Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mentioning that i hunt when applying?

• 17-06-2010 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

hi guys i'm going to apply for AGS again when its up on public jobs, i applied over a year ago just before the recruitment stopped and never heard anything since, so i said to be safe i better apply again, i hopefully will have a college degree when the time comes around, can swim, full license, play rugby, have a few friends and relatives who are garda members to help me out on what to do for the interview etc etc, what i was just wondering is, if i get an interview or even filling out the application should i mention that i'm big into shooting and hunting, i presume that being granted a gun license might stand for something but i'm a bit afraid to mention it incase there would be some anti-hunting person reading the application or being on the interview panel, it might instantly make them dislike me.

any advice appreciated
    cheers
    ormondprop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

as memory serves me its not asked on any form. if not asked i see no reason to mention it, then nobody can hold it against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

ormondprop wrote: »
    hi guys i'm going to apply for AGS again when its up on public jobs, i applied over a year ago just before the recruitment stopped and never heard anything since, so i said to be safe i better apply again, i hopefully will have a college degree when the time comes around, can swim, full license, play rugby, have a few friends and relatives who are garda members to help me out on what to do for the interview etc etc, what i was just wondering is, if i get an interview or even filling out the application should i mention that i'm big into shooting and hunting, i presume that being granted a gun license might stand for something but i'm a bit afraid to mention it incase there would be some anti-hunting person reading the application or being on the interview panel, it might instantly make them dislike me.

any advice appreciated
    cheers
    ormondprop

Firstly, if you applied a year ago, you didn't apply as there hasnt been a competition in over 2 years. Most likely what you did do was register your interest with public jobs. They alert you when a competition opens up so that you can then apply. This is why you have not heard anything in that time. There is a competition opening in the coming weeks according to recent adverts so if you want to go and get your degree first, don't apply- or do just for the experience it's up to yourself.

Filling out the application form, hunting won't come up on it. If you pass the aptitude test and you are filling out the form for the interview, you could use it as part of your scenarios if you wanted, there is no need to disclose it there if you do not want to.

Full background checks will be done on you. If An Garda Siochana have issued you with a firearm licence for hunting they will know about it. If you are asked about it and say you do not hunt, to me there is a glaringly obvious question- Why do you need a fire arm in that case?

If everything is legal and above board, you will not be punished for your choice of pasttime, It is like someone being afraid to say they prepared steak for dinner last night in case their interviewer is vegetarian.

The interview is actually quite structured, and professional. It is a competence based interview and they questions you are asked will be based on the form you filled out.

The meeting with the local Sergeant/ Super however, it probably will come up. Have your answer prepared and like I said if everything is legal, there shouldn't be a problem.

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

thanks for that, it was over a year since i applied on public jobs could be over two years, i got sent emails about interviews for the reserves but never bothered accepting as i was in college, i am finished college now and just awaiting on my results so i will be applying as soon as it comes up, i didnt know whether they asked questions about interests and hobbies but from your reply its obviously something i wont have to worry about,
    thanks for the advice
    ormondprop

Advertisement