Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Mahon memorial (Phoenix park) cancelled

• 17-06-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Next Tuesdays Andy Mahon memorial race in the Phoenix Park is cancelled, (as are all park races this year)

Damn shame:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Those effing park authorities seem hell bend of stopping all cycle racing there.
    Terrible pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Ah FFS. They'll close half the park so eejits go and look at a big tent full of flower-baskets and pink wellys, but a couple of hours of disruption for a bike race is beyond the pale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

RobFowl wrote: »
    Those effing park authorities seem hell bend of stopping all cycle racing there.
    Terrible pity.

Doesn't seem to stop tri folk putting on duathalons there.
    There was a large gang of TTers there last night.
    The irony is that the park is closed to vehicle traffic on sunday due to Pedal in the Park taking place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

niceonetom wrote: »
    Ah FFS. They'll close half the park so eejits go and look at a big tent full of flower-baskets and pink wellys, but a couple of hours of disruption for a bike race is beyond the pale.

They should instead just keep the park open for the eejits wearing pink lycra on road bikes , would of been nice to do that one ! bummer since i bottled it last race at the park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What's the reasons for the park races being cancelled ? It's hardy because of H&S reasons because of the state of Chesterfield Avenue, the Tri races don't use that do they ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What's the reasons for the park races being cancelled ? It's hardy because of H&S reasons because of the state of Chesterfield Avenue, the Tri races don't use that do they ?

Yeah what is the real reason for this? there has been racing in the pheonix park for donkeys years. All i hear is either the blame been directed at park officials wanting a well marshelled and well organised set up or park officials just having no interest in bike races been run there. If there was no problem for years (or maybe there was and its finally come to a head) why is it such a difficulty? Could it be anything to do with the organisers of most park races (IRC)? Do all organisers have the same problem?
    Have all possible solutions to whatever obstacles there are been looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

do the duathlons use a shorter course so not as much interference??? Sad alright esp after National Bike week with a crit in the city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

shaungil wrote: »
    do the duathlons use a shorter course so not as much interference??? Sad alright esp after National Bike week with a crit in the city centre

The last couple of crits have used exactly the same circuit as the duathlon course so that's not it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

shaungil wrote: »
    I happened upon a duathalo.n a few weeks back. On the areas where cars can travel (soccer pitch/hospital/chapo gate) only half the road was closed..
    I say two marshals but I had inadvertently joined the course by that stage.
    I am speculating here, but that does not seem like effective marshalling to me.

Exact same course just in reverse thats all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Michelin wrote: »
    All i hear is either the blame been directed at park officials wanting a well marshelled and well organised set up or park officials just having no interest in bike races been run there. If there was no problem for years (or maybe there was and its finally come to a head) why is it such a difficulty? Could it be anything to do with the organisers of most park races (IRC)? Do all organisers have the same problem?

Well for the last few years there have been forms asking for details on marshall numbers and where the nearest ambulance is and first aid etc but the forms aren't that bad administratively..
    the reason its so strict is that the councils are afraid that people will take legal action if there are accidents.
    One of the coaches i know was saying its a fallout from that bus crash down in kent so there has been a clamp down on H&S but as long as you fill out your forms for racing in the park i don't think there should be a problem..

mayber there just isn't enough marshalls in ratio to the race size as deemed necessary, when they get rejected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

C-Shore wrote: »
    mayber there just isn't enough marshalls in ratio to the race size as deemed necessary, when they get rejected?

Not sure when, but the parkies were not happy with the 15 marhals that were mentioned on the application. A requirement for two portaloos was also added at a later date. Seems their requirments were becoming more and more stringent and the race organiser had enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

That's a great bit of news from the park authorities in the middle of Ireland's National Bike Week :rolleyes:

Just change the name on it .. Call it a " Fred-athon " im sure it will pass !

Advertisement