Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marking schemes

• 17-06-2010 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

This probably seems a bit premature but ...

Does anybody know at what stage the marking schemes are posted on examinations.ie? I know I should concentrate on the summer but I'm a real man for the postmortems.

Any knowledge appreciated.

BMc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aarglynn

I was the same as you last year.
    Sadly the marking schemes didn't come out until like early September which was really annoying, so I'd imagine it'll be similar this year. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

They need to get a general trend in the ability to answer questions! Eg if a paper is hard they will revise the marking scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

aarglynn wrote: »
    I was the same as you last year.
    Sadly the marking schemes didn't come out until like early September which was really annoying, so I'd imagine it'll be similar this year. :mad:

Oh really? :o I wouldn't feel very confident putting my school to the trouble of getting a paper rechecked without the marking scheme to back me up. Thanks for info :)
    Cipango wrote: »
    They need to get a general trend in the ability to answer questions! Eg if a paper is hard they will revise the marking scheme

That makes sense. Never occurred to me

Be very handy though if you could go home and check the marking scheme that night to get a rough idea of how you did. Then make out your points and pick the suitable course on cao before July 1st! Would be very handy and reassuring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 falala

Would be very handy and reassuring!

Or not :p:p

• Advertisement

I suppose in terms of where you stand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The marking schemes will be available for you when viewing your scripts in late August (or whenever it is). They may also be up a few days before the viewing day on examinations.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

^^ This.

Marking schemes can be revised during the marking process if a particular question is found to be throwing up unforeseen problems, etc.
    Interzone wrote: »
    Oh really? :o I wouldn't feel very confident putting my school to the trouble of getting a paper rechecked without the marking scheme to back me up. Thanks for info :)
    As dambarude said, I''m pretty sure they're out before scripts are returned to be viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

The marking schemes get revised as they go along. Always advisable to view your scripts with a teacher before applying for a recheck. The Marking scheme is given to you then but will probabably be online by then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

in two weeks time it should be online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

^^ This.

Marking schemes can be revised during the marking process if a particular question is found to be throwing up unforeseen problems, etc.

As dambarude said, I''m pretty sure they're out before scripts are returned to be viewed.

Yep, they are and sometimes answers could be added to the original marking scheme if they weren't included the first time round but were correct or perhaps if students were interpreting a question in a different way than was intended but their way was also correct.

They'll be available for the rechecks so the end of August or a few days before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

^^ This.

They do revise the marking scheme! Every year!
    The whole bell curve thing works both ways, not only does it dock people marks but if people are doing really badly generally on a question then marks will be awarded elsewhere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

in two weeks time it should be online.

No it won't they still have to assess the general trend of answers and then have marking conferences and then revise the marking schemes, if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

If i remember from the old junior cert., they were posted after the results were out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

FordieMUFC wrote: »
    They do revise the marking scheme! Every year!
    Welll ... more accurately, there is a new marking scheme each year, just as there is a new paper.

It will follow a similar template to the previous year's marking scheme, just as the paper will follow a similar template, but it's essentially a new marking scheme and is described as such ... it may then be revised during the marking process.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They will go up on the SEC site after the results are out, so second half of August, same as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Is there a particular exam that you are concerned about?

Advertisement