Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France vs Mexico - 7.30pm RTE2/BBC HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

firstly, i'm over it. a long time ago.

secondly, that was f*cking hilarious stuff tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Because I missed the start of the game I didn't see it at the time but just now on the bbc highlights I see that Evra was crying during the anthem. That surprised me, it's amazing to think that a player with that level of commitment to the team is there alongside wasters like Govou, who obviously don't care in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Pro. F wrote: »
    Because I missed the start of the game I didn't see it at the time but just now on the bbc highlights I see that Evra was crying during the anthem. That surprised me, it's amazing to think that a player with that level of commitment to the team is there alongside wasters like Govou, who obviously don't care in the slightest.

Evra was as sh*t as anyone on the pitch tonight tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

flahavaj wrote: »

ya..before the penalty-what was he at?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

There's something sinister going on in that French camp. Those players aren't giving 100%, and I'd be willing to bet they're doing it on purpose.

He was pretty headless alright. I didn't mean to imply that he played well. There definitely seemed to be no communication, understanding or trust among the defence and he was as guilty as any. I just don't remember him strolling around like some others did and seeing how he was overcome with a fit of passion during the anthem I get the impression that he did actually give a fùck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Archimedes wrote: »
    There's something sinister going on in that French camp. Those players aren't giving 100%, and I'd be willing to bet they're doing it on purpose.

Well, we already know about the seedier side of the likes of Ribery and Gouvou, so y' never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Theres no guarantee Ireland would have scored again in Paris anyway. All ifs and buts.

If they hadn't played so defensively against Bulgaria and others they wouldn't have needed the play off route.

Time to get over it tbh.

But we never will, 'cos we love a good moan and the Joe Duffy worshipping "hyuck hyuck durr" brigade love to bang on about it ad nauseum no matter how pathetic it makes us look.

It's just a bit of fun having a team you want to lose, I think it's the "let's get over it" brigade who in fact need to relax a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I thought George Hamilton was embarrassing tonight. The majority of people are over the Paris incident but he just can't help but sticking the knife in all the time. He just came across as a smug tool imo. It happened, we're not there. What's done is done.

Yes I was pissed off for a while but you get over these things.

I hope France get knocked the fcuk out now so I don't have to put up with this BS anymore. It's annoying and embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

That_Guy wrote: »
    I thought George Hamilton was embarrassing tonight. The majority of people are over the Paris incident but he just can't help but sticking the knife in all the time. He just came across as a smug tool imo. It happened, we're not there. What's done is done.

I hope France get knocked the fcuk out now so I don't have to put up with this BS anymore. It's annoying and embarrassing.

It doesn't piss me off anymore but I still can't help being delighted to see the French team disgrace themselves though. It's not a major personality defect to be delighted at their misfortune.

• Advertisement

It doesn't piss me off anymore but I still can't help being delighted to see the French team disgrace themselves though. It's not a major personality defect to be delighted at their misfortune.

They deserved to lose because of their lack of drive on the pitch. It wasn't justice or anything for ourselves. They were spineless and have been woeful to watch.

They just weren't there as a unit. They were a bunch of clueless and overpaid superstars who had no idea what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

That_Guy wrote: »

To be fair I think most people on here are over it too and it's a bit of fun. Having said that I'm still delighted France lost, especially when they clearly didn't bother their arses in both games.

And **** it, there's nothing wrong with holding a grudge. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

ya, I'd agree.I think Lloris and Toulalan tried but that was about it.

It's just a bit of fun having a team you want to lose, I think it's the "let's get over it" brigade who in fact need to relax a bit.

Definitely!

All this ''get over it'' talk and claims of embarrassment is way hyper sensitive. Like something you'd hear from desperate to be cool teenagers.

Life must be so damn boring for the ''get over it'' brigade. I pity yous in a way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It seems to me a divided camp with the players totally uninspired by the manager and the players themselves split into little factions. Was shocked in the week to hear Evra come out quite openly and say that Gourcuff doesn't seak to anyone but Toulalan. And Billy Gallas is well known as being a bit of an ars*hole.

Larry White has a big job on his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

14udmau.jpg

tbh!

adox wrote: »
    To be fair I think most people on here are over it too and it's a bit of fun. Having said that I'm still delighted France lost, especially when they clearly didn't bother their arses in both games.

And **** it, there's nothing wrong with holding a grudge. :D

I can have a laugh about most things but when you know people who go to such as extremes as cancelling their holidays to France, throwing away or in some cases burning their Arsenal jersey with Henry's name on the back of it and a Lifestyle sports manager practically laughing in my local sports shop when I asked if they were selling France jerseys, it all gets a bit surreal.

Apart from that incident, what have the French done to us? Nothing.

I'm not saying this is the majority of people but unfortunately people have this stupid mentality about the French now.

I'll admit that the pizza offer is a good one but why should we care really? We're not French. We shouldn't make it our priority to now look at France and ridicule them for getting beaten now.

We should be going back to the old days of cheering on everybody but England.... ;)

Last bit was a joke. I actually want England to do well.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Definitely!

All this ''get over it'' talk and claims of embarrassment is way hyper sensitive. Like something you'd hear from desperate to be cool teenagers.

Life must be so damn boring for the ''get over it'' brigade. I pity yous in a way...

Life is actually quite good. I personally would've said that life is too short for those who still want to feel bitter about Paris.

But, I'm not here to have an argument. I'm not like that. I've said my piece and I'll move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

well guys, what in all honest do ye expect from the french team with that guy as manager.?

words fail to describe how poor he is a manager. I would let him cook me some beans on toast and that's about as far as id trust him

even that he would probably not get it right,

but anyway, I'm delighted France were absolutely abysmal, the world cup, the greatest stage for a footballer and they couldn't give a f***.

and embarrassing themselves with blankets in the dugout, epic fail.

so France, congratulations for an EPIC fail and the master card emails will be out within the week id say.

10/10

nice one lads

• Advertisement

well guys, what in all honest do ye expect from the french team with that guy as manager.?

I am le sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

But we aren't laughing at the French nation are we? Just their national football team. Most of France were embarrassed about how they qualified for the world cup.

When I say "we" in my posts, I'm referring to posters on boards, not we the nation. Having said that, the examples you posted are people acting likes arse holes and are embarrassing. I'm in full agreement with you there.

Before the South Africa game, I actually think some of the (maybe not all) French players will get it through their thick heads that they are now playing for their future under Blanc, and will at least try to do something in that match.

Regardless, they won't do enough to go through and it serves them right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Before the South Africa game, I actually think some of the (maybe not all) French players will get it through their thick heads that they are now playing for their future under Blanc, and will at least try to do something in that match.

half of that french team will never wear a blue shirt again, if blanc had any balls at all

anelka and gallas, id stick them in a toilet and make them clean it for a year to give them a reality check

and embarrassing themselves with blankets in the dugout, epic fail.

Just on that, I can't get over how amateurish most of the footballing world is when it comes to this type of thing. Anything other than having your subs warm as toast on the bench just isn't taking things seriously.

They need a huge change. Something is seriously rotten.

They all looked off the pace. Fair enough some of them have had a long season but they had a few weeks off to regroup and if the pride of playing in one of football's biggest tournaments for your country doesn't motivate you then there's no hope at all.

Blanc has a serious job on his hands to get that bunch ticking again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

adox wrote: »
    But we aren't laughing at the French nation are we? Just their national football team. Most of France were embarrassed about how they qualified for the world cup.

When I say "we" in my posts, I'm referring to posters on boards, not we the nation. Having said that, the examples you posted are people acting likes arse holes and are embarrassing. I'm in full agreement with you there.

Not even the national team for me, just Thierry Henry.

This year the French have filled the position normally held by the Dutch going into major tournaments. In fighting and power struggles within the squad, no respect for the manager, nobody except Toulalan speaking to Gourcuff and players deliberately ignoring him on the pitch.

There's a shambolic lack of squad discipline and leadership and Domenech's position has been undermined and virtually untenable for almost two years.

Their performances in the World Cup to date haven't come as a complete surprise, what would surprise me is if they manage to pull it together and play to level they're capable of in the final group game.

Romania and Bosnia are their main opponents in the Euro qualifiers!

If they can't at least get 2nd there, it would be the ultimate downfall.

Romania and Bosnia are their main opponents in the Euro qualifiers!

If they can't at least get 2nd there, it would be the ultimate downfall.

Blanc needs to get them together ASAP and have a serious discussion. If you can't be bothered playing for your country then hang up the jersey and never return.

Our group of players usually go out and play with passion. We may not be very good but there's desire there a lot of the time even if we do royally fcuk up against teams we should be beating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Whats the story with the players shunning Gourcuff rumor? what happened?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seaneh wrote: »
    Whats the story with the players shunning Gourcuff rumor? what happened?

Apparently (i.e. it's widely acknowledged) Ribéry, Anelka and a few others can't stand Goody-two-shoes Gourcuff because he's too serious about the game and not interested in drinking and whoring and being a bit of a bollocks - an unpardonable crime.

It'll come down very quickly to a straight choice between Gourcuff and Ribéry and Franck will be told to sling his hook in no uncertain terms once Blanc is in charge. Don't expect Ribéry or Anelka (or Govou, but that should go without saying) to ever wear a French jersey again after next week. I wouldn't expect lengthy queues for the former's signature at the end of the summer either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No matter how bad a manager Domenech is or how much the French players dislike them, there's still no excuse for the lack of effort from the French players. It's not hyperbole to saw that they looked like they wanted to lose. There was no effort, no desire and no intention from those players to win. Malouda aside, they just didn't try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Got Mexico at almost 3/1.
    Absolutely insane Paddy Power odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Absolutely delighted with that result, and one in the eye to FIFA who shifted the goalposts to allow rubbish like that French team to qualify.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In retrospect, Henry's handball at least showed that he wanted to win that match :)

There's a rumour that Malouda refused to play alongside Gourcuff which led to him being dropped in the first match, but Domenech hadn't the balls to pick the team himself and let the hard lads force out Gourcuff and let Malouda back in. Objectively, it's hard to argue that on the basis of the season just gone Malouda deserves a starting place ahead of Gourcuff - but nobody in their right mind could use that same logic to justify Diaby's place (or Govou's or even Ribéry's) although in fairness to the Arsenal man, he did OK in the two matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i still think France have a good chance of going through.

I think they can and will beat South Africa, and I think neither Mexico nor Uruguay will want to face Argentina in the next round, so they will be playing to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

I think they can and will beat South Africa, and I think neither Mexico nor Uruguay will want to face Argentina in the next round, so they will be playing to win.

I think the fact that the odds of a Mexico/Uruguay draw are 4/5 speaks volumes.

They have a chance, but with 5 goals between them and Uruguay and 4 between them and Mexico, it's very unlikely imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

all you can say is what goes around.......

2evvlo9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

They have a chance, but with 5 goals between them and Uruguay and 4 between them and Mexico, it's very unlikely imo.

RTE said last night that if it comes down to France and Mexico for second then Mexico go through based on the head to head.

Only way for France to go through is for them to beat South Africa, Mexico to beat Uruguay, and for France to over come the goal difference in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Spud83 wrote: »
    RTE said last night that if it comes down to France and Mexico for second then Mexico go through based on the head to head.

Only way for France to go through is for them to beat South Africa, Mexico to beat Uruguay, and for France to over come the goal difference in the process.

thats a really big ask as there finding it hard to score one....there gone if you ask me......(chuckle)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/fifa_wc_south_africa_2010_regulations_en_14123.pdf

First it's Goal Difference.
    Then Goals Scored.
    Then Head to Head.
    Then Head to Head Goal Difference (if 3 or more teams are tied, presumably).
    Then Head to Head Goals Scored (as above).
    Then drawing of lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I, unashamedly, am delighted the French lost.

The French players and manager were a disgrace in regards the passion and drive they showed - they looked like they didn't care a jot.

Kudos to Mexico for the passion and commitment they showed in the match.

What annoys me most is that they have wasted their World cup chance - Ireland might not have been the best team in the World cup but we would have thrown everything at our oppenents and fought to the end.

Au revoir les bleus....

Don't forget that when it comes to France, FIFA can always introduce a new rule if it doesn't work out.

Forget your goal difference and head-to-head crap, it'll clearly come down to alphabetical order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the fact Evra stopped busting a gut for the penalty said everything you need to know.

one of the most passionate footballers i've seen in a long time, ending up not giving a f*ck.

those players are a disgrace, never mind the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/fifa_wc_south_africa_2010_regulations_en_14123.pdf

First it's Goal Difference.
    Then Goals Scored.
    Then Head to Head.
    Then Head to Head Goal Difference (if 3 or more teams are tied, presumably).
    Then Head to Head Goals Scored (as above).
    Then drawing of lots.

I should know better than to listen to rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Quick question about that Blanco lad. Was he the guy at a world cup a few years back that used to trap the ball between his two feet, jump with the ball trapped between his two feet to try and pass a defender??
    For some reason I thought they guy who used to do played in USA 94 and was called Blanco, but no Blanco played for Mexico in USA 94.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hey billymitchell, yeh, its the same guy. But it was at France '98 you're thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Couldn't be happier:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Vokes wrote: »
    Hey billymitchell, yeh, its the same guy. But it was at France '98 you're thinking of.

Cheers dude, that makes a little more sense than USA 94! Here it is if anybody is wondering wtf I am on about

"The Blanco Bounce"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Quick question about that Blanco lad. Was he the guy at a world cup a few years back that used to trap the ball between his two feet, jump with the ball trapped between his two feet to try and pass a defender??
    For some reason I thought they guy who used to do played in USA 94 and was called Blanco, but no Blanco played for Mexico in USA 94.

Is it Gheorghe Hagi you're thinking of? he used to do that too.

Advertisement