Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New "Slim" Xbox 360

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Has there been any detailed reviews on this? Is it worth shelling out about another 80-100 if your trade in your elite for this? I Have an elite and really considering getting this new slim, mainly for bigger hard drive for game installs, music and DLC, quieter, HOPEFULLY more reliable since ive had 2 RROD's so far, and..... WIFI!!!

I was never going to shell out €100 quid on a cheap wireless adapter, so have had to, annoylingly, use my laptop for wifi this past year.

Any deals on this in gamestop, or HMV? I dont live near a GAME btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Theres lots of reviews and a few tear downs (The Console was dismantled with pictures) of this new Xbox. The fan noise is gone but the DVD Rom isnt much quieter when its reading a game disk , but while watching a DVD the new Xbox is super quiet. Its only when it reads games disks its a bit noisey. I am sure you will will install most of your games on the HDD anyway so the noise of the console wont be a problem. Also with the 45nm chip in the new Xbox it should run much cooler. That new 120MM fan also moves more air than the two small 60MM fans , but the new fan is silent so you wont hear it. Now we just have to wait to see how reliable it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Total noob question but will you be able to transport your gamer profile from the old model to the new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

rovert wrote: »
    Total noob question but will you be able to transport your gamer profile from the old model to the new one?
    yup you can do it over recover gamer tag on live or with a usb or data migration kit

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

hightower1 wrote: »
    A "tab" bit of a fanboy? :rolleyes: I'd say you were a joy as a kid! lol

Hahaha touche....I grew up as an only child with split up parents if you must know :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Found this page on the US gamestop site with their trade in deals! Hopefully they will do something along the lines of that over here but I doubt it.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/xb360250trade/default.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Forgot that the new Xbox actually went on sale last week in the US.

Still not sure if I'm going to pick one up. Very tempted, but can't justify it as I don't use wireless and have only half filled my 120GB as it is :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

http://kotaku.com/5568492/new-xbox-360-warns-you-of-possible-doom

Overheating problems haven't been sorted. Now it just turns itself off automatically before the **** hits the fan in the hopes it avoids the "Red eye of Death".

Overheating problems haven't been sorted. Now it just turns itself off automatically before the **** hits the fan in the hopes it avoids the "Red eye of Death".

That's not good, with the console only being out in the US since last Friday that's not a very good sign. There's another vid in the comments section of that article showing the new slim model overheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

That's not good at all ! im shocked:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Having read about the overheating I think I might give it a while.

EDIT: I did a google search of xbox 360 slim overheating and there's a ton of articles about it. Way to go Microsoft.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Having read about the overheating I think I might give it a while.

EDIT: I did a google search of xbox 360 slim overheating and there's a ton of articles about it. Way to go Microsoft.

The only thing I've noticed is most of the articles link back to either the same pic or video. So it might not be that widespread. Will have to see how it plays out over the next few weeks/months. Glad now that it's getting released later over here. We can let the US be our QA department.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭turnfan

Got an inside source on GameStops's deals

25% extra credit on any hardware traded in against the new X360 (thats hardware currently accepted for trade in, so no xbox v1, DC, GC or PS1s!!)

Specific Deals on the 3 main consoles:
    Trade your Elite 120GB Console, get the X360 250 GB Slim for Half Price (€124.99 / £99.99)
    Trade Your Wii Console, Get the X360 Slim for €149.99 / £129.99
    Trade your PS3 60, or 80GB and Get the X360 Slim for €99.99 / £79.99

Throw in a Wi Fi dongle and a few games, you might get the new one for cheap enough.

I hear GAME are very picky about the consoles they take back, is that true?

I really shouldn't get a new console, but whisper quiet is tempting...

turnfan wrote: »
    Got an inside source on GameStops's deals

Do you know if they're going to be doing a data transfer offer with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

imo ev eryconsole has a failure rate!!!

all vids etc are linking back to one 360 now how many do you think they sold last week????

also it doesnt die if your playing if it needs to cool down it warns you and shuts console down..

the hdmi cable might be loose in that video nothing suggests its the new consoles problem!

ill defo be getting one anyways just to annoy the ps3 fanboys lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Huh?

Why would that annoy PS3 fanboys? Then again, everything seems to annoy fanboys of both systems. I accidentally picked up my Xbox controller when playing Infamous earlier and half expected the universe to collapse in on itself. It didn't. I did piss my pants though, but that was probably unrelated.

an awful lot of links if you search about slim overheating done by ps3 sites etc and all linking back to one video!!!

i have both consoles but ps are either jealous of the 360 slim or just sad trying to ruin it for the rest of us!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Yep... its worthy of it...

1255628-double_facepalm_super.jpg

Yeah playstation are jealous of the xbox 360 slim :confused: because it looks just like the old playstation 3 and has the same features now (wifi, touch controls etc.) as it...

Like it or not, the xbox has a high failure rate and the ps3 doesnt, and it seems the slim is no different, but I hope im wrong as id like to get a slim but am sick of the xbox breaking on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FearComplex

what a joke, it really is shocking after 5 years they cant get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

One ugly looking console I will say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Thank God a slimmer one has come out!! I'm very self conscious about the weight of my electrical appliances........by now I'm sure you've realised I'm being sarcastic and think it is once again a usless idea to make money from those anorexic nerds

Microsoft, a bunch of sly dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

my xbox has been dodge latey, working sometimes sometimes not, all sorts of errors at random times considering getting the new one, but it still has the same friggin issues, its rather ridiculous, but the quiet thing and free wifi is probably the most welcomed features

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Do you not think everyone's jumping the gun a little about the new "slim" overheating?

It hasn't even been officially released yet. Come on, guys... stop buying into this internet mass hysteria.

Chances are with the new modications to the "slim", RRoD will virtually be a thing of the past. It was practically eliminated with the jasper model anyway.

I've suffered eight RRod's from four consoles (one permanently died) since release. So I think if anyone should be concerned, it's me, yet I'm not.

I'll definitely purchase the new "slim" but will wait until Kinect/Natal is bundled with it later this year and will probably save €100 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

what a joke, it really is shocking after 5 years they cant get it right.

its one single instance,being used over and over again with no background on it whatsoever. i mean whats to say that someone didnt sit there with the xbox on a radiator blowing at it with hair driers trying to kill it for the first "new xbox dead" story?

easy pickings really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Do you not think everyone's jumping the gun a little about the new "slim" overheating?

It hasn't even been officially released yet. Come on, guys... stop buying into this internet mass hysteria.

Chances are with the new modications to the "slim", RRoD will virtually be a thing of the past. It was practically eliminated with the jasper model anyway.

I've suffered eight RRod's from four consoles (one permanently died) since release. So I think if anyone should be concerned, it's me, yet I'm not.

I'll definitely purchase the new "slim" but will wait until Kinect/Natal is bundled with it later this year and will probably save €100 or so.

RRoD on the new Xbox is a thing of the past due to there being no red led's :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i can already see the ps3 crowd howling about polishing a turd with this incarnation of the 360 in its glossy black, but no matter, im not a gamer anyway so i'll stay well away from that argument. i like the 360 for its media center extender capabilities. i bought with it SF4 and sega ultimate collection so i could play streets of rage, but moreso for its compatibility with windows.

so i was thinking recently about getting an arcade version for the living room to use as an extender, until i heard about this incarnation, now it may seem small to some, but to me it would have been nice along with the wifi (great too that its wireless N, will work great with my N1 vision router) but basically, they could have added bluetooth capability so i could view photos off my n95 phone wirelessly, and if they had added the ability to actually store not just music but also photos and videos on the 360 hard drive. i saw in a review video too how easy it was to take out the hard drive so it would have been nice to be able to use this as a USB mass storage device to transfer photos and videos directly off the computer, slot back in the drive, and away we go.

but, i suppose in conclusion i'll probably end up trading in my sons DSi (he never plays with it) and stumping up some cash around christmas, as a present for myself. i would have traded in the wii too only my OH would have killed me, she likes the oul wii fit... :rolleyes:

Yep... its worthy of it...

1255628-double_facepalm_super.jpg

Yeah playstation are jealous of the xbox 360 slim :confused: because it looks just like the old playstation 3 and has the same features now (wifi, touch controls etc.) as it...

Like it or not, the xbox has a high failure rate and the ps3 doesnt, and it seems the slim is no different, but I hope im wrong as id like to get a slim but am sick of the xbox breaking on me!
    star trek???? come on now thats just nerdy LOL

xsiborg wrote: »
    i can already see the ps3 crowd howling about polishing a turd with this incarnation of the 360 in its glossy black, but no matter, im not a gamer anyway so i'll stay well away from that argument. i like the 360 for its media center extender capabilities. i bought with it SF4 and sega ultimate collection so i could play streets of rage, but moreso for its compatibility with windows.

Personally I find the PS3 better as a media centre, but I use both. It's just because of blu-rays that I use the PS3 more. I think the slim 360 makes the 360 that bit closer to the being as good a PS3 as a media centre with its built in wireless. Tempted by a slim, but will still be using my PS3 mainly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Personally I find the PS3 better as a media centre, but I use both. It's just because of blu-rays that I use the PS3 more. I think the slim 360 makes the 360 that bit closer to the being as good a PS3 as a media centre with its built in wireless. Tempted by a slim, but will still be using my PS3 mainly.

i dont have any blu-ray DVDs though, for me personally they're a bit over-rated, i didnt like the interface on the PS3 media center though (honestly it was just a case of being more familiar with the WinVista interface, and now the Win7 interface), and far too pricey just for what i wanted it for.

Advertisement