Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Art

• 17-06-2010 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

My friend was really sick when the practical was going on and couldn't make it in.
    The school said she couldn't repeat it the next week or whenever she was well.
    She thought it was only 25% and that she could still honour on the written paper.
    Well, it came about today that the written paper is only worth 37.5% and even if she does a brilliant job of it she can only get an E.

Now she's looking into repeating it.
    Is it possible to do it this year so that its included in her 2010 results or to repeat in alone, without any other subjects in 2011?

Thanks everybody.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

The school said she couldn't repeat it the next week or whenever she was well.

school were soo so wrong >>>>>>> http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_11_10_Arrangements_for_candidates_who_were_unable_to_sit_their_Oral_or_Practical_tests_due_to_illness.pdf

" the candidate MUST be afforded the opportunity to resit the re-scheduled Practical test.........."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

.....i'm going to tear the school a new ars*h*ole tomorrow on her behalf.
    Thanks very much for letting me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

unbelievable incompetence / laziness from the school. To answer your question, yes she can repeat art on its own in 2011 but cannot add it to this years points. You can combine more than one leaving cert for entry requirements only (except in the case of medicine). Subjects like economics and english for example with no practical element are simple to repeat as an external student. Practical based subjects require some degree of teacher supervision so take more organising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

Yeah, its incredible how lazy and incompetant they can be about something so important. Ugh.
    Thanks something at least, I'll forward on the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If that is what the school told her, they are badly in the wrong, judging by the circular quoted.

It may be too late to do anything about it now, but it's worth trying!

Get her / her parents to speak to the school.

If they get no joy, get them to contact the SEC in Athlone, and ask their advice. What is the worst they can say? ... "no"?

How is she any worse off?

And maybe they can sort something out which would allow her to take the practical over the next couple of weeks ... I honestly don't know, but the longer she leaves it, the smaller the chance that anything can be done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

If they get no joy, get them to contact the SEC in Athlone, and ask their advice. What is the worst they can say? ... "no"?

I'd actually go with this ahead of talking to the school, the SEC are actually highly understanding in cases such as this.

Advertisement