Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Club in Castlebar?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys, i recently moved up to Castlebar and want to join a camera club. I think it would be a great way to get to meet people and learn more about photography which i absolutley love! Any local club??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Eh, not that I'm aware of. There's plenty of sights and I can't imagine why there wouldn't have been one set up of some kind, but it's something that can be easily organised I am sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

There was a camera club in Castlebar since way back in the 80's at least. My Dad was a member.

They were actively updating on the castlebar website but a quick search shows they haven't updated their sections on the site for about 2 years or so. Still though it might be worth having an ask on the forum section of www.castlebar.ie

Chances are the club is still active to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I'd be in to joining one too.
    Am planning to get a 'proper' camera soon, but have no idea how to use one. I'd suggest you wander down to the point at L Lannagh - there's often people shooting pics there at sunset on beautiful summer's eves, like today will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Anzac_11

Hi guys, i recently moved up to Castlebar and want to join a camera club. I think it would be a great way to get to meet people and learn more about photography which i absolutley love! Any local club??

Hi Claire. I was just searching the same and came accross Swinford Camera Club. I sent them an email today and hope to hear back soon. If I don't find a club in Castlebar, then Swinford is not that far away. I know they went to Donegal on the 5th of June and their last meeting was on the 16th June, so they must be very active.

Will udpate you once I hear more. I sometimes take a day and go shooting by myself. PM me and we can maybe do it together, although it might mean 'the blind leading the blind' (on my part :D ) I do take stock photos and have learnt quite a bit, but still need to figure out all those buttons on my FinePix S9600. No idea yet about apps and shutterspeed and that. :eek:

Take care and happy shooting.

Celia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

Try Jack Loftus in Castlebar Credit Union, I know he had somthing to do with it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

keezer wrote: »
    Try Jack Loftus in Castlebar Credit Union, I know he had somthing to do with it before.

That's exactly who came into my head too. You'll probably find some info on www.castlebar.ie as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

No

Very helpful and constructive. Your mother must be so proud:rolleyes:

Very helpful and constructive. Your mother must be so proud:rolleyes:

Person of little words.... at least it was to the point. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jer1ch0

They have a website - http://mayophotographicclub.ie/
    You will find loads of amateur photographers in Castlebar that are not members of any club.

• Advertisement

jer1ch0 wrote: »
    They have a website - http://mayophotographicclub.ie/
    You will find loads of amateur photographers in Castlebar that are not members of any club.

Thanks for the link... just checked out their website, but there seems to be no updates since March 2009. I'd love to join them as well so I'll send Micheal an email and see what happens.

I did find one club in Swinford and their next meeting is on the 7th July at the Swinford National School. Will go check them out... they seem to be very helpful and a friendly lot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭claireycork

Thanks for all your info guys, i havent bein on here in a while! I still have not found a local club, i might look further in to it now that i have more spare time! Anybody of any luck?
    Thanks Anzac for the info- i will take you up on the photoshoot time, drop me a pm next day your heading out!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jer1ch0

You got a Flickr page Claire?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

If anyone finds any details on the Castlebar club can you post them here, I'd be interested in joining.

I am far from being a professional but love snapping landscape photos and I think we live in a great county for it.

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    If anyone finds any details on the Castlebar club can you post them here, I'd be interested in joining.

I am far from being a professional but love snapping landscape photos and I think we live in a great county for it.

Hallo Mayo Miss, if we can't find one, why don't we get one together ourselves. Have just sent Clair a message and if you would like, we can start our own camera club. We can easily start with the three of us and maybe get more members as time goes by. No pressure, if you're interested, just pm me.

On that note, anyone interested can join. Pm me and we can make plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Swinging society in Salthill?
    Gay Group in Galway?
    Farting Forum in Falcarragh?
    Coffee Klatch in Kildare?

Sorry, I know its OT , couldnt resist...

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I would also be interested in joining up with a club if we could get one going.

FoxT wrote: »
    Swinging society in Salthill?
    Gay Group in Galway?
    Farting Forum in Falcarragh?
    Coffee Klatch in Kildare?

Sorry, I know its OT , couldnt resist...

Hey Fox, those are quite a collection of clubs. Don't know if I'd like to join any one of them except for the Camera Club and the one in Kildare. :) Good one !!

bandit197 wrote: »
    I would also be interested in joining up with a club if we could get one going.

Hi Bandit,

I sent you a pm with some details. Just an update to others who are interested. At the moment we are 6 members if everyone get's back to me. I think it would be a great club, no major rules except to have fun taking photos.

Also have a friend who has offered to be our model free of charge for a day, so we can even practice with that. We could take some outings, even nearby, there is so much beauty around us I doubt we will have to go far to find it. If the members and others who are interested can share more ideas, go for it. There's no leader here, just a group.

Look forward to hearing from you. Let's get together and make a fun photo shoot for all of us.

Who knows, we might even get good at it. (I speak for myself, that is.) :rolleyes:

Take care and Happy Halloween.

Celia

PS: Just thought of a name. My friend told me I have the photographers bug. So what do you all think about
    'Shutterbug'? All comments welcome.

Shutterbug sounds like a great name, PM sent Anzac.

• Advertisement

Miss Mayo and Shoes34, have sent PM. Look forward to a Shutterbug photo shoot.

Shutterbug Club Members as of 01.11.10
    :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭claireycork

This has happened fast and a fantastic idea!! I even know one or two work colleagues that may join... So when is the first meeting? I must collect my camera down in Cork next weekend but im there after that!

Anybody want to set a date/place for our first get together?

Anybody want to set a date/place for our first get together?

Hi Mayo Miss... how about this Saturday? We could meet up at my place in Balla if that suits you. Or you can make another suggestion. Who else will be coming? I hope we have good weather otherwise we can make an indoor theme. Look forward to hearing from you.

Sorry about the delay. Have been major busy with the radio show and doing the 'Train the Trainer' course.

Take care and talk soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Would be interested in joining, but still don't have proper camera - maybe after xmas. :)

Connacht wrote: »
    Would be interested in joining, but still don't have proper camera - maybe after xmas. :)

Do you have any camera? A flash car doesn't make you a good driver so don't worry if you don't have a big camera.

I have seen great pics taken with disposable cameras!

Anzac_11 wrote: »
    Hi Mayo Miss... how about this Saturday? We could meet up at my place in Balla if that suits you. Or you can make another suggestion. Who else will be coming? I hope we have good weather otherwise we can make an indoor theme. Look forward to hearing from you.

Sorry about the delay. Have been major busy with the radio show and doing the 'Train the Trainer' course.

Take care and talk soon.
    Yeah, Saturday is good with me.

Any more takers?

Connacht wrote: »

Hi Connacht. Mayo Miss is right in the camera thingy. :) It's more to have fun and practice our skills ( as little or much as we have). No pressure, but you'll be more than welcome with any camera. Hope to see you there.

Yeah, Saturday is good with me.

Any more takers?

Great. Am looking forward to it now. Have been very lazy lately and it will do me the world of good to get some inspiration from you all. Anyone interested, please contact me by email celiaanderson@eircom.net for directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Hi folks. I cant make it on Saturday but I will certainly meet up with ye at the next meeting.

Advertisement