Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New "Slim" Xbox 360

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

why is this going into a pointless tangent? on hdmi cables?

only an idiot would buy a 100e+ cable over a tesco 5euro one

if it stops working after a year so what, just buy another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

BArra wrote: »
    why is this going into a pointless tangent? on hdmi cables?

only an idiot would buy a 100e+ cable over a tesco 5euro one

if it stops working after a year so what, just buy another one

True, was wondering that myself. But HDMI discussions are always fun.

True, but there are an awful lot of those idiots about.

True.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There was a chip engineer in the Richer Sounds forum before. Specifically, a HDMI chip engineer. He confirmed what most of us know. HDMI signals will be exactly the same on a 4 euro or 200 euro cable. Engadget reported the same a while back.

On a different note, I got my console today in Argos in Cork. Went to HMV who were selling it for 225 Euro, but they'd none in stock, a quick browse on the iPhone and I'd one reserved in Argos, and the lady there said there were plenty left. Argos were 240, which wasn't the cheapest, but definitely the most convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Has anybody bought from GAME yet? Won't be able to collect mine for about a week and was wondering if they have any offers running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

WHAT, it can't even be microwaved that sucks. So we can't move it while there's a disc in it and we can't microwave. Stupid Microsoft :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

hightower1 wrote: »
    But it will increase the speed of those "1's and 0's" marginally.
    Good point about the length of cable though, the attenuation on extreme lengths of cable will make a higher quality cable / connector more noticable and worth the additional outlay.

Care to quantify that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I got the xbox slim in HMV yesterday with Crackdown 2 for 240 euro. The offer they had was xbox s with splinter cell conviction (which iv played) for 240, so the lad behind the counter allowed me to get crackdown 2 instead. Also was able to pre-order FIFA 11 and Medal of Honor for 35 euro each . I put down a tennor deposit on each.

Care to quantify that?

Well, he's almost right. The connectors don't matter a damn, but if it's a long cable run, or if the cable run is near to a lot of EM emitting equipment, shielding on the cable is important.

If a cable is long enough, and unshielded, it becomes an antennae and will pick up all sorts of nonsense. Likewise if a cable is behind some heavy duty machinery, the machinery will induce signals into the cable. I used to do cable installation years ago for an IT company, and we had all sorts of nightmares with ethernet cabling unless we used shielded cable and grounded each end individually. The stuff we were doing had cables running behind industrial fridges and dishwashers, and over distances of up to 100 metres. Great fun!!

Having said that, no one's going to be doing that sort of cabling for a HDMI run, so any old cable will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Not bad nedved - I got one out of gamestop, with a copy of RDR for 260 (plus another 20 for a hdmi cable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Is it true that there is no slot for a Memory Unit in the new 360? Usually while gaming round in a mate's house, I'd slip my profile onto my MU and bring it with me for any achievements and high scores I might get. This will be pretty much ruined if there is no MU slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

deathrider wrote: »
    Is it true that there is no slot for a Memory Unit in the new 360? Usually while gaming round in a mate's house, I'd slip my profile onto my MU and bring it with me for any achievements and high scores I might get. This will be pretty much ruined if there is no MU slot.

Just use any USB stick or external hard drive you have. The Memory Units are being phased out, they're old skool.

Such a pity. I'm a sucker for using official gear, so I wasn't to into the idea of using USBs. It's safe enough to do this, I'm guessing? Won't lose any of my stats, etc?

Got mine today and am certainly not impressed with the "whisper quiet" claim. The fan makes a low vibration or very fast rattle type sound. I would have expected a low "woosh" sound, but I can hear it from 5 meters away. Not very impressed. I traded in an Elite because I used it for Sky Player and the noise drove me mad. Although this is a lot better, it is certainly nowhere near "whisper quiet"!

Anyone experience the same or am I expecting too much?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mine is practically silent. Quieter than the Sky Box and PS3 slim.

I'd actually describe it as a whine sound. I'm uploading a video which I'll link to. If the sound is normal, then that's fine. If not, I may be one of the first sad gits returning one of these because of noise. At least with this one it says "whisper quite" everywhere on the documentation. The question now is, how do you define "whisper quite": "Is it deaf grandmother whisper quiet" or "bold schoolboy whisper quiet"?

All I want is a quiet machine that I can watch Sky Player with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

deathrider wrote: »
    Such a pity. I'm a sucker for using official gear, so I wasn't to into the idea of using USBs. It's safe enough to do this, I'm guessing? Won't lose any of my stats, etc?

Whilst I agree that removing the Memory Unit slots was by the looks of things pointless, the USB system works flawlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i was gona get one in argos tomorrow but im super bored tonight, tempted to go down to xtra vision right now and get it for 250! closes at 10... or i could wait and get it in argos tomorrow for 250 with the 2 stack controller charger thing... im so impatient!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Has anyone noticed the fan noise coming from the new slim PSU, watching Sky Player its actually louder than the xbox itself.
    Its in an open cuboard so it might be just echo, leaving it on the ground outside might be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Has anyone noticed the fan noise coming from the new slim PSU, watching Sky Player its actually louder than the xbox itself.
    Its in an open cuboard so it might be just echo, leaving it on the ground outside might be better.

The PSU has been noted in quite a few places to be louder yes, but not "loud" of course.

Loving my new S, tis a really nice piece of work.

i cracked and got it in xtravision 5 mins before it closed! gotta go back tomorrow since i didnt get a bundle with it, the guy cudnt find the bundle/deal lists, so said come back tomorrow and he'd sort me out, with a deal, paid 250 for it, wuda been 240 in argos but im an inpatient f@cker ...transfering HDD data now :)

cant believe how quiet, small and shiney it is

• Advertisement

+1 Al, you can't help wondering if Microsoft had brought out this version first how much ground the PS3 would have gained. The new Xbox is pretty sexy. I'm delighted I upgraded from my core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pc World sell Matsui HDMI cables 1m for 6 euro. Got one there.

pretty annoying having to get the transfer data cable, ill try and return it tomorrow or trade it back in, im done with it after 30 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

-=al=- wrote: »
    pretty annoying having to get the transfer data cable, ill try and return it tomorrow or trade it back in, im done with it after 30 minutes!

Microsoft give them out for free through their xbox.com website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You can also just use a properly formatted external drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chepejohn

power supply a dud just last 20 min for me.....

Don't have an external drive :S ...Might able to sort something out tomorrow, the cable may have been supposed to come with the machine too, but he wasn't certain, maybe tomorrow will all be sorted, pretty damn cool machine none the less!

niallon wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that removing the Memory Unit slots was by the looks of things pointless, the USB system works flawlessly.

I'm glad to hear that. Although I'm still a bit touch and go about the idea, I was given a USB stick today, so it looks like I'll have to change with the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I transfered all my stuff using usb aswel! Its handy as hell!
    The xbox will format the external drive so just plug it in and transfer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

celtic723 wrote: »
    What did you trade in?

Traded in a load of old dvd's and cd's plus my hard drive, one controller, headset and wireless dongle..

They didn't have the cables though so have to wait to transfer across my game saves

Advertisement