Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought new mobile ph.....doesnt work properly.

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

bought a new sony ericsson elm phone yesterday from O2. Specifically bought it for its wi-fi feature. Grand got home, wouldnt log onto my wifi network until I was standing in front of the modem, kept saying out of range. Even when I was in the same room as the router.

Now this morning in work wont log on to the work network and the modem is about 2.5 metres away from me.

Not happy with this at all so when I checked a review on the internet it says the phone I bought has a really short Wifi range and thats a downfall.

What are my rights here?

I do not want this phone anymore as it doesnt do as it says. It wont connect to the network even when the signal is strong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You bought it for Wi-fi and it is more than reasonable to expect that you can connect while a few metres away from the modem.

Therefore, I would say that this phone is not fit for the purpose intended and that you are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair. Back to the shop with you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Aye I would be bringing it back. Be prepared to argue with them. They will prob offer a repair even tho it can't be repaired if the wifi range is short as a standerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Bringing it back today but on their receipt it says that none of their retails sotres will give a refund. So I think I have a battle on my hands. to top it off I went to register my sim card and it says it has been registered already and no credit is due.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Ugh use everythign against them that you can. I think they will try to fob you off with a repair or replacement job. Insist on a refund. Unless you're happy with a replacement of course!

Nah, I want a refund. It's a major issue with the handset I bought so I dont want it going back and forth to be fixed and repaired for months. Would rather get my money back and get another phone probably off ebay or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

T-rev wrote: »
    Bringing it back today but on their receipt it says that none of their retails sotres will give a refund. So I think I have a battle on my hands. to top it off I went to register my sim card and it says it has been registered already and no credit is due.

They have to offer you a refund, replacement or repair. The choice is up to them but it must be reasonable. (If they make a resonable offer and you don't accept, then you're not helping your own case). They could offer you a replacement with a different model. A repair won't work as this is a design issue in the phone and can't be fixed with a repair. Offering another model phone with the same functionality would be reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

This review of the phone mentions a short wi-fi range as a disadvantage. Some evidence to back up your claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You are entitled to a repair replacement or refund and as a repair and replacement are out because it is a design fault and any replacement or repair will have the same fault, you must get a refund!

According to this from o2 you should have no problem getting a refund! But I doubt the shop will see it that way!!

• Advertisement

To top it off when I went to register the phone for my free credit, it said I was already registered. Emailed customer service about the credit and they said they couldnt talk to me about it as I am not authorised on the a/c (even tho I am a first time customer). It's just been a bad experience from the beginning.

Low and behold the internet worked in the shop and a good bit away from the shop too so they wouldnt entertain it.

Low and behold the internet worked in the shop and a good bit away from the shop too so they wouldnt entertain it.
    the internet or WiFi worked in the shop? check your router at home the wifi might be turned off or antennae damaged?

its definitely the phone. i'll wait and see. my laptop works fine all over the house even on the balcony. will wait and see how it fares out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I thought there was a 1 month not happy with product deal with o2? Wouldn't let this drop at all, try it on some other networks and see how it fairs, bet the o2 shop has grand big boosters etc going on to make sure it all seems good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

bought a new sony ericsson elm phone yesterday from O2. Specifically bought it for its wi-fi feature. Grand got home, wouldnt log onto my wifi network until I was standing in front of the modem, kept saying out of range. Even when I was in the same room as the router.

Now this morning in work wont log on to the work network and the modem is about 2.5 metres away from me.

Not happy with this at all so when I checked a review on the internet it says the phone I bought has a really short Wifi range and thats a downfall.

What are my rights here?

I do not want this phone anymore as it doesnt do as it says. It wont connect to the network even when the signal is strong.
    If you only bought it yesterday they have to change make sure you bring the box and packaging back as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What did they say about it having already been registered?

was the person that tested it in the shop actually using the wifi or just using the mobile network?

Advertisement