Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy Payment - Wrong Wage

Options
  • 17-06-2010 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

Hi

Perhaps someone could advise me on what rights I may have in this situation. I have accepted a redundancy offer from my employer, which is fairly generous in today's circumstances. Basically, it is so many weeks pay per years service, capped at a year's salary.

Before deciding whether to take it or not, I had a meeting with the HR Manager, who hand wrote down the redundancy payment that I would be entitled to. Now this is where I need the advice. She wrote down my entitlements based on the salary I was receiving before the company imposed a 10% pay cut across the board. I heard somewhere that, for a pay cut to be valid, the employee had to sign an agreement to the new terms and conditions of employment, which nobody has done.

Would I be entitled to insist on a redundancy payment based on my previous salary?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If you continue to work at a reduced salary it is still counted as you have accepted it. If memory serves redundancy salary would be based on your salary for the last X weeks (18 or 30 I think but you should be able to find it) and if your salary was 10% less for that duration...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If your salary is reduced and you do not object, it is taken that you accepted the reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Thanks for the responses. I've negotiated a reasonable settlement since I posted but your advice may assist my colleagues in a similar situation :o

Advertisement