Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I have meter readings for all my bills?

Options
  • 17-06-2010 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Can I have meter readings for all my bills so they are not estimates? For some reason the meter belonging to my apartment was located in a substaion of which we are not permitted to gain access too as it is deemed to dangerous! As a result I have absolutely no way of taking a meter reading for my ESB and never will. Can I request that all my bills are based on a reading as opposed to just estimates, given the circumstances?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi cfr07,

ESB Networks plan to read the meters 4 times a year and estimate twice.

2 of your bills will definitely be estimated. Reading the meter 4 times a year keeps meter reading costs down and is in line with international practice.

If there are access difficulties, such as those you mention, you may receive more estimates.

In these circumstances, we would advise you to contact your Management Company or Letting Agent to arrange access to your meter, to take a reading.

You can then submit this reading online here and we will issue you a corrected bill.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cfr07

Thanks for the reply Chris. That's really disappointing to hear though. I understand the need to keep costs down but I would have thought given the circumstances an allowance could be made. I've already had numerous conversations with the management agent but it is not within their control, they have been advised that ESB will not allow us access to the meters due to their location and the safety concern. The substaion where they are housed is not owned or controlled by the developers, management company and management agent. I'm kind of annoyed that everyone else in the country has the option to read their meters regularly and ring this information in so that their bills are accurate but I am being denied this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Try get a smart meter with IHD on the next round of installs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cfr07

Thanks Davy am a bit confused with "next round of installs" can you explain more about what you mean, any suggestions to try and sort this out would be mush appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They have got the full quote of people for the trial of smart metering at the moment, but i think more are planned, so if you try get your name down, they might do it for next when they are installing the next batch of meters.

The IHD (in home display) will show you what your using, so you wont have to physically read the meter yourself. In the mean time you could buy a energy meter yourself and record your usage that way. Owl or wattson are two brands of the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

I've already had numerous conversations with the management agent but it is not within their control, they have been advised that ESB will not allow us access to the meters due to their location and the safety concern. The substaion where they are housed is not owned or controlled by the developers, management company and management agent.

I can appreciate your concern cfro7. This is a less than ideal situation where you do not have access to your meter.

In general, a meter would never be located in a substation.

Your meter may be located in a Switch Room in your apartment complex. This is not a substation. In most apartment complexes, the management company will have a key for access to this switch room. What normally happens is that they will arrange access for you to take a reading if necessary.

I would need some more information, to find out what the situation is in your particular complex. But to confirm, your meter would never be located in an electrical substation.

ESB Networks are responsible for meter reading. If you would like to PM me your Account number, I will contact them on your behalf to discuss this matter and I would hope get a resolution for you.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Davy wrote: »
    Try get a smart meter with IHD on the next round of installs

There won't be a next round of installs because once the trial is completed in January 2011, they'll be disconnecting the "smart" part of all the smart meters and decommissioning the vast bulk of the equipment they've installed for the trials.

Once the final report is compiled by the CER, they'll then decide on whether the national rollout is feasible.
    Even then, it'll be 2016 at the earliest before we see a national rollout, more like 2018!

Advertisement