Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSCommerce without the OScommerce as such

Options
  • 17-06-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

OK, might be a particularly silly question, but our companies website could be better (couldn't they all says you !) - anyway.... We are an wholesale equine company and I wanted to have the site showing products, without the prices when the click in initially, and then they would have to log in to view the prices and order from there if they wish.

Now ... of course not everyone is getting the same prices so we would need to assign certain prices to certain customers... can this be done with OS commerce.. I would be kind of ok with it but just don't want prices showing initally and only when you login to do get the prices or is it just too difficult.

Rgds.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The issue with it your requirements is the different customers signing in and seeing different prices. i cant speak for OsCommerce itself but I would imagine not many of the carts out there if any would be able to let you have something like this.

You would need a setup where you create an id that is allowed view certain products or a certain page and then you give people that id to login and view the prices, if they are a customer who you charge a higher price you give them login details to a different id with different prices. But this means you are emailing them with the id and they have already contacted you, someone random coming to the site wouldnt have the login details and if they registered woul get a standard login which doesnt suit either.

I think realistically though you would be better just showcasing the products on the site and then getting them to contact you for pricing. Maybe someone knows of a better solution or a plugin for Oscommerce that might allow something like what you want though.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sage4me

Hi Axwell,

I know, that is what I was thinking.. I might just do that.. last question I haven't really researched it yet, but will when we decide to do it, but can I show the goods without having a price beside them.. or do an add to cart, just so they can order online if they login ?

Sorry I know I should read the documentation, but ye guys are normally so well up in the know and it saves me hours.

Rgds

Caroline

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi sage4me, Zen Cart has a module that allows you to set up customer groups, so you can have 4 or 5 prices per product. So it's not a price per customer, but it might help you out.

Also, I think it's either an out-of-the-box option, or at least a very easy change, to not show prices until someone is logged in.

Hi Eoin,

It will be a long haul as we have over 1300 products, but will be able to whittle it down to product A) available in colours x/y/z and sizes x/y/z.. so I will see what the boss wants and go from there.

any other suggestions always welcome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Virtuemart also supports customer groups with different prices for each. It's also quiet easy to put in a conditional statement to check that the user is logged in before displaying any prices.

If you have 1300+ products you could use CSV to export/import them to your new system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

With Apache's "Open for Business" (OfBiz) you can define "Agreements" between "Parties" - in this case between you and your customer. The agreements can take many forms, and have many elements and one type of agreement is a sales agreement that lists specific products and pricing (amongst many other potential terms).

OfBiz is in my view the most complete eCommerce solution out there but it's actually a (very) fully featured ERP too so its implementation can be quiet complex (and hence costly) and it is not typically considered an "off the shelf" DIY type solution that other well known eCommerce solutions are. But if you need something unique you could not find a better foundation - IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

everything you can think of is possible. in your case, its very possible. In the admin section -> product listing you can turn on and off the price of objects.

Or, assuming you have a grasp of php and how it works.. put an if statement that says if the client is logged in, display price, otherwise dont.

the different price thing is also very simple. There are multiple ways of doing it. Ill give you a round about way of doing it. If a user is logged in - they can only see certain categories. Thats a very VERY basic way to do it, and it lets you have complete control and ease when changing prices for a certain customer.

oscommerce is awesome. Everyone has their own preference what shopping cart to use. I use oscommerce because i understand how it works and how to make it do what i want. Other people will say otherwise, but at the end of the day they are all do the same thing.

Hi everyone,

Installed OScommerce and now have this error message

'1146 - Table 'Carolin_admin.configuration' doesn't exist

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]'

any ideas ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

yea... Table 'Carolin_admin.configuration' doesn't exist!

It's trying to write to a database table that isn't there. Looks like you missed a step in the install process or something. Oscommerce is well passed it's sell by date tbh. There are much better options available.

Hi Scotty,

Any suggestions other than OScommerce that is easy ish to use?

Caroline

• Advertisement

Hi Scotty,

Any suggestions ?

Caroline

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Possible solution Maybe?

How about just duplicating your current shop?

Say it is equine.com
    Now create a sub domain wholesale. equine.com
    Install what ever program you currently run your shop on.
    Change your logo to reflect the wholesale shop.
    Copy over your database into a new one for the new site.
    Restructure your prices as you wish
    and delete any non wholesale customers from the database.
    Now enforce admin approval for any new members on the wholesale site.

Advertisement