Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New "Slim" Xbox 360

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭SeanyMc22

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I'd actually describe it as a whine sound. I'm uploading a video which I'll link to. If the sound is normal, then that's fine. If not, I may be one of the first sad gits returning one of these because of noise. At least with this one it says "whisper quite" everywhere on the documentation. The question now is, how do you define "whisper quite": "Is it deaf grandmother whisper quiet" or "bold schoolboy whisper quiet"?

All I want is a quiet machine that I can watch Sky Player with.

Mine seems to make noise when I insert a disc, its the fan at work yeh but its certainly not whisper quiet whilst running a game. I have my slim ps3 on next to it and thats quieter. Have I got a dud or is this normal? how silent should it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

Yeah I think i'm going to wait now .. 250 pound and it includes halo reach and 2 controllers instead of one... I just know it will be sold in GAME I think I will pick it up in the north to save a few bucks..

Yeah, I'll probably head up the north myself if GameStop in Cavan won't be selling it. I wonder would I have to preorder it first though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

phant0m wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll probably head up the north myself if GameStop in Cavan won't be selling it. I wonder would I have to preorder it first though?

Yeah it's one of them things that you may need to pre-order.. I shall pre-order just in case, was going to ring GAME in monaghan then I realised I was buying up north so probably ring newry tomorrow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

hi, i was thinking of upgrading to the new system, i have a 20gb 360 and was wondering what trade in is available for this model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

tonydude wrote: »
    hi, i was thinking of upgrading to the new system, i have a 20gb 360 and was wondering what trade in is available for this model?

I was also thinking of doing that, but the deals are not great. In game, if i trade in my console, i still have to pay €185

How much are elites going for new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

thorbarry wrote: »
    I was also thinking of doing that, but the deals are not great. In game, if i trade in my console, i still have to pay €185

How much are elites going for new?

52 euro on the day of launch in HMV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

tonydude wrote: »

I traded my 20 gig 360,non hdmi, into gamestop. If you just want the new 360 on its own you get nearly 70 off as a trade in against it. If you trade in against a deal you get 55 euro off

I went for a deal and i got it for 195 and i got Alan Wake,Pure and Lego Batman and a voucher to get the next Fifa for 25 euro. Its all in the latest magazine that they have in gamestop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

I went for a deal and i got it for 195 and i got Alan Wake,Pure and Lego Batman and a voucher to get the next Fifa for 25 euro. Its all in the latest magazine that they have in gamestop

Very annoying, I bought this in Gamestop yesterday as well but I went with the one free game and noticed on the sign that you can get Fifa 11 for €25 but I didn't get any voucher.

I can't go into them until Friday now because I'm in Cork for the week but do you think they will give it to me when I go into them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Once you have your receipt, I doubt it would be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Yeah just show them your receipt and maybe try to get the same member of staff you dealt with. It is all in the free gamestop magazine so check that out and show it to them if there is any problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone know is the trade in your Elite offer still going in HMV?

Think ill take the plunge if its available...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

chrislad wrote: »
    Once you have your receipt, I doubt it would be an issue.
    Yeah just show them your receipt and maybe try to get the same member of staff you dealt with. It is all in the free gamestop magazine so check that out and show it to them if there is any problems

Cheers for that - went into the Gamestop in Cork today and he said if I brought the receipt into him he'd be able to sort me out, but then as I was leaving he called me back and said someone had left a voucher after them and I could have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ph3n0m666

I presume gamestop test the consoles you are trading in - thinking of trading in my xbox 360 20g but the dvd is broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ph3n0m666 wrote: »
    I presume gamestop test the consoles you are trading in - thinking of trading in my xbox 360 20g but the dvd is broken

Yeah they will test it before taking it off you. I was reading somewhere else that the xbox slim has an aux port for kinnect. How will the elite work if it doesn't have the port?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Are many people really considering getting Kinect when it's released?
    I won't be getting at that price anyway. Probably won't get it at all actually. Doesn't really grab me at all.

I think Microsoft have made a mistake with this motion controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I was reading somewhere else that the xbox slim has an aux port for kinnect. How will the elite work if it doesn't have the port?

If you have an older XBox, you'll plug Kinect into a USB port and into the mains for power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Batesy wrote: »

No, if I want to run around playing football, I'll go out to a field with my mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

TBH, the Kinect port just looks like a USB3 port with one end bevelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Batesy wrote: »

Yeah I have mine pre-ordered in gamestop. Think it looks pretty cool and can't wait to see what they do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

Anyone else notice that there is a lot of noise from the Slim at times. I googled it and someone said to push down on the top (above the disc tray lying horizontally) and it will stop the noise.. I did this and it worked but wondering if this is a fault and should i bring the console back?

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Think I'll consider the jump when the matte black version comes out with Kinnect. I hate over-shiny electronics because they are just dust magnets - they look good for about 5 seconds out of the box and then are ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Can anyone summarise the current deals/trade in offers in Gamestop/HMV/Game/Smyths/Xtravision as of this week? Any new deals or offers? Thinking of picking one up early next week and have a Halo3 edition (hdmi+20gb) xbox to trade in. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Just curious but has anyone read the troubleshooting part of the manual if the disk doesn't eject? not bothered breading through 32 pages to see if it's been brought up already but if it hasn't go have a look, it's crazy/rediculous/stupid what they actually sugges made it into a manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

A few times ive pressed eject and hear the eject noise but tray doesnt open
    any1 else get this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Can anyone summarise the current deals/trade in offers in Gamestop/HMV/Game/Smyths/Xtravision as of this week? Any new deals or offers? Thinking of picking one up early next week and have a Halo3 edition (hdmi+20gb) xbox to trade in. Cheers

Smyths don't take back the consoles unfortunately but if you manage a private sale the offers are:

€250 with second controller and Lego Batman and Pure
    €280 with above plus two more games chosen from: POTC 3, Planet 51, Forza 3, Narnia, Lego Indy, PGR 4, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, Gears, Kung Fu Panda or LOTR Conquest

€285 with first offer plus one more game chosen from: Tiger Woods 11, Super Street Fighter 4, NFS Shift, Dragon Age, Iron Man 2, Mass Effect 2, BC 2, L4D 2 or Fifa World Cup

€290 you get the Sky Pack with 3 month sub, remote control and Sky sub and choose a game from the €285 list.

They may have changed since last week but when I got mine GAME offered nothing worthy of being called an offer, half price on selected titles, best of which was Crackdown 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

bmacma wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that there is a lot of noise from the Slim at times. I googled it and someone said to push down on the top (above the disc tray lying horizontally) and it will stop the noise.. I did this and it worked but wondering if this is a fault and should i bring the console back?

Thoughts?

Yep. Haven't tried pushing down on it, although I do feel like standing on it sometimes! I tried bringing mine back to Game and they would have none of it. It is quite loud and in no way "whisper quiet". I can hear the internal fan from 3 meters away (no DVD in drive) alternating between a low whine and normal fan noise. I think the whine is because the fan is not fitted correctly. But it's intermittent and it behaved perfectly when I brought it back. Might try again, but to be honest, I'm not sure there is any point. Maybe they all sound like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Yep. Haven't tried pushing down on it, although I do feel like standing on it sometimes! I tried bringing mine back to Game and they would have none of it. It is quite loud and in no way "whisper quiet". I can hear the internal fan from 3 meters away (no DVD in drive) alternating between a low whine and normal fan noise. I think the whine is because the fan is not fitted correctly. But it's intermittent and it behaved perfectly when I brought it back. Might try again, but to be honest, I'm not sure there is any point. Maybe they all sound like this?

Mine is whisper quiet without a disc in and fairly quiet when playing a game.. Until the noise i mentioned starts and then i need to get off my ass and push down gently on the top to get it to stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Fixed the last post with proper prices and games on offer!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Too the folk complaining of noise with a disc in - do you not install the games to the HDD?

I install the games and it's whisper quiet even on my old Elite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Is the offer in Gamestop €125 trade in on the elite over? My mate traded his in today and said he only got €85 for his elite.

Advertisement