Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible area's of work for people

Options
  • 17-06-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have looked at some of the posts people have put here over the past while about there being no work, no responses to jobs etc. I am lucky I have a job, and my heart goes out to anyone who is looking for work at the moment.

I have thought though. There is a recession going on at the moment, but in certain area's there would be lots of work due to the downturn. Examples might be work in Aldi, or Lidl, for possible solicitors, I know for a fact there are many jobs in the area of employment law with firms. In Unions......many companies would be negotiating people's redundacies, unfair dismissals etc....would anyone be interested in becoming a Union Rep, lots of work there at the moment! (And well paid) Maybe possible work with homeless people or the St. Vincent de Paul maybe there are positions there with many people having lost there homes. The ISPCA....many people can't afford pets anymore, and they are now strays, and people may be needed in the ISPCA to rescue animals etc.

These are some examples I have thought of that there would be work in at the moment, if I can think of anymore area's I will update this thread. If anyone has any further idea's of other area's of work due to the recession, let people know!

I hope this helps in some way for people looking for work, and best of luck to you all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Don't forget- loan companies, debt collection companies and liquidation companies- sad but true.

Some industries are more recession-proof than others- for example pharma companies- people will always be sick. Cosmetic companies actually get more sales during recessions, women want to put their best face forward etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

theres not many jobs in homeless sector as it is being completely overhauled and lots of people are losing their jobs:(

There is always work in social care tho, like nurses aids, or home support workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

A few years ago kids used to go door-to-door with lawnmowers offering to cut the grass. When I was out in the country one of my neighbours (an adult) used to do it and in winter another chap used to chop up pallets and sell it as firewood in winter.

Probably all cash in hand, so they're hardly honest, but I'm sure odd jobs like this would provide plenty of people with an honest day's work.. if only the dole wasn't so high.

The other day I was cutting the lawn (it's a very small lawn but i don't have side access and have to take the mower through my house). My neighbour has a few kids so I asked him do they cut his grass and would they be interested in earning a few quid. He said he does his own grass.. his kids wouldn't even unload the dishwasher and they spend their day in front of the tv.

It's a sad situation when everyone expects money for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Probably all cash in hand, so they're hardly honest,

I don't think that makes them dishonest, if it does are you telling people to go out and be dishonest
    if only the dole wasn't so high.

I'm not on the dole but I'd hate to be trying to get by on it after loosing any sort of a well paid job..

It's a sad situation when everyone expects money for nothing.

Nothing personal but please don't tar everybody with the same bad brush... Plenty of people want to do an honest day's work and get what they are entitled to, it's just some don't have the oppertunity at the moment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I wasn't telling people to be dishonest. I said the people I know probably didn't pay tax, but they should have!

Yes, going from a well-paid job to the dole would be difficult if you still had a mortgage.

But some people have been getting by for years with jobseekers, rent allowance, medical card, etc. Everyone has to start somewhere, but going from all those benefits to minimum wage, paying rent, paying for transport, etc, is even more difficult!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement