yep, they'll open it and transfer everything then pack it back up. I'm not sure how long the whole thing takes though, last time I did it I told them I'd be back in an hour and they had it waiting behind the counter.

Yeah I was looking online at Game's deals, you only have to pay 159.99 if you trade in a 60gb Pro

Just saw it, thought I'd put the link up for everyone:

From http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=446115285999
    The new Xbox is now up and available for pre-ordering on the GAME website for £199.99 (you can find it here > http://bit.ly/9PFSla)

Or . . .

Trade in your console in store and get it for less!

Here's an example of the kinds of prices you could pay:

Trade-In Console PAY EIRE

XBOX 360 ELITE £99.99 €124.99

XBOX 360 60GB PRO £119.99 €159.99

XBOX 360 20GB PRO £139.99 €189.99

PS3 SLIM 120 GB £24.99 €39.99

PS3 80GB £59.99 €89.99

PS3 40GB £69.99 €99.99

NINTENDO Wii £124.99 €164.99

Thats a good deal for anyone wanting to trade up from an elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Seriously. How much of a muppet do you have to be to do this, THEN make a youtube video about it and claim this retarded flaw?

While they are idiots, in their defense I don't think they were claiming it was a flaw. I think they were more making fun of themselves and how stupid he had been to move the console.

[/url]Thats a good deal for anyone wanting to trade up from an elite.

Looks like you'll basically get it for half price, which is a good enough deal I s'pose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Can't believe I bought a standard 250gb with forza one about a month ago - going to have to punch myself in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Dont know wether to trade in my elite for this or not?

Well the good news is that the new slim is incapable of suffering from the RROD.

It doesn't have any red lights.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/16/xbox-360-slim-17-smaller-than-original-incapable-of-rrod-ing/

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Dont know wether to trade in my elite for this or not?

I'd wait a few months and see what the general buzz is like if your elite is working fine atm. While I'm sure MS have sorted the problems that plagued the fat xbox, you'd never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I was just reading this thinking "ya know I have a half day today, may go to town and trade in my current xbox for a new versioN HHHMMMMMMMMM"...... what a stupid idea though? I mean why spend a hundred + bucks for something to play 360 games by trading in something ...... that plays 360 games???? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

hightower1 wrote: »
    I was just reading this thinking "ya know I have a half day today, may go to town and trade in my current xbox for a new versioN HHHMMMMMMMMM"...... what a stupid idea though? I mean why spend a hundred + bucks for something to play 360 games by trading in something ...... that plays 360 games???? :confused::confused:

It's like trading in an old car for a new car. They can both get you from A to B. But you want it, because it's newer, looks better and has some additional features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

hightower1 wrote: »
    I mean why spend a hundred + bucks for something to play 360 games by trading in something ...... that plays 360 games???? :confused::confused:

My thoughts exactly, unless there's something I'm missing? I have a new arcade, which is a lot quieter, so noise really isn't an issue, size doesn't bother me as it's on my TV stand anyway.
    I didn't really watch the E3 expo, but I thought these were the only improvements?

As for buying a launch day box, I think enough people got burned last time around, to make them think twice.

My thoughts exactly, unless there's something I'm missing? I have a new arcade, which is a lot quieter, so noise really isn't an issue, size doesn't bother me as it's on my TV stand anyway.
    I didn't really watch the E3 expo, but I thought these were the only improvements?

As for buying a launch day box, I think enough people got burned last time around, to make them think twice.

I have the N adaptor as it is so it'd strictly be for looks I'd be getting one but why spend 100+ bucks on a nicer looking console when no one sees it anyway? In fact the new hard drive isnt compatable with original box's so I wouldnt be able bring my drive to a mates or anything? It wouldnt make a lot of sense if it was just for looks but then loosing back compatability in hard drives...... dud move to buy one of these if I dindt need one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

My main reason for getting it is the wireless thats built in. My PS3 is grand over wireless, but when i want to use XBL I have to drag my modem across the loving room to reach my tv. Right pain in the gee.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    My main reason for getting it is the wireless thats built in. My PS3 is grand over wireless, but when i want to use XBL I have to drag my modem across the loving room to reach my tv. Right pain in the gee.

Sure an N adaptor is only around 65eur new? Why not just get one of those and save. At the end of the day your left with a N series wireless xbox 360 in ether case just with a lot more money in your pocket in one scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

No memory unit ports??? Am I reading that right? (Below number of USB ports). If that's the case they can shove it up their hole, I need a memory unit as I travel to different residences whilst in college in order to not have my XBox in an unsecured house in a student town. F**k you Microsoft, once more you've managed to disappoint!

niallon wrote: »
    No memory unit ports??? Am I reading that right? (Below number of USB ports). If that's the case they can shove it up their hole, I need a memory unit as I travel to different residences whilst in college in order to not have my XBox in an unsecured house in a student town. F**k you Microsoft, once more you've managed to disappoint!

There was no point since you can use USB sticks to transfer save games after the last system update.

I think thats why they threw on extra USB ports.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

hang on niallon, you can use up to 16 GB USB sticks for XBox memory for the last few months which is a much better solution. My profile and game saves for a few regular multiplayer games I play with my mates is on the Forza 3 USB stick I got with the special edition of the game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

mayordenis wrote: »
    Can't believe I bought a standard 250gb with forza one about a month ago - going to have to punch myself in the face.

Well your Elite can be moved without destroying the disk inside it !!

Also it has a 3 year Microsoft warranty while with this new one you only get 12 months so dont feel too bad in 13 months when these start to break down you'll be laughing, i feel bad for the suckers who will trade in an elitle for the same thing in a different box and pay a shop 125 euro for the privilage.

Take that 125 euro and go buy 3 or 4 new games.

Imagine you bought a Toyota MR2 for 10grand then the next day you see a Ferrari for 20grand you ask about it & they tell you its just a Ferrari shell put over a MR2 just like the one you have. It will perform no different, will do just the same things your car does now & the only difference is it looks a bit fancier and the good news is you can trade in your car plus give me 10grand and you can have it. Wow what a bargin !!:D

No it won't. For the love of Jeebus anyone who's reading this DO NOT try to move your Elite with a Disc inside it. It will destroy it.

Actually I destroyed a disc inside my console when someone knocked it over!
    Also it has a 3 year Microsoft warranty while with this new one you only get 12 months so dont feel too bad in 13 months when these start to break down you'll be laughing.

I don't think Microsoft can do that, all electrical products have to have a minimum 3 years factory warranty if sold in the EU (and up to six years in Ireland). Microsoft can say what they want but they will have to fix it if breaks through no fault of your own.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    No it won't. For the love of Jeebus anyone who's reading this DO NOT try to move your Elite with a Disc inside it. It will destroy it.

My elite has been moved all over the place ive stood it up put it down moved shelves and never once messed up, my launch model sometimes if the console falls from upright and hits the ground hard enough it might put a tiny ring stratch on the disk.

But neither come close to how bad this new machine is for scratching disks. In that vid the guy barely lifted it and it destroyed the disk!

Actually I destroyed a disc inside my console when someone knocked it over!

I don't think Microsoft can do that, all electrical products have to have a minimum 3 years factory warranty if sold in the EU (and up to six years in Ireland). Microsoft can say what they want but they will have to fix it if breaks through no fault of your own.

Well yes and no if you go all the way to court they may rule in your favour but it has been covered before. But Microsoft themselves introduced a 3 year warranty for the 360. This new machine ships with a 12 month Microsoft warranty.

But neither come close to how bad this new machine is for scratching disks. In that vid the guy barely lifted it and it destroyed the disk!

That's because they just inserted the Alan Wake disc so the machine was loading it up. If the laser's activated or he machine is trying to access information on the disc you're going to destroy it by moving it. A PS3 would burn and destroy the disc if you did that. Hell it happened me with CDs in Discmans back in the day when they first launched.

That video of the guy moving the 360 while the disc is loading is not a fault of the 360, it's a fault of human intelligence. You can move it around as much as you like if the machine is doing nowt, but much better to err on the side of caution.

The existing 360 already has a reputation for being extra sensitive when it comes to ruining disc too. So it's not like it's a new thing either. I've heard of people's discs getting destroyed because their 360 was upright and someone stamped heavily near the shelf it was on causing it to wobble slightly destroying the disc.

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »
    That's because they just inserted the Alan Wake disc so the machine was loading it up. If the laser's activated or he machine is trying to access information on the disc you're going to destroy it by moving it. A PS3 would burn and destroy the disc if you did that. Hell it happened me with CDs in Discmans back in the day when they first launched.

That video of the guy moving the 360 while the disc is loading is not a fault of the 360, it's a fault of human intelligence. You can move it around as much as you like if the machine is doing nowt, but much better to err on the side of caution.

The existing 360 already has a reputation for being extra sensitive when it comes to ruining disc too. So it's not like it's a new thing either. I've heard of people's discs getting destroyed because their 360 was upright and someone stamped heavily near the shelf it was on causing it to wobble slightly destroying the disc.

Sh1te i usually start installing a game then see all the dust on the black glass shelf and start cleaning it while im waiting for it to install ill pick up the xbox put it on top of the dvd player wipe under it put it back, put the ps3 on top of it to clean under that. Ive even pulled it out and turned it upside down to plug in a cable for surround sound !!

Walking a tight rope i think.

Advertisement