Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Men's Health Booklet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Have to say i actually went for a checkup 2 years ago on reading the first version of this, i actually went to the doctor and said im here for my NCT ha ha.

She was shocked, she said i must have been the first young person shes ever treated that just decieded to show up for a check up with nothing wrong. I was quite shocked to find out my age group is in the risk zone for testicular cancer when i went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Scarey that testicualr cancer hits so young but thankfully it is rare enough. It is a pity that there isn't an national screening program for prostate cancer. I am sure it would save many lives if it was caught early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IrishCancerSoc

You're right that the peak risk for testicular cancer is in the 20s and 30s but luckily the rate is low and it is very treatable when caught early.

Bowel cancer and prostate cancer however are very common and are most likely over the age of 50. Again, both are very treatable when caught in time.

Skin cancer is extremely common, and contrary to what some may think, it certainly can be fatal. Almost 200 people in Ireland die each year from skin cancer, that's more than cervical cancer or testicular cancer.

Basically, if you don't smoke, take it easy in the sun and wear sunscreen, and eat 5 a day of fruit and veg, you can substantially lower your risk of the common cancers.

Other cancers like pancreatic, liver and brain are not as treatable but luckily are rare.

Advertisement