Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticky bathroom tap

• 16-06-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that the cold bathroom tap in the sink has "less of a flow" coming out of it. e.g. when I turn hot tap twice good flow of water not so cold tap

WhenI turn the cold tap I only get bout 3 turns there is very little flow and I can't turn it onwards any more. Cold tap in bath and shower working fine.

Put some oil to try and loosen it, but problem may be a bit more technical:confused:

Any advise appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

What I'd do here is open it up for a look. First turn off the water supply to that tap. There should be a valve somewhere that does it, probably in your hot-press. It will probably be either a round, red tap or a brass t-shaped tap. Turn it clockwise until its tight. You'll know the supply is shut off because water won't come out of your tap at all when its fully open. A small amount may come out for a couple of seconds, but thats just whatever's in the pipes draining out.

When that's done, just go exploring around the tap. Depending on the tap itself, you might have to pop a cap off or remove a grub-screw to get at the workings of the tap. I'd then take the body out and clean/inspect it for anything obviously wrong. Dirt/grime can build up and limit water flow. Check all the rubber parts for wear etc. Pay close attention to how everything goes together, you don't want to be left with a handful of bits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

I know your posting about the tap bein sticky but the lack of flow is probly low pressure no??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

The tap head is Kaput. Depending on Taps you have (Pic needed) you can replace a tap head very easily even without turning off water. You can get replacement tap heads.

Flip cover off with flathead, take head off with philips screw driver. Get a viscrips pliers and turn nut at base. Keep twisting off and have replacement ready. You will see water but it should be ok to replace once your quick....

Tighten with viscrips pliers and you should be sorted...

Joey the Lips where are you!!!

Advertisement