Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to power your controllers?

• 17-06-2010 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

got 3 options, all very similar in cost:

1. rechargeable batteries & charger
    2. play & charge kit (battery pack charged via xbox)
    3. quick charge kit (battery pack & standalone charger)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Play and charge that way you can continue to play while it ....well charges !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Agreed, Quick Charge is stoooopid! Play & Charge all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Play and charge is great, got 2 packs so far, one with a ridiculously short lead (little over a metre long) but the second had a huge yoke I can sit down and play while charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Play & charge, really handy plus if you only have 1 p&c kit and 2 controllers you can use the charger to power the other controller so it acts as a wired controller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

i've went down the route of rechargeable batteries as I had the Xbox and the wii and it was cheaper than getting charge kits for both systems. Sold my wii now but I always have 4 spare batteries charged in case the set I'm using die so it's all good. none of the mess of wires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Rechargeable batteries are the best way.

Those play and charge kit keep breaking after about a year on me. The batteries won't hold their charge anymore and then the lead won't work with the new batteries and keeps falling out of the controller while it's in my hands, I don't even be moving the thing around.

I got one of the quick charge units that charges two batteries at the same time and they are great but the official MS battery backs are useless after about a year or so.

Rechargeable energizers ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Rechargable batts for sure! been using the same set of 6 for years and get loads of playing them and always have a set pre charged and ready to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I have a set of Orb p&c batteries, got them with the xbox bundle. I Find them fine after 8 months of heavy use. Havent actually used one while it's connected and charging as they came as a pack of 2 so always have one ready to go.

Thing I found with normal rechargeable batteries was I chage up 4 use 2 and by the time I get to use the other two they were half flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Does anyone know of any issues with leaving two controllers connected to a dual charger ,when it's not powered ?
    Does it drain the batteries ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Play and Charge doesn't work for me, have to charge them on a PC for some reason...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I have all three options available to me and I use the quick charge kit all the time.
    I have three controllers (three rechargeable packs) split between mine and my brothers xbox. Usually we have one pack in the charger all the time and as soon as the battery goes in one controller, we swap it.
    I used to use the play and charge, however, I found that if you use the mic while charging it will give off a buzz. It got quite annoying after a while so I made the above set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i had a dodgy play n charge thing so i got the contraption that charges two at the same time, works aok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Orb play and charge kit is what I have. Really really handy. I personally find them better than rechargable batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Have been using the play and charge kit since I got my 360 a few years ago now, still using the same one and still getting decent life out of it (finished career mode on blur without charging once if that's any kind of indication...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Having problems with my play and charge kit. If the wire isn't plugged in, my controller has absolutely zero battery life. I presume the battery is screwed.

I've tried doing the "mini-charge" trick, but that doesn't work either. Pain in the rectal cavity, may invest in a new play and charge kit as its been bugging me for a while.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I've tried doing the "mini-charge" trick, but that doesn't work either. Pain in the rectal cavity, may invest in a new play and charge kit as its been bugging me for a while.
    You mean unplugging as soon as the light goes green, then plugging in and repeating (20+ times) until the light stays red?

think thats what happened to my one, it would jsut never charge the batt, kinda annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Arrghhh Zombie thread!
    Thought I'd just post here instead of starting a new thread.
    Anyway does anyone think a cheap play and charge pack like this from dealxtreme would be okay? Even if it only lasts a year surely it would be worth it at that price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Arrghhh Zombie thread!
    Anyway does anyone think a cheap play and charge pack like this from dealxtreme would be okay? Even if it only lasts a year surely it would be worth it at that price?
    at that price I doubt you can go wrong.
    Just an observation, they way that you charge them is different to other recharge packs. So I doubt you can mix and match with other products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 e5211

Im sorry, but 12 heavy duty Polaroid batteries in the 2 euro shop for.. yup 2 euro :p
    Put the same amount of money into them and they will last as long as a rechargable pack would probably start to fail.
    And its easier to keep playing

• Advertisement

Arrghhh Zombie thread!

If the Wii charging dock that I bought from them is anything to go by, DEAR GOD NO!
    Absolutely useless piece of ****... Loses all charge within the space of 2 days, so I have to start charging 2 hours beforehand on the rare occasion that I want to play my Wii

Better off just spending a few quid more and getting the official kit imo

i actually had no charged batts yesterday so, charged 2 on the official xbox 2 battery plug in charge kit thing and in 15 mins it charged the batt to last at least 5 hours, never even flashed on the controller or any issues and im sure will still work today...

i figure 15 mins would get me a small bit then id swap to the other batt

but yeah 15 mins for hours of play then the other batt charged in an hour

i have a cheap controller dock thing but it takes forever to charge the batteries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'd go with Play & Charge too. If, by chance, I haven't been keeping an eye on my battery power and it runs out, slip the lead in and continue playing. It's a life saver, especially when the batteries die at a crucial time in the game, or when you're playing Live.

Advertisement