Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New "Slim" Xbox 360

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

whats the deal with the skyplayer on the new xbox?

is it still posible to download it ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Just get it in Argos they hve loads of them for €240!!

reserved mine online just now.

collecting it in the morning!
    Same, the Blackpool and Grand Parade Argos' in Cork have loads.

Edit: * The website is currently down, so if you haven't reserved one yet be quick in the morning :D *
    http://argos.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Actually scrap that question i just found what i was looking for.

Thanks.
    Ian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

225e in HMV Henry St Dublin, pre-order, took the 260e bundle, got Alan Wake and wanted CODMW2 but they hadn't got it so let me pick any game from charts, I picked Battlefield BC2.

Console looks nice and is quiet, hallelujah!
    No composite or hdmi or lan cable, just FYI. powerbrick is smaller too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

gambiaman wrote: »
    225e in HMV Henry St Dublin, pre-order, took the 260e bundle, got Alan Wake and wanted CODMW2 but they hadn't got it so let me pick any game from charts, I picked Battlefield BC2.

Console looks nice and is quiet, hallelujah!
    No composite or hdmi or lan cable, just FYI. powerbrick is smaller too.

thats not a bad deal at all for 260, kudos

ill try n pick one up next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Anyone know how much second hand consoles are goin for now? Hopin to pick an arcade up cheap. Just an average price, I don't need a store by store breakdown. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have one reserved in Argos Tallaght and St Stephens Green, but don't need either now after getting mine in GAME. If anyone needs a reserve in either Argos, PM me and I'll give you the reserve number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

check out the bargain alerts

I got mine with 6 games for 265 euro.

Argos all the way - didnt reserve it either

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Anyone know how much second hand consoles are goin for now? Hopin to pick an arcade up cheap. Just an average price, I don't need a store by store breakdown. Thanks :)

Check out Adverts, *ahem* buy mine *ahem* :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Do they come with a hdmi cable or does that have to be bought seperately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

HDMI has to be bought separately. Just pick up a cheap one, they all do the same job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I picked up a Logitec HDMI in tesco for €13.51. Reduced from €39.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Batesy wrote: »
    I picked up a Logitec HDMI in tesco for €13.51. Reduced from €39.99.

A €3 one will do the exact same job.

I know but you'll do well to find one for €3!!

The cheapest they had was a tesco brand 1 metre for €10.50.

The Logitec 3 metre was €3 more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

amacachi wrote: »
    A €3 one will do the exact same job.

That's like saying that a 3 euro McDonalds burger is as good as a 13 euro burger from a decent restaurant.

It's not really in fairness. A HDMI cable is a HDMI cable.

It carries a digital signal so you'll either see that signal or not. There's no rise in performance the more you pay for the cable.

Batesy wrote: »
    It's not really in fairness. A HDMI cable is a HDMI cable.

It carries a digital signal so you'll either see that signal or not. There's no rise in performance the more you pay for the cable.

The more expensive ones are usually gold or platinum plated which lead to clearer images.

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

The more expensive ones are usually gold or platinum plated which lead to clearer images.

stop now, before you dig an even deeper hole for yourself

you are wrong.

• Advertisement

Yep, i should really start investigating things i read on the internets a bit more before posting. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

That's a common misnomer. HDMI is digital so the signal is just a bunch 0's and 1's (e.g 0100101000110). If the signal gets trough it will be the exact same on a €3 (0100101000110) cable and €50 (0100101000110) cable. If it doesn't get through, you won't get a picture and should demand your money back.

In the olden days of analogue the cable quality mattered somewhat, but not in the digital era.

Correct

See the thing is for some reason i thought HDMI was analogue, hence why i thought what i posted was correct :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

€120 for one in Gamestop. You can buy them new off Amazon for about €140

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Feidhlim wrote: »
    check out the bargain alerts

I got mine with 6 games for 265 euro.

Argos all the way - didnt reserve it either

do the games say bundle copy on them? just harder to trade them in if they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

sink wrote: »
    That's a common misnomer. HDMI is digital so the signal is just a bunch 0's and 1's (e.g 0100101000110). If the signal gets trough it will be the exact same on a €3 (0100101000110) cable and €50 (0100101000110) cable. If it doesn't get through, you won't get a picture and should demand your money back.

In the olden days of analogue the cable quality mattered somewhat, but not in the digital era.

Not technically correct that. The likes of monster cables use production techniques which improve the quality of the cable mechanics.

Two main differneces are the cable formation in an oxygen free enviroment meaning less oxidation over time and better transmition rates. Another main difference in the manufacture of teh cables are the materiels used / the concentration of precious materials.
    fundimental laws of physics show that gold is a far better conductor of electrical signals that lesser metals , more expensive cables use better quality metals on the connector pins in the electroplating process.
    Specifically the amount of potassium gold cyanide will be an important factor.

I should know, I used to work for a very large connector company in processing, electroplating and quality controll by way of xrf testing.

So yes, he is correct in saying that by rule of thumb more expensive cables are "better" but in real world applications there is not a lot of noticable difference as judged from human eye to human eye.... put under testing though the electronic throughput will be higher on more expensive leads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Unless there is some extreme interferance or you want the HDMI cable to go 15 metres or so I really don't believe it matters a toss, 0's and 1's are just that 0's and 1's, a better cable won't make a 0 or 1 any nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

hightower1 wrote: »
    Not technically correct that. The likes of monster cables use production techniques which improve the quality of the cable mechanics.

Two main differneces are the cable formation in an oxygen free enviroment meaning less oxidation over time and better transmition rates. Another main difference in the manufacture of teh cables are the materiels used / the concentration of precious materials.
    fundimental laws of physics show that gold is a far better conductor of electrical signals that lesser metals , more expensive cables use better quality metals on the connector pins in the electroplating process.
    Specifically the amount of potassium gold cyanide will be an important factor.

I should know, I used to work for a very large connector company in processing, electroplating and quality controll by way of xrf testing.

So yes, he is correct in saying that by rule of thumb more expensive cables are "better" but in real world applications there is not a lot of noticable difference as judged from human eye to human eye.... put under testing though the electronic throughput will be higher on more expensive leads.

Not meaning to sound argumentative here, but what's the difference between a cable with a low electronic throughput and a higher electronic throughput if the display receives and decodes the digital signal? Digital signals are not susceptible to minor transmission loss due to using discrete signal as opposed to a continuous-time signal as in analogue. It shouldn't matter what quality of the signal is so long as it can be decoded without error. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

mayordenis wrote: »
    Unless there is some extreme interferance or you want the HDMI cable to go 15 metres or so I really don't believe it matters a toss, 0's and 1's are just that 0's and 1's, a better cable won't make a 0 or 1 any nicer.

But it will increase the speed of those "1's and 0's" marginally.
    Good point about the length of cable though, the attenuation on extreme lengths of cable will make a higher quality cable / connector more noticable and worth the additional outlay.

Advertisement