Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New "Slim" Xbox 360

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

Microsoft give them out for free through their xbox.com website.

How do you get one for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭turnfan

bmacma wrote: »

They don't offer them for free anymore, but they are on sale in shops now.
    You might pick one up secondhand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cheapest I've seen for them is €16.99 in HMV.

A point to mention is that the new xbox can be loud if the disc isnt' sitting right in the machine. Not sure if other people noticed this but I found it very loud once or twice and seemed to resolve it by quitting, ejecting and trying to centre the disc in the machine..

anyone else find this?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Gamestop 249, Alan Wake, Batman Lego and some Motorbike game all included. Plus a voucher to get Fifa 11 for 25 euro when it is out...

I have noticed no noise at all, it is so quite...can't believe the difference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

bmacma wrote: »
    turnfan wrote: »
    They don't offer them for free anymore, but they are on sale in shops now.
    You might pick one up secondhand?

I bought a transfer cable for about 10 euro on ebay a few weeks before the new xbox came out...fecking thing didn't work. The HDD powered on when plugged in, but no prompt appeared on the screen for the transfer, and in Memory the HDD was not showing up, so beware buying a second hand one just in case.

I just transferred all the saves across via USB, it was sound, a tad slow, but no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

16.99 they are

i heard of microsoft giving them away but didnt really bother checking it out, hopefully i can just return the cable today and try n sort out a deal, fingers crossed, cause i completly dont need the cable at all now, kinda annoying... all good

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Gamestop 249, Alan Wake, Batman Lego and some Motorbike game all included. Plus a voucher to get Fifa 11 for 25 euro when it is out...

I have noticed no noise at all, it is so quite...can't believe the difference...

Got the same deal and tried out that game Pure, it's pretty decent actually.. Good laugh needed on breaks from Alan Wake :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

As an owner of an already "whisper quiet" PS3 and an Elite Xbox which all my games are stored on, so it aint that loud anyway, should I upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Fieldog wrote: »
    As an owner of an already "whisper quiet" PS3 and an Elite Xbox which all my games are stored on, so it aint that loud anyway, should I upgrade?

Na...if you have the HD space to install your 360 games then there's probably no need...though the Elite trade in prices are fairly attractive. I'd have been very much against the idea of trading up for the sake of it but as I expressed earlier in the thread there was certain factors that justified it to me but I doubt they'd apply to many others!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

It does give you an extra year warranty, so thats how I see my €76 spent. Also I got something shiny, new, and less power hungry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kevalz

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

miralize wrote: »
    It does give you an extra year warranty, so thats how I see my €76 spent. Also I got something shiny, new, and less power hungry :)

Thats exactly what im thinking, id rather have that security, I doubt its guaranteed for RROD not that thats going to happen is it, M$? Hellllloooo?

Thats an interesting question, if something DOES happen to go wrong, is it the same 3 year guarantee as a standard Xbox 360?

As a lot of people over on the PS forums launch PS3 machines all seemed to get hardware failure in or around the same time and of course I would fear some form of M$ disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Thats exactly what im thinking, id rather have that security, I doubt its guaranteed for RROD not that thats going to happen is it, M$? Hellllloooo?

Thats an interesting question, if something DOES happen to go wrong, is it the same 3 year guarantee as a standard Xbox 360?

As a lot of people over on the PS forums launch PS3 machines all seemed to get hardware failure in or around the same time and of course I would fear some form of M$ disaster!

The only reason it is guaranteed not to RROD, is because there is no longer any red lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    The only reason it is guaranteed not to RROD, is because there is no longer any red lights.

i figured that too when i first heard about the non red ring-ing

it now just spontaneously combusts when its broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

First off, please stop calling them "M$" it makes you sound neither smart nor clever.

As for the RRoD issue with the new Slims, they come with the same one year warranty as normal. There is no extended RRoD-based warranty because there is no RRoD issue. If one develops and it is to the same extent as the last one then I think it's safe to assume there'll be a similar extended warranty offered.

As for the only thing guaranteeing it won't RRoD being the lack of lights, well I'd say it's more to do with the redesigned and, to be honest, far more efficient internals in the newer models. That and the fact that it'll automatically shut down if it begins to overheat, should help protect people should anything go wrong and/or those silly enough to leave their consoles in poorly ventilated areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

miralize wrote: »

explain how you got it for so cheap please :-)

Preordered early (first week) in Game. Traded in my xbox 120Gb for €125 off. Also traded in my wireless adapter for €30ish i think. And I put down a deposit a few weeks ago for €20. So really €96.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anybody else find theirs is noise when standing up playing a disc, and whisper quiet when on it's side?

It's nearly whisper quiet on its side, have not stood it up when on!

Question for the people who transferred across their arcade games, did ye transfer the licenses too?

I didn't bother and they run fine on the new xbox.

I forgot to transfer one or 2 games and just used the download again option, those games run fine on the new xbox and still run on the old one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

CKWPORT wrote: »
    It's nearly whisper quiet on its side, have not stood it up when on!

Question for the people who transferred across their arcade games, did ye transfer the licenses too?

I didn't bother and they run fine on the new xbox.

I forgot to transfer one or 2 games and just used the download again option, those games run fine on the new xbox and still run on the old one too.

They'll work fine once you are connected to Xbox Live, if you don't transfer over the licence, they'll only show up as trial games when you are not on Live.

Cheers, thats sound, I'm always on live anyways so that fine.

As long as its not something you can be banned for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Cheers, thats sound, I'm always on live anyways so that fine.

As long as its not something you can be banned for.

Nope, its perfectly fine to do, I did it for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Got one yesterday evening

It is so much quieter than my old one it is ridiculous, it really is what it should have been like from day 1 though

Finally I wont have to turn up the TV so much to drown out the xbox, I swear my neighbours could hear my TV better than I could when I had the xbox on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

Does anyone know who will be selling the Reach bundle in Ireland (it's exclusive to GAME and Gamestation in the UK)? Was gonna upgrade to the new 360 this week but I think I'll just wait for the Reach bundle now as it is far better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

phant0m wrote: »
    Does anyone know who will be selling the Reach bundle in Ireland (it's exclusive to GAME and Gamestation in the UK)? Was gonna upgrade to the new 360 this week but I think I'll just wait for the Reach bundle now as it is far better value.

Yeah I think i'm going to wait now .. 250 pound and it includes halo reach and 2 controllers instead of one... I just know it will be sold in GAME I think I will pick it up in the north to save a few bucks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

phant0m wrote: »

I imagine GAME have exclusive rights to it in Ireland as well (that was the case with the MW2 console anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

Got mine a few days ago in Gamestop Clonmel. got a good deal i thought
    Xbox slim 5 games and 2 wireless pads for 270
    ok games are kinda old but hey
    halo 3 ostd or watever its called forza 3 pure lego batman and fifa 09

smilerf wrote: »
    Got mine a few days ago in Gamestop Clonmel. got a good deal i thought
    Xbox slim 5 games and 2 wireless pads for 270
    ok games are kinda old but hey
    halo 3 ostd or watever its called forza 3 pure lego batman and fifa 09
    09?? jesus surely they could give you fifa 10 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Finally took the plunge today, went into HMV knowing they had no stock of MW2 as someone posted earlier so asked the bloke could I swap it for a chart game. For €260 I got Red Dead and went for Splinter Cell as I had Alan Wake already, then after trades it only cost €105. Now to sell my 20gig...

Advertisement