Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Warning Post Number ###

Options
  • 16-06-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Thought I would give ye a bit of feedback about this thing. If a thread has problems you often see an insert on the thread title from a mod saying i.e. "Mod Warning Post #236". This is a problem for threads that are large as there is no way a person is going to go trawling through pages to see a warning. Most people read the first 2 pages maybe and then look at the last page.

Perhaps you could always put it on the first post or maybe let it appear at the top of the page like an announcement.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the warning going to be anyway? "Careful now"? I never understood these messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's a good idea to have the warning but the mod should stick a link to the warning post in the op. Some mods do that already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Usually the mod warning is to be sure to not break the rules of the forum and that they have their eye on the thread. I had to do it for the first time ever in the last 10 days a thread got contentious and was busy so I stuck mod warning in the title of the thread alerting those opening it that a close eye was being kept and any muppetry could result in a ban and there would be no further warnings. I did put it also in the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

What's the warning going to be anyway? "Careful now"? I never understood these messages.
    As I understand it, it's basically like saying:

"Okay, X has happened in this thread already, and we've let it slide before but now we're clamping down on it, so here's where you'll find us saying 'don't do X', and if you do X now you will be given Y punishment because you can't use the excuse of having not seen the warning against doing X"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Why not make it fun. Just post:

"Mod warning somewhere in this thread"

like a treasure hunt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Maybe a link to said warning in the first post?.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Or people could just click to the post?

It's not like it's that much of an inconvenience, it's easy enough to have a guess at what page around it will be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Click the number of a post (top right corner)

For post #1 the url should contain "postcount=1". Just change the number to the post of the mod warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Devia wrote: »
    Click the number of a post (top right corner)

For post #1 the url should contain "postcount=1". Just change the number to the post of the mod warning.

Realistically nobody is going to bother to do this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Thought I would give ye a bit of feedback about this thing. If a thread has problems you often see an insert on the thread title from a mod saying i.e. "Mod Warning Post #236". This is a problem for threads that are large as there is no way a person is going to go trawling through pages to see a warning. Most people read the first 2 pages maybe and then look at the last page.

Perhaps you could always put it on the first post or maybe let it appear at the top of the page like an announcement.

It happens quite a bit in After Hours, but it is there to alert you that something was posted that was unacceptable.

It's a warning, and to be fair you should find the post and read it before posting so you know the score.

It's not hard to find depending on how many posts per page you are on.

Sometimes we will also edit the first post to include that warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Realistically nobody is going to bother to do this though.

If you're that bothered about reading the warning its a fairly simple and quick thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

This was covered a while ago in FB if I recall correctly. General concensus being that all was good when the mod copied the warning into the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ive seen some mods put links to in-thread posts in the OP. ie.

Mod Warning/Important posts #85 and #578

And in the OP you will have a mod warning along with a link to those posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

This happens often enough over in the rugby forum and of late the warning has been put into the first post which is the handiest once you read the whole thread and just dont skip to the end

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Frisbee wrote: »

It's not like it's that much of an inconvenience, it's easy enough to have a guess at what page around it will be on.

Spoilers though - you might accidentally see a post you didn't want to read yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Add a note to the first post. Or even a link to the mod warning. "please see mod not in first post". That's simple to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Add a note to the first post. Or even a link to the mod warning. "please see mod not in first post". That's simple to do.
    But how could you see it if it wasn't there?:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Another lost e.
    I hope a child doesn't think it's a sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Frisbee wrote: »

So because one person (the mod) is too lazy to update the OP with warnings or putting links to them (which also isn't much of an inconvenience), hundreds (or thousands) of people are expected to waste their time hunting it down?

Seems a no-brainer to me for mods to make it as easy as possible for people to find in-thread warnings and make them obvious.
    I cant understand how anyone would argue against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yep,it's much better when it's either quoted or linked in the OP. Being a mobile user most of the time,a warning in post #346 is useless to me,as the posts aren't numbered on m.boards,so i'd have to literally count out every post to find it. Which isn't going to happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It's a good idea, users have been banned in the past for ignoring mod instruction that they didn't see becaue the warnings were added as edits to posts without informing the user.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have implemented a new system on the soccer forum over the last few weeks and its going well,what I do is put a sticky note on my screen.If the user does not see it well tough sh1t its a big bad world and we move fast and with the times.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dub13 wrote: »
    I have implemented a new system on the soccer forum over the last few weeks and its going well,what I do is put a sticky note on my screen.If the user does not see it well tough sh1t its a big bad world and we move fast and with the times.

I use a similar system, my post it notes really put you in your place I tells ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

You guys are so old-fashioned. I use virtual post-its in my head. That way, I have them no matter what machine I'm working from.

Seriously though...the content should be added to the OP. I'm also not a fan of adding new warnings and changing the message...because that's going to catch people out who did see the warning, read it, and then not notice that the title has slightly changed.

There is, of course, always the possibility to lock a thread, and then start a new thread starting with a new warning. Add a link back to the old thread in the OP, and add a link to the end of the locked thread to the new thread.

Advertisement