Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music theory book with focus on guitar

• 16-06-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get started on learning proper theory. I did some years ago for violin and then piano, but never stuck with it. Now I'm seriously regretting that. I want to start pretty much from scratch with this, and try get reading sheet music for guitar down as well as I go. I can read music perfectly, just not very well with the guitar and tabs have made me lazy.

Is there a good book, or even online lessons that would be a comprehensive guide to theory. I'm looking to learn about keys, modes, chord formation and the like, how music works and how to apply it to making chords and keys, but on the guitar particularly, and thus far I've found nothing that isn't based on piano playing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I think the The William Leavitt guitar method series is considered the bible of guitar theory

http://www.berkleepress.com/catalog/product?product_id=11250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Thats perfect, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

I'm looking to get started on learning proper theory. I did some years ago for violin and then piano, but never stuck with it. Now I'm seriously regretting that. I want to start pretty much from scratch with this, and try get reading sheet music for guitar down as well as I go. I can read music perfectly, just not very well with the guitar and tabs have made me lazy.

Is there a good book, or even online lessons that would be a comprehensive guide to theory. I'm looking to learn about keys, modes, chord formation and the like, how music works and how to apply it to making chords and keys, but on the guitar particularly, and thus far I've found nothing that isn't based on piano playing.

Have a look at Guitar Tricks.com
    it's just $15/month and gives you over 45 instructors to choose from

I'd really be more into a book than an online thing. I'm sure its a great resource, but looking at a screen just isn't as handy.

Now, anywhere in Dublin I'd get that book. Don't think Opus ii have it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Now, anywhere in Dublin I'd get that book. Don't think Opus ii have it :(

Bought my copy in Opus, plus if its not in stock they'll order it in for you. Much cheaper online though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

William Leavitt? The last time I was at Waltons they had the full course (3 books in one!)

Good luck!

I'll have a look at the weekend in waltons so, cheers :)

Advertisement