Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Affording College and Rent?

• 17-06-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi everyone, I'd like a bit of advice/tips please.

I'm going back to college in september to do a course I have always wanted to do, so I was thrilled when I got the place.
    I'm planning to take out a loan to cover expenses, including fees. I do have a part-time job (about 20 hours).

The only thing is, the work-load is pretty tough, so I don't know how I will be able to afford working for the rent etc and college work as well.
    When I was doing my undergrad I lived at home and didn't have to worry about grown-up stuff like this!

How do people do it? Any suggestions as to how I can handle the work-load and hold down a part-time job aswell? At least enough to cover rent etc?

Would it be a stupid idea to take a larger loan out (if possible, I realise that the banks are in the crapper) to cover rent, fees, books?

Any advice at all would be helpful. I really don't want to move back home as I needed to get out of there, it was too stressful a situation to be in.

Thanks
    ps mods I apologise if this is in the wrong section

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the way mosr students do it is working every hour of the day and night during the summer, i kinow thats easier said than done in this economy, but restrauants are always hiring, so if you did that in the evenings you could do another job during the day. it's not a whole lot of fun, but its worth it not to have to work 20hours a week during semesters.

Personally i found working 10 hours a week did not really effect my studying (only my social life!) and it covered a lot of my living expenses.

so my advice would be to work as hard and save as hard as you possibley can from now until september!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

How old are you, OP? You know if you're over 23 you're classified as a mature student and therefore eligible for a grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

not neccessarily, especially as i think the OP mentioned living at home. i'm 25 and was counting on getting a grant, but now that it's going to be assessed on my parents income, i won't get a thing.

OP i'd see if you could get a slightly bigger loan, at least it would take the pressure off. meanwhile see how you get on working. throughout my undergrad i worked two days a week and it didn't impact my study, but i guess it depends on the workload. but like another poster mentioned, if you need the money that much, your job can cut into your social life time rather than your study time!

good luck, im worried about funding myself too!

ps if you're realllly worried you could see if you could do the course part time over a longer period and work more? or defer and work for a year to save?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Im very interested in how other people managed living expenses and going to college. Would a week end job be ok along with savings? I will be doing a two year course starting september but i dont think i had it fully planned for the 2 years. I probably have enough saved for living expenses for the first year but after that, i dont know. Is it possible to get work. This recession has me scared, its the only thing i hear people saying, there's no jobs! Would i be mad to offer to work less than the minimum wage? Il do anything for some extra money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Im very interested in how other people managed living expenses and going to college. Would a week end job be ok along with savings? I will be doing a two year course starting september but i dont think i had it fully planned for the 2 years. I probably have enough saved for living expenses for the first year but after that, i dont know. Is it possible to get work. This recession has me scared, its the only thing i hear people saying, there's no jobs! Would i be mad to offer to work less than the minimum wage? Il do anything for some extra money.

There are still jobs. They're not as easy to come by but there are jobs, I've seen signs in coffee shops, chippers and pubs in Dublin looking for staff.

It won't be easy but if you have some savings then that's a good start. But don't fall into the trap of just living off your savings and deciding you'll look for a job when they're gone. Try and find work now so you've got the savings as a back up.

Good luck and enjoy college!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I had and still have no idea how students could afford the lifestyle and college with either just working the summer or not working at all. When I was in college I worked crazy hours during the summer and worked 3-4 days a week. Usually around 29-36 hours at least. It really impacted on my results I feel. I finished with a 2.1 whilst most finished with a 1.1 and spent most of the year on the piss. I was really bitter during college, I remember a few times having hot dogs and beans for dinner 3 nights in a row while my housemates were getting drunk, high and eating take out and only working 1 day a week. I suppose just tell yourself it builds character! You'll learn to be a survivor when after transport to and from work, rent, bills etc. you only have 10-20 euro a week for grocerys. When I only had 10-20 euro a week I was only working 21 hours a week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I put myself through my final year of college working the weekends and earning €150 per week.

Save for the summer it will cover your fee's and some rent. You should be able to live week to week on money earned on the weekends. Like a previous poster mentioned you will benefit from the experience in the long run and learn to be shrewd with money.

I feel proud of myself for doing it and it grants a serious sense of self satisfaction.

• Wompa1 wrote: »
    I had and still have no idea how students could afford the lifestyle and college with either just working the summer or not working at all. When I was in college I worked crazy hours during the summer and worked 3-4 days a week. Usually around 29-36 hours at least. It really impacted on my results I feel. I finished with a 2.1 whilst most finished with a 1.1 and spent most of the year on the piss. I was really bitter during college, I remember a few times having hot dogs and beans for dinner 3 nights in a row while my housemates were getting drunk, high and eating take out and only working 1 day a week. I suppose just tell yourself it builds character! You'll learn to be a survivor when after transport to and from work, rent, bills etc. you only have 10-20 euro a week for grocerys. When I only had 10-20 euro a week I was only working 21 hours a week...

I had a pretty big loan and only worked a few hours a week usually (and the summers). Like you say, working 20-30 hours would have impacted greatly on my results, I had a lot of hours as it was, and I needed a lot of time to work on the two languages I was studying. I saw no point in simply scraping through college instead of actually having time to learn. I have a big loan to pay back now but I got a good degree which enabled me to get a scholarship for my postgrad so I'm doing that for free. I think working that many hours during college is really an absolute last resort. A lot of people wouldn't be capable of working 30 hours a week on top of college for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

shellyboo wrote: »
    How old are you, OP? You know if you're over 23 you're classified as a mature student and therefore eligible for a grant?

Enquire about a grant very soon as there is a deadline for applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mood wrote: »
    Enquire about a grant very soon as there is a deadline for applying.

Do look into the grant they are currently being processed. I have just finished my first
    year of college and thank god my parents helped me financially, Looked everywhere and
    couldn't find work where my available hours suited. Managed no problem on 150 a week
    rent excluded still looking for work actively but was really in dire straits without my parents.
    Do you have relatives who might offer a hand

• Advertisement
Advertisement