Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting Loose Dogs to Dog Warden

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

There's a loose dog in my estate which chases cars and people, has gone for my dog and other people's dogs, and sometimes people, on more than one occasion.
    I reported the owner to the dog warden a few weeks ago after it went for my dog while I was out walking.

Today, I saw it going for a couple of lads out delivering leaflets, so I called the warden again.
    I was told that there had been a warden out to check on the dog and that the owner has a licence.
    It doesn't really make a difference if they have a licence to me though, the problem is that people are afraid to walk down the estate for fear of the dog.

The dog warden told me that the owner was adamant their dog was not causing problems.
    I was also told that the owner wants to know who reported them and that they were adamant that they were going to find out.

The last part concerns me. Does this owner have the right to find out that it was me who reported them?
    I have no doubt that I'm in the right here - I have footage of the dog's behaviour which shows why I had to call the warden.
    However I don't think it's fair or safe for the owner to have access to information about who reported them.

Does this owner have a right to find out who reported them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

what type dog is it ?

dog should be kept in garden or under close supervision but it sounds like none of that is happening , has the dog bitting anybody ?

we have 6 dogs and not 1 is like that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

I don't think the warden has the right to pass your information to your neighbour. I can't say that I'm 100% certain about it.

If I were you I'd call the Gardaí next. Last night I was just reading about a similar incident where a dog was loose and harassing a blind woman and her guide-dog.

She reported the dog/owner to both the warden and Gardaí. They did seem to be very proactive about the situation - the Gardaí called to the owner several times (as did the warden afaik).

Long story short the woman was issued with a summons to appear in court and the dog currently has a death sentence hanging over it - it needs to be rehomed outside of Co Wicklow or the judge is ordering it's destruction - which makes me sad as it is clearly the owners fault and the poor dog will pay.

My aunt and her dog were recently attacked by two loose dogs. They know the dogs and they are always let loose to run around an estate.

Unfortunately this time they attacked my aunts dog (while she walked it on a lead) causing serious damage to the little thing (these are huge setters who threw the dog around like it was a toy). They spoke to the Gardaí and were up front with the owner. The owner agreed to pay for the vet bills and said he dogs were never out of control, always restrained, etc, etc. He was given a warning by the Gardaí.

I would continue to report the animal - I would hate to see the dog or another animal or person get injured because of the owners stupidity. Give your evidence to the Gardaí and keep a record of dates and times (of incidents and when you report them).

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Fish Bloke

Thanks for your opinions everyone.

I would hope the owner has no right the "track me down" however pissed off they are. I reported their actions in what I assumed was confidence. I have nothing to hide and I was right to report them. For them to find out who I am is very threatening - what do they intend to do when they find out?

That's the thing, I don't blame the dog. He should not be allowed to roam, especially when he behaves the way he does. I would hate to see anything happen to a passer-by or dog and the for him to be punished for it.

It makes me very angry that the dog warden seemed like he took the owner's side about it. He said, "well she said it mustn't be her dog". Why would I report it if it wasn't!!! I plan to get some more videos as proof for the future.

I will continue to report them, and I think I will approach the gardaí about it for my own peace of mind too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 elaine 10

the warden cant give out any detail about you,keep ringing when the dog is out also report it to your local county council.the dog warden cant do anything unless he catches the dog out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

You're right Elaine, he can't give out the OP's name, I think the warden is saying this to make the OP go away and make him afraid to make any more complaints. Maybe it's time to go over the warden's head and report it to his boss.

• Advertisement

You're right Elaine, he can't give out the OP's name, I think the warden is saying this to make the OP go away and make him afraid to make any more complaints. Maybe it's time to go over the warden's head and report it to his boss.

Are you serious? You know I'm not even surprised.

Well if that was his plan, it's not going to work. I'm more determined than ever to get this sorted. I do not want this dog to pay the price if his behaviour gets worse - he should be kept under control. He'll end up damaging me or my dog, and himself if the dog he goes for fights back, and then he'll be destroyed all because his owner refused to control him. It's not on.

I was considering sending a registered letter to the dog warden, outlining the problem, the dates I've called, etc. and telling him that the same letter has been given to the gardaí for future reference.

Is that a bit much do you think?
    Or could I do that and send something similar to the county council as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

im 99% sure its illegal to have a dog unleashed in a public area anyway so surely thats deserving of a fine as well as making sure they keep the dog controlled. theres dogs all loose all over the country and its a disgrace. not only is there always a risk even the most easy-going of dogs could bite , but i think it shows a lack of respect for the dog. its so easy for them to get knocked down by a car. we lost our little dog a few years ago when he escaped from the garden and we're still devastated. people who constantly let their dogs run free out on the road just dont seem to care at all.
    hope your situation is sorted out soon OP. what a pain it must be!:(

Papillon! wrote: »
    im 99% sure its illegal to have a dog unleashed in a public area anyway so surely thats deserving of a fine as well as making sure they keep the dog controlled. theres dogs all loose all over the country and its a disgrace. not only is there always a risk even the most easy-going of dogs could bite , but i think it shows a lack of respect for the dog. its so easy for them to get knocked down by a car. we lost our little dog a few years ago when he escaped from the garden and we're still devastated. people who constantly let their dogs run free out on the road just dont seem to care at all.
    hope your situation is sorted out soon OP. what a pain it must be!:(

I couldn't agree more. Our dog has never once run loose in our estate, we would never let him for fear that something would happen to him or someone else. It's so disrespectful to allow dogs to run loose and cause problems. There's a newfoundland allowed to roam in my area, and just tonight I had to chase it off my lawn when it decided it was the perfect place to crap. I suppose the owner thinks it's great, not having to clean up a mess of the size a newfoundland can make. Either they're too stupid to realise that it means someone else has to take responsibility for it, or they do realise but really are that obnoxious.

Advertisement