Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midlands range

Options
  • 17-06-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

i could not find a thread on this but forgive me if it has been questioned already.

why was the 50 yard range in the midlands split into two?

tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i could not find a thread on this but forgive me if it has been questioned already.

why was the 50 yard range in the midlands split into two?

tommy

The range is changing a lot, becoming 1200 yard so so range positions may change AFAIK.

I do not shoot 50 so I may be corrected on that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I don't know of the exact motivation, but the section on the right is now a superb range for ISSF smallbore shooting. The firing point was levelled off so you're not constantly disoriented by the slope of the ground (That was weird before) and the targets are nice and level and uniform, with provision for electronic targets or target changers. There'll be a match there in about four weeks if you want to check it out. Hopefully lots of the Midlands lads will take up the sport and start sticking in some match performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

AFAIK, the plan is to allow small bore comp's to take place without interfering with the rest of the range, as in cease fire's.

open to correction, as always.

Fish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

AFAIK, the plan is to allow small bore comp's to take place without interfering with the rest of the range, as in cease fire's.

open to correction, as always.

Fish
    That makes sence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

the plan is to allow small bore comp's to take place without interfering with the rest of the range, as in cease fire's.

AFAIK and from what I've been told, that's exactly the reason.
    And also to provide a dedicated area for the smallbore benchrest and prone shooting "protected" away from the fullbore and sporter sections, to allow for more regular competitions and training, without disturbing or being disturbed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

All the above are correct and right.

The range was split for a number of reasons. The newer range is further away and slightly protected from the noise of the fullbore range. It has its own cease fires allowing for longer training sessions and when in competition where details can go on for over an hour it does not interupt the sporting side of the smallbore range (as a whole). Also target dedicated boards and a bench system for the holding of electronic targets was installed to accomodate as many disciplines as possible.

They will (hopefully) get around to improving the original side. It will not require all the modifications as with the newer range, but will improve it for the sporting rifle, different rimfire (calober) shooters, newbies and general plinking.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement