Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mentioning that i hunt when applying for the gardai

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

hi i'm going to apply for the gardai and was just wondering what your opinions would be on mentioning that i go shooting and hunting, i'm guessing that having been granted firearms licenses wil stand to me but what if there is some anti hunting pretty cuddly animal loving pr**k looking at my application, just love to know what ye guys think or if any of ye are gardai members or have mentioned that ye shoot in any other job application or interview

cheers
    ormondprop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

ormondprop wrote: »
    ..............anti hunting pretty cuddly animal loving pr**k looking at my application............

cheers
    ormondprop
    Nice attitude :p

I suppose it depends on what you say you like to hunt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

hi i'm going to apply for the gardai and was just wondering what your opinions would be on mentioning that i go shooting and hunting, i'm guessing that having been granted firearms licenses wil stand to me but what if there is some anti hunting pretty cuddly animal loving pr**k looking at my application, just love to know what ye guys think or if any of ye are gardai members or have mentioned that ye shoot in any other job application or interview

cheers
    ormondprop

Sir - as a 1/4 furriner I'm not in position to offer you advice about your application, but I can ask if you have ever considered a career as a diplomat rather than an impartial officer of the law? You seem to have - how can I put it - a certain impression of your future colleagues that might work to your disadvantage.

Being the resident Gard-for-life on Fastnet might be on the cards for you.....

---
    Supporter of The ----

----

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If your into hunting then tick the hunting box, and supply evidence of a club or permissions. The Gardai only care about the suitability of the applicant to hold a firerm and that you have a sound reason to have one. I dont think there personal opinions* on politics, animal rights comes into it.

If it did sure we would have had a garda backed coup by now to get rid of the corrupt FF/Green government and Fine Gael would still be talking to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

C. Shooter, I think the OP is applying to be a Garda, not for a firearm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

cheers
    ormondprop

Its not going to have any effect! The cops are not intrested in your hobbies unless they're criminal hobbies;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Its not going to have any effect! The cops are not intrested in your hobbies unless they're criminal hobbies;)

I got an email recently wondering about joining the Garda Reserve?:confused:
    Sent to spam:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

C. Shooter, I think the OP is applying to be a Garda, not for a firearm.

WHOOPS:D:o

My Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

If its a job application to join an Garda Siochana, by all means put down any hobbies, interests, or sports, which you feel will help your application.

Although, IMO, I wouldn't have thought that being a shooter would be too beneficial to your case - too many people are touchy about shooting and hunting, so why muddy the waters for yourself.

Personally, I do not have a problem with identifying myself as a target shooter, but I probably wouldn't put it down on a job application form. And if I was a hunter I'd be even more wary - as you say, you never know who will be reviewing your application, so why make things potentially harder for yourself.

Then again, I've not applied to join the Gardai and I'd suggest you have a word in the ear of someone in the force who'll give you more informed pointers about this and your application is general.

And best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »
    If its a job application to join an Garda Siochana, by all means put down any hobbies, interests, or sports, which you feel will help your application.

Although, IMO, I wouldn't have thought that being a shooter would be too beneficial to your case - too many people are touchy about shooting and hunting, so why muddy the waters for yourself.

Personally, I do not have a problem with identifying myself as a target shooter, but I probably wouldn't put it down on a job application form. And if I was a hunter I'd be even more wary - as you say, you never know who will be reviewing your application, so why make things potentially harder for yourself.

Then again, I've not applied to join the Gardai and I'd suggest you have a word in the ear of someone in the force who'll give you more informed pointers about this and your application is general.

I always put down I shoot/Hunt.
    Thaqt way if I am looking at guns on the net on my break I don't look mental ;)

It stood to me as I said breaking clays was the best way to get rid of stress :D

I always put down I shoot/Hunt.
    Thaqt way if I am looking at guns on the net on my break I don't look mental ;)

Makes sense. Feck all people know i shoot which is the way i like it.

[/QUOTE]It stood to me as I said breaking clays was the best way to get rid of stress :D[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt do that tack, personally. They way things are nowadays.

"He takes his stress out by shooting things:eek:".

Anyways, to answer OP question, i might put it down if there was a section on "personnal interests/hobbies". Depending of what section of the force i wanted to hopefully work in in the future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Makes sense. Feck all people know i shoot which is the way i like it.
    It stood to me as I said breaking clays was the best way to get rid of stress :D[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt do that tack, personally. They way things are nowadays.

"He takes his stress out by shooting things:eek:".

Anyways, to answer OP question, i might put it down if there was a section on "personnal interests/hobbies". Depending of what section of the force i wanted to hopefully work in in the future[/QUOTE]

I also said I liked motorcycles and hiking.
    It shows you take an interest in th eoutdoors and will be fitter than a Xbox head, thus taking fewer sick days

Maybe leave out the stress bit though :)

For Garda interview they want to see you are a balanced character, not volatile. Team sports are good as they want Team players.

Mention if you are involved in the running of a target club/game club etc. Shows you can work off your own initiative.

Tack, i had a big reply wrote but it disappeared and not arsed to write it again, so
    Basically the shortened version, yea put down outdoorsy stuff;), not xbox;), dont say you shoot things when your stressed:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

The hobbies / interest section of the form gives you an opportunity to speak on these issues to the Board. Be sure though, that whatever interest / hobby you put down, be prepared to discuss the topic knowledgeably, as with the rest of the information on the form. People have put down interests that they knew nothing about, and later regretted it. Passing the "attitude", (no, not aptitude) test is also important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

dCorbus wrote: »

i am proud of my sport and i would be putting my hobbies inc hunting fishing shooting etc i also do triathlon and i have driven my motor cycle all over Europe. all of which i'm proud of and i would be happy to answer any questions on any of my hobbies and i dont see any reason to leave out anything.
    its nothing to be ashamed of.

i'm sick of people saying hush hush about your shooting you'll upset people. its not wrong as far as i'm concerned its a noble pursuit and we should be proud of what we do and not whispering in corners

thats just me tho so what ever you think is best for you.
    all the best with your application ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I was formatting a CV for a job application and was advised by recruitment manager not to put hunting down on the CV fot the same reason that the person who see it might not consider the application
    hunting and gun ownership is often seen as a negative

BTW ...I informed the recruitment manager that I was leaving it on my CV as I would not want to work for such illinformed individuals....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Applying for the Gardai..

Ahm...

They're going to know you have FAC's, I don't see any disadvantage in putting it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It's all very odd, don't you think, gentlemen?

After all, of ALL the people in the country, YOU have a certificate that PROVES that you are a trusted member of society, allowed to have potentially lethal firearms because you CAN be trusted to stay within the law.

Same here in yUK. On our initial application - THREE other people, two of whom must have known you well for at least two years and the club secretary under whose watchful eye you have been a provisional member for the previous six months, have to vouch for what a great fine upstanding member of the community you are, and how, if it was up to them they would unhesitatingly give you a firearm. Neither of your two external referees can be a member of the gun club, nor a relative of any kind. You are not allowed to see what they have written about you, either, so even if they wrote that you were a total gob****e they would still be able to smile at you whenever you met..... : )

Add to that that you must also sign away your right to medical privacy, should the need arise, and you can see that we are, in truth, a rather select bunch of people.

No member of the Dail goes through as much investigation as WE do.

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

i am proud of my sport and i would be putting my hobbies inc hunting fishing shooting etc i also do triathlon and i have driven my motor cycle all over Europe. all of which i'm proud of and i would be happy to answer any questions on any of my hobbies and i dont see any reason to leave out anything.
    its nothing to be ashamed of.

i'm sick of people saying hush hush about your shooting you'll upset people. its not wrong as far as i'm concerned its a noble pursuit and we should be proud of what we do and not whispering in corners

Hi poulo6.5, please don't take me up the wrong way from my post earlier.

I am very proud (if thats the word) of my chosen sport / pastime / obsession - Everyone who knows me well, knows I shoot - in fact, I've introduced one or two to the sport recently who otherwise would never had tried it. At every turn I do my best to dismantle some of the preconceptions people have about shooters. In fact, I have shooting listed in a number of spots as one of my interests. So, please don't misconstrue my advice to the O/P.

I am happy and delighted to tell anyone who knows me that I am an active shooter and then to proceed to bore the pants of them telling them how great it is.

However, for people who do not know me: It's a slightly different and more carefully-assessed story - For the obvious security reasons, I would be careful as to who I tell. And also, if someone doesn't know me, to be honest, I would not be discussing my pastimes with them anyway, so whether i shoot, play golf, gaa, rugby, hockey, or football wouldn't come up in conversation.

My advice to the O/P was in relation to his job application. By all means, put down whatever sports, interests, and pastimes one may want, but (when trying to "put your best foot forward") is putting down hunting or shooting going to help or hinder your application? In the end, if you want to get the job, why potentially muddy the waters for yourself? There are plenty of things I'm interested in which don't find their way onto a job application form - because I want to get the job, I want the discussions to be about me and my suitability for the job, and I don't want my job interview to be sidetracked into an unrelated area.

After all, the end result, in this case, is to secure a job.

By all means, support and progress the cause of shooting and hunting in Ireland - but my advice would be to "pick your battles" and choose those who might best accept your explanations (if needed). A job application IMvHO is not the place to be doing this, but that's just my advice and experience having sat on both sides of the interview table.

That's all I meant when advising the O/P and I trust that you will appreciate where I was coming from on this.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

the gardai.....well at least most of them, are exactly like the rest of society. some are into football, some into motorbikes and you know what??? some are actually into shooting:eek::eek: my local firearms officer is a hunting man and you couldnt meet sounder....
    what im getting at is if you want to put shooting down as a hobby theres no harm at all. its different to the private sector. as said in another post, their looking to see that you can work in a team enviroment when you say your into football etc etc.

Advertisement