Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

• 17-06-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭

Ok so, its finally done. I was so nervous before hand. Almost took the pass paper. But I took the honours one, and I'm very happy I did. I dunno about you guys, but it was easy enough I thought. I did every single question except 15 part b. Didn't know the heart experiment, winged it:D Anyways, I thought it was a nice paper.

What about all you guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

It did seem to be easy, but that didn't help when I blanked most info for a good hour and a half. Even photosynthesis and food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

I found it a bit tough. I was hoping for a low B/high C, but I think I got a low C :(

The experiments were rubbish, I only did the heart one, VERY half assed. The 2nd part to the Ecology question was just weird...

But at least boards.ie predicted SOMETHING right, a small bit on viruses came up :D Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Thanfully I learned the heart experiment really well (predictions are sometimes right!!) haha and the IAA one for the same reason.
    I answered every question except 11... can't even remember what that was about haha!

It was okay... I think! I found myself pretty short on time though.... Normally you're able to answer every single thing on the paper with plenty of time spare and this time I left a question out and still short on time..... Was weird...

Anyway, so glad it's over! Was really worried beforehand and Biology is supposed to be my best subject!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

really disappointed :( got 89% in the mock and really really wanted an A1 but not after that paper :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

It went fine for me, Biology's my favourite subject so i'd done a lot of work for it.

It wasn't a nice paper though, the old reliables that usually got near exclusivity in long questions (genetics, respiration, genetics) were either mixed with other aspects of the course or asked in a very unusual way. Experiments too, asking questions on 5 or 6 different experiments in question 8 was just sneaky, don't think that was very fair. Overall they seemed to be really trying to incorporate as many aspects of the course as possible to stop the people who just cover the 6 major topics getting an A1.

Anyone who got a high grade today will have earned it IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

It was okay...i'd say high D/low C...the experiments were rough and I blanked on the genetics q. But hopefully it was ok!
    My drawing of the male reproductive was terrible though...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I thought it was ok. Question 8 was weird I'd say some people thought it was a bit scary maybe not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

I thought the paper wa tricky but manageable.
    The pictures in the short questions were brutal though but the questions were alright.

The experiments were okay the predicted ones came up and q8 was easy if you knew your experiments. Q9 though was worded differently to normal and you didnt have to discuss using different concentrations and all that.

Long questions were all mixed up presumably to take away the predictibility and learning 4 sections for full marks. The ecology Q15 was weird. I did all the questions except for 15(b) thought that was hard.

Overall hopefully got the A

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I felt, even though it was more difficult than previous papers, (Section A in particular - %'s without punnet squares??) I hope that I got an A1..

Im going to look back over the paper when its up with my book and see how many marks I could I have lost in total (Hopefully not over 60:)) Im more confident because I did all of Section C.

Never did IAA so skipped it, but I liked the fact that 8 wasnt even an experiment Q, just general bits and bobs;)

Hope ye liked it too:D

Would we be marked much harder/easier depending on how people did?
    Does this 'bell curve' thing have much impact on your grade?

I doubt it could that much for Biology:confused:
    leg wrote: »
    I thought the paper wa tricky but manageable.
    The pictures in the short questions were brutal though but the questions were alright.
    This reminds me, was that ribosomes or food thingys in the amoeba? (I said ribosomes, I dont even know if they have them..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Thought it was quite easy. Hopefully I got a B.

• Advertisement

Marking schemes will be adjusted as necessary to ensure the required number of A's, B's etc.

As for the crosses... why didn't you use a punnet square? I did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I thought it was easy enough. Very broad, nothing too specific asked.

Hadn't a feckin' clue was B was on the Amoeba.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Marking schemes will be adjusted as necessary to ensure the required number of A's, B's etc.

As for the crosses... why didn't you use a punnet square? I did!

I did in pencil at the end and rubbed it out, i think my guesses were good!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

really happy with it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

What percentages did people get actually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

What came up on part (c) of the DNA replication long question??? Im worried because I cant remember what it was and I may have left it out???:confused:

What percentages did people get actually?

100, 50, 75 and 50? :)

Oh and as for the Amoeba, I said that B was "food vacuoles".
    Because if you look carefully, there were little black dots inside the circles, and in my book it showed the same thing for food vacuoles.

Ribosomes are just tiny little dots, and waste particles are solid black shapes. :)
    (That's just the diagram in my book though....!)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Same as what i got!

For the amoeba question the teacher said that they'll giving out about it at the marking conference because the diagram is so bad and multiple answers will be accpeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 s0ur_cherry

What did people say for 10 (b) (iv), Each mRNA codon specifies one of three possible outcomes during protein synthesis. Name these three possible outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

What did people say for 10 (b) (iv), Each mRNA codon specifies one of three possible outcomes during protein synthesis. Name these three possible outcomes.

start codon, stop codon and amino acid?

• Advertisement

Monahanmissus has it right, start, stop or code is what I wrote, same thing

yeah i said something like it starts coding, ends coding or attracts tRNA with amino acid... would that be right yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I think that'll be cancelled seeing as 99% of people were like this having seen it:eek::confused::mad:

Xtina!! wrote: »
    What came up on part (c) of the DNA replication long question??? Im worried because I cant remember what it was and I may have left it out???:confused:
    :rolleyes: I don't think there was a part c? Maybe that was a different question actually. Check it online sure!

Oh and as for the Amoeba, I said that B was "food vacuoles".
    Because if you look carefully, there were little black dots inside the circles, and in my book it showed the same thing for food vacuoles.

Ribosomes are just tiny little dots, and waste particles are solid black shapes. :)
    (That's just the diagram in my book though....!)
    Those percentages were really easy if you had a clue about genetics.

Annoyed no actual genetic cross or any genetics sort of stuff didn't come up though. That's like 20 hours of study for nothing:cool:

Xtina!! wrote: »

There were 4 qs on differences between terms, think haploid and diploid, homozygous and heteozygous, genotype and phenotype and segregation and independent assortment.

theowen wrote: »
    I think that'll be cancelled seeing as 99% of people were like this having seen it:eek::confused::mad:

There have to be some questions that the majority found difficult in order to sort out the top students

haha, I was a bit confused. :( I wasn't sure what it was they were trying to ask, and then just had a guess and wrote: peptide, polypeptide or Protein depending on the length of the chain of amino acids..... :(

Now I can see that's NOT what they're looking for after I read what you had all put down... :o

Those percentages were really easy if you had a clue about genetics.

Annoyed no actual genetic cross or any genetics sort of stuff didn't come up though. That's like 20 hours of study for nothing:cool:

I had to double check mine as 50% came up twice lol. :P

Yeah I like the proper genetic crosses so was annoyed too! :( especially after apparantly, the guy who did the paper is really into genetics. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

that sounds better actually, maybe you'll be right!

Advertisement