Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

God ye hate me. :rolleyes:

Awh no your not the worst!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Lawliet wrote: »
    Maybe, but it's kind of unlikely. I know a few medical students, and my best friend is just finished first year vet med. All of them got straight As though secondary school, came out with A1s in biology and they struggle, they're happy if they can just pass. My friend described the level of biology they're suppose to know now "like doing junior cert for years and then suddenly being expected to do the leaving cert" it's such a jump up.
    Really if you can't handle leaving cert biology -which is not hard by any means- you should really reconsider if medicine is right course for you,

I see where your coming from. But there is a lot of time for improvement during the college years, and I know most people that do medicine are "Top A" students, but not all.

Anyways I'm not gonna get into a huge argument, good luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Lawliet wrote: »
    Really if you can't handle leaving cert biology -which is not hard by any means- you should really reconsider if medicine is right course for you,

Thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

leaving cert biology -which is not hard by any means

Slightly unfair comment - no subject is "easy" or "hard"... each person has their strengths and weaknesses. Some are more science based , languages , maths ...

You may find it an easy subject but that doesnt mean everyone does - I doubt you get straight A's in all your subjects !

( Not trying to start an argument... )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Hang on now... you can't say "no subject is easy or hard".

Physics is a tough subject for the most scientific of minds.

Biology is not.

• Advertisement

Hang on now... you can't say "no subject is easy or hard".

Physics is a tough subject for the most scientific of minds.

Biology is not

I have a friend whos gets As in Physics , is unreal at maths etc.. and does crap in biology - maybe its down to lack of study on his behalf but he says he puts in the work.

Some subjects may me more demanding than others but that doesnt mean its easier or harder.

If biology is so easy then why doesnt everyone do it if they are guaranteed a good mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Oh crap it just occured to me, for that genetics short Q, did the red haired question need to have X Y and X X? i did like R r.... oops -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

PARARORY wrote: »
    Slightly unfair comment - no subject is "easy" or "hard"... each person has their strengths and weaknesses. Some are more science based , languages , maths ...

You may find it an easy subject but that doesnt mean everyone does - I doubt you get straight A's in all your subjects !

I meant by comparison to university level biology, and even other science subjects, biology is not hard. It's very straight forward, the majority is just learning off with no really difficult concepts to grasp. I'm not saying people who struggle with biology are 'stupid' or anything like that, I'm just saying that if you struggle with leaving cert biology and are considering medicine, you might want to rethink whether or not you'll be able for the course.

I meant by comparison to university level biology, and even other science subjects, biology is not hard. It's very straight forward, the majority is just learning off with no really difficult concepts to grasp. I'm not saying people who struggle with biology are 'stupid' or anything like that, I'm just saying that if you struggle with leaving cert biology and are considering medicine, you might want to rethink whether or not you'll be able for the course.

Oh right sorry - fair enough I would agree with you there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Oh right sorry - fair enough I would agree with you there :D

OMFG I said the same think and all I got was f**king abuse!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

muffinz wrote: »
    Oh crap it just occured to me, for that genetics short Q, did the red haired question need to have X Y and X X? i did like R r.... oops -.-

No the question didn't mention that the gene for red hair was sex-linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

The only "twist" in the red hair question was that, as red hair is recessive to all others, the male had black hair and his father had red hair you had to twig that the male was heterozygous (as his father was home recessive) in order to correctly complete the cross.

Mazda wrote: »
    No the question didn't mention that the gene for red hair was sex-linked.
    ah ok thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

I think what they probably meant is that if you want to be a doctor, then you shouldn't find Biology hard in school, as it's about to get a lot more complicated if you study medicine!

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I thought it meant. :)

The only "twist" in the red hair question was that, as red hair is recessive to all others, the male had black hair and his father had red hair you had to twig that the male was heterozygous (as his father was home recessive) in order to correctly complete the cross.
    I cant remember what i wrote because ive blocked out all my memories of the past 2 weeks :p but looking at the question now, is it rr for the mother, and Br for the father?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

muffinz wrote: »
    I cant remember what i wrote because ive blocked out all my memories of the past 2 weeks :p but looking at the question now, is it rr for the mother, and Br for the father?
    Yup...

As far as I can remember it was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

Parents: Father - Rr x Mother - rr

Gamete's: R+r and rr

Rxr= Rr
    rxr = rr

RR=Other Colour
    Rr=Other Colour
    rr=Red Hair

So by that the chance for red hair babies is 50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Just wondering, why people are giving out about ameoba coming up?

I think Bio needed a little shake up like that... Exams, they shouldn't be too predictable, and Bio is certainly a subject were it is almost impossible to predict what shall come up...

Phew, nice to know I got 5 marks at least xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

Just wondering, why people are giving out about ameoba coming up?

I think Bio needed a little shake up like that... Exams, they shouldn't be too predictable, and Bio is certainly a subject were it is almost impossible to predict what shall come up...

well said....like i must say i enjoyed it....like the whole point learning a subject is to expand your knowledge on it not to just memorise certain sections.....and to a certain extent im glad boland didnt come up for that same reason....(tho i feel bad for the people who just learnt her!)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

I was so glad to see Ameoba and Nervous system up :O Ameoba should have been an easy 20 marks to anybody who glanced at it!

I was so glad to see Ameoba and Nervous system up :O Ameoba should have been an easy 20 marks to anybody who glanced at it

Same , i mean its less than a page in the books so its easy enough to learn!

Reflex arc diagram was nice , aced it =)

Same , i mean its less than a page in the books so its easy enough to learn!

Reflex arc diagram was nice , aced it =)

Deffo. I forgot some labels to it but you dont need too much labels anyway. I knew the main ones!

Does anyone know what were the 3 outcomes that mRNA can be? It threw me off :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

Deffo. I forgot some labels to it but you dont need too much labels anyway. I knew the main ones!

Does anyone know what were the 3 outcomes that mRNA can be? It threw me off :(

I think its start, stop and amino acid. Amino acid because codon's code for them and the other two for obvious reasons.

Does anyone know what were the 3 outcomes that mRNA can be? It threw me off

Most people agreed that it was those stop codons start codons etc....

Most people agreed that it was those stop codons start codons etc....
    Hmm.. They phrased that weird.. Feck it! Can't do much about it now :P

Hmm.. They phrased that weird.. Feck it! Can't do much about it now

EXACTLY!! If they said it in an easier way I would have known what to put down. Don't see the point in the examiners questioning our ability to interpret questions rather than our knowlegde of the syllabus!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

I got 100, 50, 75, 50.

I got this too I done out punnet squres as rough work...:):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

. . .I didnt think it was easy
    I went blank in there, dunno what happened and left. Came out bawling :( Got a B1 in pre...so gutted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

D'you think there'll be some kind of marks going to Q2 for doing out the punnett squares even if you got it wrong? A long shot...

Advertisement