Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Helicopter???

Options
  • 17-06-2010 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Driving into work this morning, and as I'm almost at Burt there is a message flashes up on a screen at the side of the road, "too fast, slow down! fasten your seatbelt. Garda helicopter in operation!" Should have seen me looking for the helicopter haha, couldn't see it. Did anyone else see this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Yea we passed that sign too. There are a few of them about.
    I've never noticed signs about the helicopter over rally weekend before. They must be trying scare tactics this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kiddums wrote: »
    I've never noticed signs about the helicopter over rally weekend before.
    The chopper has been around (or above ;)) during several rallies. In fact the video from it was used in a prosecution for dangerous driving a couple of years ago.

muffler wrote: »
    The chopper has been around (or above ;)) during several rallies. In fact the video from it was used in a prosecution for dangerous driving a couple of years ago.
    Oh I know, I've seen the chopper itself, just not the signs advertising its presence.
    Would that be the chase from a few years ago that ended out near Colm Dillons?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Would that be the chase from a few years ago that ended out near Colm Dillons?
    I think that's the one alright. Wasn't the guy on the dual carriageway for a while? I recall the speeding aspect of it but was there something about him being on the wrong side of the road or going the wrong way at the roundabout?

Yeah I dont recall seeing the chopper being advertised before now but perhaps it will act as a deterrent. Doubt it though.

muffler wrote: »
    I think that's the one alright. Wasn't the guy on the dual carriageway for a while? I recall the speeding aspect of it but was there something about him being on the wrong side of the road or going the wrong way at the roundabout?

Yeah I dont recall seeing the chopper being advertised before now but perhaps it will act as a deterrent. Doubt it though.
    I think he was on the wrong side of the dual carrageway at one point.

Hopefully it might. But knowing the crowd that usually follow the rally it'll just be something more fun for them to annoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Yea,it was after the guy who was driving up the dual carriageway the wrong way so it was.

I have heard the chopper wont be about this year for the rally though,too expensive.

Edit: Actually it might be in town,I chopper is just after flying very very low about my house,never got a look at it but I will if it comes back!

I think they'll use it. They don't really want any more bad press about the event after the past few years.

Yea keep us updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Its a very commen thing to us them big electronic signs for the major rallies in ireland Galway are very fond of them , they be on every approach road into the area the stages are on......

they have been in Donegal before too but not for the Dinegal International, they were used for Rally Ireland , i remember seeing one about 10 miles just at the river where the donegal letrim border is in both 2007 and 2009. as for them advertising the fact that there are garda helicopters in operation ive only seen that once (in killarney) but ive heard it on the radio a good few times including donegal.

P.S. i wouldnt be worried too much about the helicopter id be more worried about the different array of cars / vans they have for the weekend, they even have a 00 DL reg mondeo floating about along with a good few unmarked vans of various colours but mainly transits and nissians, but then again if you drive normally you'll have nothing to worry about, lol.

I heard it on the radio last year about them, just never seen the signs.

Oh yea the plain cars are thi big ones. I've seen everything from a saxo to a volvo estate to a land rover being used, as well as the usual fords.
    But as You say Homer, people who drive normally are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I heard it on the radio last year about them, just never seen the signs.

Oh yea the plain cars are thi big ones. I've seen everything from a saxo to a volvo estate to a land rover being used, as well as the usual fords.

But as You say Homer, people who drive normally are fine.

;)

Furthest I am going this weekend is Donegal Town and back twice. At the usual sedate pace....

• Advertisement
Advertisement