Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lol, poor england

• 17-06-2010 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Their choise of keepers. You have Spain with Iker Casillas, Reina top 2/3 in the EPL on the bench with Victor Valdes who won the zamora trophy last 2 seasons. (trophy awarded for keeper who conceded least goals per game versus games played)

I wonder who England fans would want most from the spainish goalkeepers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Riena, he'd not have conceeded that goal yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

BRITS OUT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Casillas is better then Reina and Valdes IMO, but I suspect the English supporters would take Reina, they know his game better then Casillas and hes used to the EPL and IMO would be better at dealing with crosses and high balls then Casillas.

My choice = Casillas
    English Supporters choice = Reina ( I suspect )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Almunia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

And yet Spain lose to Switzerland and England draw with the USA, a superior team to the Swiss imo, poor England indeed...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Liam O wrote: »
    And yet Spain lose to Switzerland and England draw with the USA, a superior team to the Swiss imo, poor England indeed...
    You posted what I was thinking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

but england aren't playing spain

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I believe in Joe Hart.

The reason for Ikers screw up revealed

Sara-Carbonero-and-Iker-C-006.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

irish-stew wrote: »
    but england aren't playing spain

:confused:
    facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

without a number 1 keeper england are doomed......in a league squad you could get away with it ...........but in a world cup finals...does not inspire confidence in the back four or midfield for that matter.....the howler finished them before there 2nd game............R Green may your football future RIP

almanu wrote: »
    without a number 1 keeper england are doomed......in a league squad you could get away with it ...........but in a world cup finals...does not inspire confidence in the back four or midfield for that matter.....the howler finished them before there 2nd game............R Green may your football future RIP

What if he puts in a match winning performance against Algeria and keeps a clean sheet against Slovenia?
    Writing a team off after one group match is the height of idiocy.

What if he puts in a match winning performance against Algeria and keeps a clean sheet against Slovenia?
    Writing a team off after one group match is the height of idiocy.

i understand your point i really do, i just feel that his personal performance will now affect the ten men in front of him.if he,s picked.

2u4snkj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

CorkMan wrote: »
    Their choise of keepers. You have Spain with Iker Casillas, Reina top 2/3 in the EPL on the bench with Victor Valdes who won the zamora trophy last 2 seasons. (trophy awarded for keeper who conceded least goals per game versus games played)

I wonder who England fans would want most from the spainish goalkeepers?

Agreed. Their choice of keepers is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

stovelid wrote: »
    BRITS OUT
    What's that got to do with the OP's post. Very strange.

almanu wrote: »
    i understand your point i really do, i just feel that his personal performance will now affect the ten men in front of him.if he,s picked.

I know that not having a quality keeper will have serious effects through the whole team but I think that the whole England squad will be aware that whoever is in goal is a good keeper and will have faith in them.
    If they were playing a really tough team in the next match it would be a different story but Algeria should be a walk in the park for England,should they win then the World Cup doesn't look so bleak for them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

lol, poor thread

i think england should bring in the "last man backs in goal" strategy lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I think a team with SWP, Green, Milner and Heskey, will not win the WC anyway, I was surprised that Harte didn't start as Green seemed a bit dodgy against Mexico.

Originally posted by jc77 in the Humour section:

Rob Green has trained today and in 3 hours he had 4,000 shots fired at him and did not concede a single goal. Tomorrow, him and Heskey will train with the rest of the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

patmac wrote: »

Originally posted by jc77 in the Humour section:

Rob Green has trained today and in 3 hours he had 4,000 shots fired at him and did not concede a single goal. Tomorrow, him and Heskey will train with the rest of the squad.

It's quoted from sickipedia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

patmac wrote: »
    I was surprised that Harte didn't start as Green seemed a bit dodgy against Mexico.
    You obviously didn't see the game against Mexico then. He played for the first half and made two fantastic saves, bailing out Ledley King in the process. Mexico's goal was scored after a defensive howler by Leighton Baines I think.
    I can't see how people think Hart should play. Throwing a keeper in goals at the WC who has never played competitively for England is just begging for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It's quoted from sickipedia

It doesn't stop it from being funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Steve Gerrard comments after the match '' The whole team is behind the Rob Green'' In retrospect its a good place to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You obviously didn't see the game against Mexico then. He played for the first half and made two fantastic saves, bailing out Ledley King in the process. Mexico's goal was scored after a defensive howler by Leighton Baines I think.
    I can't see how people think Hart should play. Throwing a keeper in goals at the WC who has never played competitively for England is just begging for trouble.

Really :)

article-1276436747910-0A022B92000005DC-651922_636x300.jpg

DavidJames.jpg

Germans put their faith in a fairly rookie keeper and he looks quite assured in his first game, of course you could rightly point out that there are stiffer tests to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Almunia.

He is worse than any of the 3 England have at the World Cup.

IBTIRA

;)

he'll show himself sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Well Green only has 11 caps. So what's the difference? Hart's a better keeper, his decision making is miles better too. I'd argue he has a much better head on him than Green does regardless of experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Packie Bonner ftw!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

CorkMan wrote: »
    Reina top 2/3 in the EPL

Who is number 1 then in the EPL...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Whats this thread about???
    some people just start stupid threads for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

He could be #1, but he is top 2 or 3 definitely. Cech is there, he could be better.

I started the thread because of englands poor goalkeeper selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

well no offence but its a stupid thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

You don't have to post on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

He is worse than any of the 3 England have at the World Cup.

:o

Nothing gets past you anyway.

Almunia would probably slot in to the team without any difference being noticed.

why dont you place some constructive comments instead being so negative .grrr this is probably this only bad thing i hate about this site........

Advertisement