Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between poured fondant and glace icing

Options
  • 16-06-2010 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between these? I made poured fondant and it dried spotty looking. Having looked up other options - glace icing seems to be a much easier way to get the same result- i want it for dipping cupcakes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

How did you make the poured fondant icing? Glace icing is fine, I always use lemon glace to top lemon buns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

Hi Spadina

I made the poured fondant twice using different recipes.
    First one involved boiling the sugar, water and syrup to 114, cooling to another temperature (can't remember) and 'whipping' in food processor.

Second was a Peggy Porschen recipe involving mixing ready-made sugarpaste, sugar syrup, lemon juice and glucose and heating - it looked perfect until it dried.

Having done some research on net am wondering if glace is a lot easier and the same result? do you have a recipe for the glace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Poured Fondant has to be heated to about 35-37c when dipping, otherwise it'll set dull. If you dip your cupcakes between these temperatures, it'll set glossy and shiny.

Glace icing is also known as flat icing, water icing, or simple icing. Just mix icing sugar and a liquid (water, lemon juice, coffee, spirits, etc) until you get the consistency you want, something like 3-4 Tbsp liquid : 1lb icing sugar. Start with less liquid, as it'll become more liquid as you mix, adding more icing sugar if necessary.

Advertisement