Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New "Slim" Xbox 360

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Sh1te i usually start installing a game then see all the dust on the black glass shelf and start cleaning it while im waiting for it to install ill pick up the xbox put it on top of the dvd player wipe under it put it back, put the ps3 on top of it to clean under that. Ive even pulled it out and turned it upside down to plug in a cable for surround sound !!

Walking a tight rope i think.

A very tight rope. But at least it sounds like you're keeping it level enough. It's if you tilt it any direction or change the orientation I think is when it does the damage. Wasn't there a story a couple of years back about 360s ruing Halo 3 discs or something? Have a vague recollection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Since I have an original launch day xbox 360 core with bought separately 20gb hard drive which is now full, I think it may be worth upgrading to the slim.

20GB < 250GB
    Component < HDMI
    Noisy < Quiet
    Bulky < Slim

Wonder how much I would get for trade in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Be trading in my Elite and the wireless adapter for this. Thankfully, we can copy data onto a USB key now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Kharn wrote: »
    hang on niallon, you can use up to 16 GB USB sticks for XBox memory for the last few months which is a much better solution. My profile and game saves for a few regular multiplayer games I play with my mates is on the Forza 3 USB stick I got with the special edition of the game :D

All well and good but having spent the cash on a memory unit and not having a decent sized memory stick at hand this is just more cash for me to spend. I don't see how the memory unit slots could really be so integral that they couldn't just be slotted in, even just one. I realise I'm more than likely a minority but it's just more robbery from a shower who just love to do it!

sink wrote: »
    Since I have an original launch day xbox 360 core with bought separately 20gb hard drive which is now full, I think it may be worth upgrading to the slim.

20GB < 250GB
    Component < HDMI
    Noisy < Quiet
    Bulky < Slim

Wonder how much I would get for trade in?

There will more than likely be trade in deals. GameStop currently give about 120 for the Elite, so that would leave me having to pay 130 or so, plus trading in my wireless adapter and a few games. GameStop staff said yesterday that there would more than likely be a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

chrislad wrote: »
    There will more than likely be trade in deals. GameStop currently give about 120 for the Elite, so that would leave me having to pay 130 or so, plus trading in my wireless adapter and a few games. GameStop staff said yesterday that there would more than likely be a deal.

The Game deals were already mentioned earlier in the thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66445400&postcount=10

Expect the Gamestop deals to be comparable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

http://www.memoryc.com/usb/flashdrives.html?Capacity=16GB
    Less than €40 for a 16Gb usb stick - it's hardly gonna break the bank. It's not like they didn't give us fair warning that the USB compatibility was coming either.

However, I do completely agree with you in principle, it's extremely bad form of them to have come up with this proprietary bullsh1t memory device and then just dump it. I wonder will there be someone selling some manner of adaptor for it? As I understand it, it's a USB device with a proprietary connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Yep, they'll open it and transfer everything then pack it back up. I'm not sure how long the whole thing takes though, last time I did it I told them I'd be back in an hour and they had it waiting behind the counter.

Yeah when I upgraded from 20GB to 60GB HD a while back, Gamestop transfered the data for me, but with a brand new console, as stupid as this sounds, I wouldn't want anyone else opening it before me.

Thats partly distrust of shop staff in general, nothing personal and thats not specific to any shop, but also partly due to a tad bit of fanboyism in that I want to be the first person to open it!

Less than €40 for a 16Gb usb stick - it's hardly gonna break the bank. It's not like they didn't give us fair warning that the USB compatibility was coming either.

However, I do completely agree with you in principle, it's extremely bad form of them to have come up with this proprietary bullsh1t memory device and then just dump it. I wonder will there be someone selling some manner of adaptor for it? As I understand it, it's a USB device with a proprietary connection.

The adapter would probably be dearer than a USB stick though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Undead wrote: »
    tad bit of fanboyism
    I want to be the first person to open it!
    I want mine on launch day

A "tab" bit of a fanboy? :rolleyes: I'd say you were a joy as a kid! lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Can you trade in red ringed consoles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

rovert wrote: »
    Can you trade in red ringed consoles?

No, it's checked before they take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

The same €40 I appear to have wasted on a Memory Unit which is now obselete should I ever have to upgrade to this console (and yes I've now gone from wanting to waiting for a necessity to have the new console, I'm mad about those principles! :D)

It just angers me, how many peripherals for the NES or SNES or even N64 do you ever remember as becoming obselete? I got me a rumble pack and still use it to this day. As is to be expected, big bright shiny new ones were constantly being released but my old one still did the trick nice and handy on every controller released etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Hmm, i think i'll upgrade, i have a 20GB Pro that has been sent to germany once and i think it'l need to go again soon. I don't have the wireless adapter which i was gonna buy and i don't have the hd cable thingy so this pretty much suits me.

I haven't a clue about trading in though, what has to be given in? Xbox, power cable, AV cable, ethernet cable, and controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

I presume the original controllers will work with this and vice versa?

I'm thinking of getting one myself, have had my current one since the end of 2006 I think, and it's annoying deleting data everytime I get a new game. And I never bothered getting the wireless adaptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm still undecided as to whether or not I want to upgrade or not. I've got one of the new Jasper 'Pro' models but I really don't know if this is worth paying 125 for when I trade in.

I've already paid 240 or 260 in a bundle deal so if I add it up I'll have paid 385 in total plus whatever I spent on the wireless adapter.

It doesn't seem like a great investment other than, it looks nice, has Wi-fi and has a 250GB hard drive but to be honest I'm nowhere near filling up my current 60GB hard drive.

Really not sure yet.

EDIT: 160... Not 125.

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Hmm, i think i'll upgrade, i have a 20GB Pro that has been sent to germany once and i think it'l need to go again soon. I don't have the wireless adapter which i was gonna buy and i don't have the hd cable thingy so this pretty much suits me.

I haven't a clue about trading in though, what has to be given in? Xbox, power cable, AV cable, ethernet cable, and controller?

Pretty much that, bar the ethernet cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Darksaga87 wrote: »

Thats Nasty ! just like the old box.It seems that Microsoft didn’t care to much to get rid of this problem which isn’t new, it seems to me it has only gotten worse!
    But in saying that, you dont get to see the disk before it gets scratched in this vid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Are you for real - its hardly a problem with the console if some ejit decides to pick it up while the disc is spinning. The only solution is to go back to cartridges

Why does sony not have this problem then ?

• Advertisement

Oh for feck's sake, it's already been shown in this thread first off, and secondly almost any disc-based machine would do that if you picked it up that roughly and moved it from flat to upright while it was accessing the disc.

As I said before, that video doesn't show a fault in the design of the 360, but a fault in human intelligence.

Who in the hell would be moving their 360 like that while it's on and accessing a disc anyway?

Why does sony not have this problem then ?

Pick up your PS3 when it's accessing a disc and move it from flat to upright and see how long the disc lasts.

the guy hardly moved the box and it done that much damage to it ?
    its not as if he picked it up with two hands and shaked it all around :)

Not but he picked it up at an angle. Which would cause the disc inside to tilt closer to the laser, burning it.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Pick up your PS3 when it's accessing a disc and move it from flat to upright and see how long the disc lasts.

I’ve moved my PS3 around while it was running a few times actually. Didn’t do any grinding or anything.
    This one seemed to scratch the disc even on the slightest move ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

They'll hardly take an RROD xbox for a trade in will they? :P

I’ve moved my PS3 around while it was running a few times actually. Didn’t do any grinding or anything.
    This one seemed to scratch the disc even on the slightest move ?

How is that the slightest move???? He picked it up off the table quickly and moved it at an angle. A slight move would be moving it along the table slightly left to right, or picking it up an inch off the table.

There's another fault with the design actually. If you pick up your console and throw it down a flight of stairs the console breaks. Typical Microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I got mine in 2007 and it's had rrod once so I'm planning to upgrade as I'm fairly certain my warranty is up sometime this year. I know that GAME in the UK are doing some decent trade up offers so hopefully the likes of GAME and Gamestop will do the same here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

He did a lot more movement than my Xbox gets when playing games :D

If you don't want to damage your disks don't move your Xbox when its turned on. It seems sad that you have to tell people this.

ok , the old xbox 360 :) was famous for scratching discs im sure every one will agree (even with out moving it ). and so far it looks like MS have not improved on this but time will tell..

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »
    There's another fault with the design actually. If you pick up your console and throw it down a flight of stairs the console breaks. Typical Microsoft.

Superb humer on these threads :rolleyes:

Advertisement