Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight issue

Options
  • 17-06-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Had little Dara 10 weeks ago now and he is doing super - he really is great. i had imagined sleepless nights and all these terrible stories i was told or read but i must say he is brilliant - has been sleeping through the night since he was about 3 weeks. going to bed now at 9.30 and waking about 7.30 sometimes 8. he is very noisy in the night though so am thinking of moving him into his own room - is it too young to move him at 10 weeks?

i have a problem that is getting me down though - it's the weight issue. am 11 stone - 2 stone heavier than i was pre pregnancy and it is not moving at all! i am walking everyday and watching what i eat but nothing is budging it. does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this weight? ihave a wardrobe full of clothes that i still can't wear and don't want to buy clothes as i want to get back to my prepregnacy weight.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

i found with each of my 3 pregnancys that after 2 weeks i lost no more weight.

1st was a girl 9lb 1 and i was 8 stone (size 8-10) i put on 3 stone, after 2 weeks i lost 2 stone and that was that i lost no more. size 10/12

2nd was a boy 5 weeks premature 7lb 6 oz i was 9 stone put on 2 stone and lost 1.5 stone in 2 weeks after that i lost no more. size 12

3rd was a boy 8lb 15 oz 1 was 9.5 stone i put on 3 stone in 2 weeks i lost 2 stone and no more (size 14)after a year i put on another stone and stayed a 14/16.

I found the baby weight hard to shift, thats why i till have it 3 years after my last one was born ( must say when the 2nd baby was 7 months i fell pregnant again so no much time for my body to get back to normal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi all,

Had little Dara 10 weeks ago now and he is doing super - he really is great. i had imagined sleepless nights and all these terrible stories i was told or read but i must say he is brilliant - has been sleeping through the night since he was about 3 weeks. going to bed now at 9.30 and waking about 7.30 sometimes 8. he is very noisy in the night though so am thinking of moving him into his own room - is it too young to move him at 10 weeks?

i have a problem that is getting me down though - it's the weight issue. am 11 stone - 2 stone heavier than i was pre pregnancy and it is not moving at all! i am walking everyday and watching what i eat but nothing is budging it. does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this weight? ihave a wardrobe full of clothes that i still can't wear and don't want to buy clothes as i want to get back to my prepregnacy weight.

thanks

It's never too young to move them to their own room. I had my first daughter in her own room from 8 weeks because she was noisy and she's fine! My second daughter has been in her own room now for four weeks on and off (I say this because there's a big double bed in her room as well as cot and she come back to our room if we have guests staying at the moment.

A good baby monitor will put your mind at rest. Usual cot rules apply, blankets tucked in under armpits, feet to foot of cot, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

Try to cut out any ready made food and processed food. No sauses no dressing except olive oil. cook by boiling and grilling. eat a low fat yougurt or a fruit (or small portion of salad) 2-3 hours between meals or as soon as you feel hungry. DO not starve as this tends to store the fat in the body more. I brought a small container of salad and yogurt with me every time I went out.
    I went from big size 16 to a slim 14 in two weeks like this. Try some yoga or stretching excerses at home when the baby's asleep. I found walking did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

yeah i hear you, the walking seems to be doing nothing. am thinking of starting with those home fitness dvds and also am considering those slimming shakes - has anyone tried any of them likeslimfast celebrity slim etc? have never tried them before but just thought i might, having seen them in chemist last time i was in.

think i will move the little tot to his own room or at least try it out.if it doesnt work and i'm too paniced i can always move him back in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Give yourself a break! The unwritten rule is 9 months on and 9 months off! Go a diet if you like but give your body a chance to recover properly. If you aim to lose a lb or 2 a week, you'll be there by 9 months. I still have a stone to lose and baba is 16months. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I found walking did no good for me either so i started running... and i love it.. only problem is now i tore a ligament in my ankle doing the mini-marathon and i'll be on my ass for 4 months..:mad::( i tried walking today and it took me 30 mins to walk about 1k.. so frustrating cos i cant' drive yet either.. nightmare!

+1 on the don't starve apart form anything else you can get very down at this stage post pregnancy it's around the 3-4 month mark that postnatal depression can rear it's ugly head. i always find when i'm hungry that i get very contrary and snappy and sometimes teary..

dont' be too hard on yourself it's early days.. have you tried swimming?? i know it's not easy getting out with a small baby but it's great.. maybe a water aerobics class??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I stressed over this when my baby was small too but honestly you only gave birth 10 weeks ago, and your body is still in a transition between being pregnant and not! Your periods still haven't re-regulated and there are still pregnancy hormones hanging which will affect the way your body treats food and exercising.

Your body puts on extra weight during pregnancy to store nutrients for the baby and for breastfeeding. It really does take a while for it to get round to not being pregnant. If you're eating well and doing some exercise now then it sounds like you're doing all the right things, and it really will start happening soon, just give it some time.

I was pretty much the same as you and couldn't shift anything and was still a size 16 at Christmas when I had baby in June (I was 14 pre-preg). Bought some nice clothes at Christmas and by March I was back to a 14 and they were all too big for me!! At least I still have them for the first nine months after I have this baby lol..........

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

mozattack wrote: »
    yeah i hear you, the walking seems to be doing nothing. am thinking of starting with those home fitness dvds and also am considering those slimming shakes - has anyone tried any of them likeslimfast celebrity slim etc? have never tried them before but just thought i might, having seen them in chemist last time i was in.

think i will move the little tot to his own room or at least try it out.if it doesnt work and i'm too paniced i can always move him back in

Here, don't worry about your weight just yet, it's not even 3 months since you gave birth.

You will find that in a month or so that efforts to lose weight will start to work once your body has had time to recover a bit. I didn't lose an ounce for about 16 weeks and now it's coming off fairly easily with only a small amount of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

i know you are right, i try to tell myself that it will shift eventually, but am just sick of being this big and not being able to wear my old clothes!and being so stubborn refusing to go shopping for the size i am!

i guess it just takes time and i need to be more patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

Please buy yourself one thing nice and stop punishing yourself.
    You had a baby 10 weeks ago!!!!!!! - Congratulations by the way :D

You absolutely need to keep doing what you are doing by exercising and eating well and good on you - but you need to look after your mental health too and be kind to yourself.

What would you say to your sister/best friend if they had such a tiny baby? "Yeah you're a puddin' - get on the treadmill" - I seriously doubt it!!! :P

Your body needs time to adjust - you're doing everything right - keep going and it'll happen. Also, as babies get heavier, you're biceps get a better workout :D
    A good baby monitor will put your mind at rest. Usual cot rules apply, blankets tucked in under armpits, feet to foot of cot, etc...
    +1 on the great cot advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Weight watchers is working for me. Steadily losing between 1/2 and 3lb a week. Its slow progress but I'm being patient. If I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight by the time Megan is 9 months I'll be happy. If i'm lighter I'll be over the moon!

Advertisement