Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology - Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LCgonnakillme

For Q2 section A I got the right answers. But i remember as soon as I walked out of the exam i put a wrong answer in one of the boxes, iwas in a rush at the time... but i had the right answer in my rough work worked out properly and labelled as Q 2 etc.
    Will the examiner give me no marks cause i put the wrong answer in the box or will he/she give marks because i had the right answer in my rough work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

zam wrote: »
    D'you think there'll be some kind of marks going to Q2 for doing out the punnett squares even if you got it wrong? A long shot...

Its 4 or nothing!

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sazdestar

I thought it was ok.. i thought the experiments were lovely.. Ecology question was bit weird.. it was a nice enough exam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NR

To people who did question 12C, the True or False questions, what did ye put down for this one?

"The only remaining natural ecosystems in Ireland, for example mountain land above the heather line and salt marsh, are ones for which mankind has no use."

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

NR wrote: »
    To people who did question 12C, the True or False questions, what did ye put down for this one?

"The only remaining natural ecosystems in Ireland, for example mountain land above the heather line and salt marsh, are ones for which mankind has no use."
    I said false because some ecosystems in Ireland are being conserved such as woodland.

I don't think it matters what you say as long as you can back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

I said that it was false. And then went on about putting wind farms on mountain land. And that you could use waterfalls for hydroelectricity (not sure if this happens in Ireland though!)... that people use the bog for fuel, and that people also use natural ecosystems for recreation. :D

What did you say? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NR

See I was thinking what chaoticmess said, but I was also thinking along the lines of deserts being largely unaltered by human activity. I ended up saying it was True, because mountains are too rugged and salt marshes too wet... but in hindsight I shouldn't have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

PARARORY wrote: »
    I have a friend whos gets As in Physics , is unreal at maths etc.. and does crap in biology - maybe its down to lack of study on his behalf but he says he puts in the work.

Some subjects may me more demanding than others but that doesnt mean its easier or harder.

If biology is so easy then why doesnt everyone do it if they are guaranteed a good mark?

That has to be down to lack of study. Physics and maths, you work out all your answers on the spot, while the majority of Biology is learning off stuff.

Also, that is pretty much exactly what happens every year at my school, I don't know about others, but looking at the size of this thread compared to threads for other subjects I reckon that's a common occurrence. There were 5 in the physics class, and 2 classes of biology totalling nearly 60 students (out of just under 100 in the year) in my year, and that's pretty much the way it is every year. I really wanted to take physics but they wouldn't let me because of the timetable, so had to settle for biology instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

what is the best biology book ? from all Lc books?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

I said that it was false. And then went on about putting wind farms on mountain land. And that you could use waterfalls for hydroelectricity (not sure if this happens in Ireland though!)... that people use the bog for fuel, and that people also use natural ecosystems for recreation. :D

What did you say? :)
    See I was thinking what chaoticmess said, but I was also thinking along the lines of deserts being largely unaltered by human activity. I ended up saying it was True, because mountains are too rugged and salt marshes too wet... but in hindsight I shouldn't have

Are both of them answers not kond of wrong? I mean the question was "The only remaining natural ecosystems in Ireland, for example mountain land above the heather line and salt marsh, are ones for which mankind has no use."
    Do them answers not say:
    1. That first one about windfarms may have been right if you had said 'True' maybe Im wrong but it seems you're contradicting yourself:confused:
    2. The second one Im not sure and you don't seem too sure either but hey Im sure it went fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I said it was false, because woodlands are used for forestry and hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

The marking scheme will look like this i think

True or false = 2 marks
    and
    Any valid reasoning = 4 marks

Because pretty much anything can be right for that question really

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Pete29

D'you think there'll be some kind of marks going to Q2 for doing out the punnett squares even if you got it wrong? A long shot...

I was thinking something similar. I did my rough work in my script with the answers worked out. Thing is for the first answer I accidentally wrote down 50% instead of 100% but my rough work showed it was 100%. Anyone know if I'll still get the marks?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

I said false, because of The Burren in Co. Clare for example, it's a natural resource and is used by man for tourism purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I said false, because of The Burren in Co. Clare for example, it's a natural resource and is used by man for tourism purposes.
    yeah i said that too, that they were important for the economy because of the tourists that visit the area

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

muffinz wrote: »
    yeah i said that too, that they were important for the economy because of the tourists that visit the area

Ya, that makes perfect sense I think?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

I said false because it is not true that the only remaining natural resources are not needed by man. Why? Because there are hundreds of forests(i.e the natural ecosystems) on this island that are untouched by man even though they could be used for timber manufacturing (i.e a use).

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

i said false because the grassland ecosystem is used by farmers etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

leg wrote: »
    i said false because the grassland ecosystem is used by farmers etc
    Same.

Hedgerow ecosystem is used to border fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I said false... by definition, aren't even cities ecosystems? You can examine the interactions between organisms and their environment there too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

For the 'simple compound supplying H' question, I put water, then briefly outlined how water is split and H is carried by NADPH. I knew precisely where the confusion would lie there, but I'm quite sure water is the answer they want due to 'simple compound' being in the question.

For the breastmilk question, I mentioned prolactin and said removing milk stimulates further milk production.

Start/Code for amino acid/Stop are the only 3 outcomes I can possibly think of, don't think there could be another answer but I agree it was phrased awkwardly.

For the Swine Flu question I just said older people might have achieved active immunity to similar flu types and so would be less likely to be affected by the flu than young people who would have less exposure to flu.

for the tissue I used in the IAA question, I said meristematic. I'm not sure, but since roots/shoots are what you examine in order to determine the effects of growth, and meristematic is responsible for growth, it seemed plausible. We never ever addressed that in class though and I do not recall it being in the book.

Overall it was a different paper, new structure and more precise questions. It was harder than last year IMO, possibly even the hardest for a few years, but still good. Personally I did a couple of extra questions, was finished with about an hour and fifteen minutes to spare...went back and rewrote my short question/experiment answers very very carefully in pen. (I first did it in pencil and all my teachers have warned me about my atrocious handwriting. Was taking no risks!)

Some tricky questions but I hope it went well for all and you all get the high grades you deserve!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

scherzo! wrote: »
    MY EXACT ANSWER HAHA! "Peptide, polypeptide, protein". Such a stab in the dark. I guess we tried our best though! I've been getting A's in Biology since 5th year and that question just made me sick. XD

That question was a nightmare, like it couldn't have been phrased worse!
    I said the mRNA codon could pair with a DNA codon, an rRNA codon in the ribosome or a tRNA codon in the ribosome! They'll have to award multiple answers for that one, I've heard about 4 different ways people answered it and they're all correct :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Smonocco

I was doing honours, but changed to pass at the last moment because I didn't think I had done enough study. It wasn't too bad as I had looked at most of the stuff that came up the night before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    That question was a nightmare, like it couldn't have been phrased worse!
    Yeah I took one look at that question and decided to give it a miss. I'm surprised so many answered it; it was one of the toughest questions on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Lawliet wrote: »
    Yeah I took one look at that question and decided to give it a miss. I'm surprised so many answered it; it was one of the toughest questions on the paper.

Me too! I was proud that I remembered which base pairings are compatible (as well as the pyramidines/purines) and was going to attempt it because of that, which was pretty dumb of me seeing as that part was only worth 9 marks! In the end didn't attempt it at all, and glad I didn't...the majority of it passed me by completely :) I think I would have been making most of it up to be honest...

Areq wrote: »
    what is the best biology book ? from all Lc books?:pac:

We used Edco's 'Biology-Revised Edition' by Michael O'Callaghan, and while I can't compare it to other books because I only used that one, I think it was a great textbook. It has a great layout and a summary of the chapter at the end of each chapter. Also, has nice colour photographs and clearly marked Ordinary and Honours level pages (Honours do everything in the book, Ordinary level doesn't have to do the pages with a yellow line running from top to bottom).

Highly recommended, one of my favourite coursebooks to be honest. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Alison92

For the very first question in the shorts...is a Triglyceride the smallest unit of fat? that word totally threw me off...:(

Alison92 wrote: »
    For the very first question in the shorts...is a Triglyceride the smallest unit of fat? that word totally threw me off...:(

I said a triglyceride was three fatty acids + glycerol, which is correct, but I didn't mention anything about it being a unit of fat...which is correct too, btw. I hope they'll accept either, I think they will....I hope they will... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

leg wrote: »
    The marking scheme will look like this i think

True or false = 2 marks
    and
    Any valid reasoning = 4 marks

Because pretty much anything can be right for that question really

marks in biology generally come in multiples of 3.

so this farce of a question will probably be marked 3 + 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

you were not asked to show any form of 'working out'. so ALL marks will be awarded for the %age. sorry.

Advertisement