Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The property is in need of substantial refurbishment throughout

that answers your question (ie, it's a shithole - it's probably been rented out by some slumlord)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

i would , nt say the area is very bad ,its not a posh area.Lots of offices small business s are on that street .my friend works on that street in a office and she s never been harassed in any way.And theres some large buildings ,rented out ,ie with 9 flats in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Op, it seems relatively priced for city center. An ex used to live in that area and on the few times I stayed over there was never any issues with cars or crime.
    Iwould say alot if work needed.

Find out if there are tenants and if do what leases are they on. You buy everything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I imagine the place would need to be gutted, totally rewired, and the residential units reworked to comply with new regulations. As a Pre-63 property it very probably is in an incredibly poor state of repair. The way its subdivided is solely to maximise income potential- there would be little incentive on the part of previous landlords to invest in the property. The 2009 Act might make running this as a going concern, a very expensive proposition.

i think theres change in law as regard providing bathrooms for tenants, i,m not sure of the details, ie i do not think one bathroom on each floor would be enough. i suppose each floor could be rented as 1 large rental unit.with one bathroom per unit.check up on the new rules be4 you buy anyway.
    see here http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10135&view=previous
    the building regs now are much stricter,re insulation and space per tenant ,etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

If you're looking for advice on the area - it's fine. I lived very close by for just over a year and there's no massive problems around there. (Alot of elderly people live nearby also so it's not a mad area, and i think that's close to the park?) As for the house, looks like it needs to be gutted. But it has massive potential in that area for rental or for living there yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Mary Hairy

It will be extremely difficult to raise finance for this house. It is probably a protected structure. The agents have not said hown many residential units there are, implying some problem with the pre 63/ planning permission. Any work will reequire planning permission and the works supervised by a conservation architect. Insurance on such a property will be twice as expensive per square foot as a modern building. The building insurance could be 4k per year. there are considerable difficulties involved in working on a building in a terrace on a city street.
    This building calls for someone very experienced with plenty of money behind them.

CAN you do decorating ,painting yourself. Y OU can save some money if you can do some diy.I KNOW someone who has an identical, house he had no problem, modernising it ,putting in new bathrooms,kitchens , etc he had to very careful in regard to the front,door ,windows , ie he could not change the front appearance in any way.he put in 3 new floors , new staircase ,5 new bathrooms, new heating system. but then he has
    friends in the building trade ,knows, carpenters, plumbers, brickies etc.
    if ceilings , walls are damaged, you,d need to be careful, once water gets into old plaster ,it goes mouldy, needs to be removed by an expert.
    basically he replaced everything except the walls and roof,attic, and windows.OBVIOUSLY it would likely need total, rewiring, plus new heating, and updated plumbing.
    every rental unit he has has its own small, ensuite bathroom.

its quite possible, most of the wooden floors ,doors , beams, wooden ceiling supports may be ok, you,d need a full structural survey anyway.

Advertisement