Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New "Slim" Xbox 360

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I'm guessing most stores that will be selling it will have their orders in stock now today?

Anyone out there know what deals xtravision will have or pricing? I've rang and nobody seems to know anything only that it's in today in their deliveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

funkyflea wrote: »
    I'm guessing most stores that will be selling it will have their orders in stock now today?
    Game in Galway rang to confirm my pre-order is ready for collection tomorrow, so I assume they have them in, yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Xtra-Vision offer:

Xbox 360 S €264.99
    Comes with HDMI cable and ONE game worth over €19.99.

Gonna cancel and go get it elsewhere I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

funkyflea wrote: »
    Xtra-Vision offer:

Xbox 360 S €264.99
    Comes with HDMI cable and ONE game worth over €19.99.

Gonna cancel and go get it elsewhere I think.

Yeah doesn't sound like a good deal from them

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

Does the new console come with a HDMI cable? I have a component cable at the moment and my box is red-ringed so won't be trading it.. Just wondering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

bmacma wrote: »
    Does the new console come with a HDMI cable? I have a component cable at the moment and my box is red-ringed so won't be trading it.. Just wondering?

not sure if it does, watched an unboxing of the xbox on youtube, and there didnt seem to be a hdmi in it, not sure if its the same for here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

No HDMI cable included. Not even the component cable.

Just the composite which I think is a disgrace in this day and age!!

Batesy wrote: »
    No HDMI cable included. Not even the component cable.

Just the composite which I think is a disgrace in this day and age!!

Do you use the HDMI cable? Is it worth getting, does it enhance the picture massively? I have a HD TV but don't think it's 1080..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You should definitely get a HDMI cable, you can get them for under €5

ShaneU wrote: »
    You should definitely get a HDMI cable, you can get them for under €5

They are $50 on the Xbox site but I presume you can get them in Maplin or somewhere like that on the cheap??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

A HDTV without a HDMI cable or a composite cable is a waste.

EDIT: You can get em in any electrical store! MS charging 50 euro for an add on? No surprises there.

Don't be fooled by high price HDMI cables. The €5 - €10 ones do the same job.

The composite cable can only output standard definition.
    The component up to 1080i
    The HDMI up to 1080p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

yeah you can pick up cheap HDMI cables, they're just better in every way than any other way of hooking up the xbox, don't spend big $ on them, they can be cheap enough, i got one with my xbox elite yonks ago

A HDTV without a HDMI cable or a composite cable is a waste.

Does the HDMI cable actually make much of a difference from the composite cable thought?

Yep. I think its like 560p with composite and 1080p with HDMI.

You basically have a HD TV and are only sending it SD.

Do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've got an xbox core, wired controller, no HD, wireless dongle. I've also got a Wii with 2 controllers and a balance board. Based on what some of you guys have experienced part exchanging, how much do you think I might be asked to trade in both against a new Slim 360?

I know it's like asking how long a piece of string is, but just a ballpark figure would let me know if it's worth pursuing.

Does the HDMI cable actually make much of a difference from the composite cable thought?

With the 360 & PS3 you get a component cable which delivers an SD signal, the composite delivers 1080i while HDMI delivers full HD 1080p. On a "small" tv (under 50") you probably wouldn't notice a difference between composite and HD but if your TV is a large one your defo better off going with HDMI.

You won't get much on the core. Maybe like €60 - €80 with the dongle.

If I was you I'd sell the Wii on adverts. You'd get between €150 - €200 with the wii fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

hi

does anyone know if there will be any game offers in hmv with the new elite..

im trading in my old console but wouldnt mind picking up some games.

With the 360 & PS3 you get a component cable which delivers an SD signal, the composite delivers 1080i while HDMI delivers full HD 1080p. On a "small" tv (under 50") you probably wouldn't notice a difference between composite and HD but if your TV is a large one your defo better off going with HDMI.

Switch "Composite" with "Component" and you have it spot on mate. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

My Xbox gives me 1080p through component.

Yeah, apparently it can output 1080p over component if your tv supports it. Never knew that.

So there's no advantage with HDMI over component.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭SeanyMc22

My Xbox gives me 1080p through component.
    Yep mine too.
    Any update on a 20Gb trade in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

20gb console trade in is €55 in gamestop, there's 25% extra if you trade in before Friday (today).

wireless dongle is €18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Yeah, apparently it can output 1080p over component if your tv supports it. Never knew that.

So there's no advantage with HDMI over component.

One advantage is that it outputs DVDs as 480p on Component, and upto 1080p on HDMI.

Knew it didn't look 100% :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TheHouse

They are $50 on the Xbox site but I presume you can get them in Maplin or somewhere like that on the cheap??

The official xbox hdmi cable kit is €13 in Game. Had a look in maplin today for hdmi cables, nothing cheaper than that. Tower records are selling HDMI cables for €10, don't know how long they are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

HMV won't take my elite off me. Why?

It RROD'ed? - No
    I dropped it in a bucket of water? - No
    The dog had its way with it? - No

The reason I was given was....

It's red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I have a POS 360 that died a while back. Its just a brick but I plan on trading it in when buying a new Xbox, under the WEEE scheme. According to this scheme the retailer has to take it off your hands.

Has anyone had any luck with that? I have a feeling I am going to meet resistance when I try and give them my useless lump of plastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I have a POS 360 that died a while back. Its just a brick but I plan on trading it in when buying a new Xbox, under the WEEE scheme. According to this scheme the retailer has to take it off your hands.

Has anyone had any luck with that? I have a feeling I am going to meet resistance when I try and give them my useless lump of plastic!

They've to take it, but you're not getting anything for it.

Advertisement