Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC turned off

• 16-06-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

While burning a disk, my pc turned off. It would not start again so I replaced the psu but still not turning on. Forgive me I'm not very well up on the tech side off things. The fan on the motherboard gives a little jerk but stops just as quick. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Well i can tell you right off it probably has nothing to do with your CD burning. Sounds like you might need a new mobo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Teutorix wrote: »
    Well i can tell you right off it probably has nothing to do with your CD burning. Sounds like you might need a new mobo.

Or Power supply, Hard drive or dvd RW,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

The Muppet wrote: »
    Or Power supply, Hard drive or dvd RW,
    he said he replaced the PSU

The computer can boot without a HDD and most definitly boot with out a DVD drive. WTF man? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭heartofarebel

Thanks for the info. I had an idea that it could be the motherboard that's gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Hi all,

was using PC last week and it worked as normal, powered it off and next evening went to power up.

nothing....

not a beep, not a light, nothing.

changed plugs etc other usual crap, nothing at all!!!

Where do I start? am in dire straights and need to try to fix it asap :(

all help appreciated.

Am pretty adept and willing to have a go with removing replacing parts etc, so looking for suggestions, but also if worst case scenario occurs, im out in balbriggan area, so if needing repairs, does anyone know companies out that way to see??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

meant to add,

its an 8 year old DELL Dimension 8100 desktop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Usually Dell PCs have a set of diagnostic lights either on the front or back of the machine. You will be able to find out the sequence by using the dell support site. By the sounds of it it is most likely the motherboard, and the age of the machine is about right for the issue with the dodgy caps , however I have never heard of one lasting 8 years. The easiest way to see if it is the problem with the faulty capacitors is to open it up the ,caps were indicated by a stamped x on the top and they should be bulging and possibly leaking.blowncap.jpg

Advertisement