Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help

Options
  • 17-06-2010 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

i have a caldwell benchrest and one of the adjustable legs got bent where could i get another or would i need to get one made?

tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i have a caldwell benchrest and one of the adjustable legs got bent where could i get another or would i need to get one made?

tommy

Is it just threaded bar? any Lathe turner would turn it out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

kind of thought that but to point it and put the top on it? and would it be too small a job for someone to do?

tommy

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    kind of thought that but to point it and put the top on it? and would it be too small a job for someone to do?

tommy

Many guys would do it for small money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If it's not too badly bent, it'll probably do to straighten it out and run a die down it.
    Have a hunt around for a local machine shop, at worst they'll be able to make a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just to say it's not a metric thread so find out the thread size first.

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    Just to say it's not a metric thread so find out the thread size first.

Bring the piece with you , it may be 3/8" thread etc.
    Well spotted Clive. ;)

Being of American manufacture the thread will be Imperial.

My 'The Rock' has 3/8" UNF (Unified Fine) threads, but it's an older one with black screws, not the the bright steel ones shown in the link.

My 'Rock BR' has the bright steel screws, and they're threaded 3/8" UNC (Unified Coarse).

The UNC has 16 TPI (Threads Per Inch), and the UNF one has 24, if you want to hold it up to a ruler.

Any machinist will easily identify the thread anyway.

Rovi wrote: »
    Being of American manufacture the thread will be Imperial.

My 'The Rock' has 3/8" UNF (Unified Fine) threads, but it's an older one with black screws, not the the bright steel ones shown in the link.

My 'Rock BR' has the bright steel screws, and they're threaded 3/8" UNC (Unified Coarse).

The UNC has 16 TPI (Threads Per Inch), and the UNF one has 24, if you want to hold it up to a ruler.

Any machinist will easily identify the thread anyway.

He might tap out the hole with a 10mm tap and stick that in either. We used to do that on old Lucas starter motors and it worked. You will have 1 disimilar bolt though, get it in same colour and it will be fine.

There should be no need though.
    Unless the screw is totally borked beyond redemption, it should be very possible to just straighten it and tidy it up with a die; otherwise UNF/UNC stuff is readily available off the shelf and it'd the only be a matter of turning a point onto the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i toke the screw out today to see how much it was bent and to my amazement it was straight as an arrow......tried it in the other two legs and had no problem but when i try to put any of the three screws into the front leg they get as far as the point just comin out of the bottom of rest. so i investagated the rest more and there was no visable fault so screwed it in from the bottom of the rest it was very hard to get it all the way throught but got there. then i repeated this a few times and tried it from the top and it now works fine crisis averted..... thanks for all your suggestions

tommy:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement